It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Knight Unmanned Combat Vehicle.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
www.baesystems.com...

www.defense-update.com...

BAE Systems is currently testing a remotely controlled, semi-autonomous armored vehicle known as "Black Knight", designed as an early prototype of an Unmanned Armed Combat Vehicle. This robotic armored vehicle is equipped with a turret mounting a 30mm gun, and coaxial machine gun, derived from the Bradley combat vehicle.

The Black Knight Unmanned Combat Vehicle can be controlled from the commander's station of a Bradley. Gun and turret position, as well as information from the Black Knight's Commander's Independent Viewer (CIV), and the Improved Bradley Acquisition System (IBAS) can be seen on a the commander's display. Limited autonomous functions are applied to the turret systems, including the ability for the turret slewing to a cue from the Commander's Independent Viewer. When dismounted operation is required, soldiers can continue and operate the robotic vehicle through the Dismounted Control Device (DCD). Mobility enhancements completed in 2006 include advanced robotic technology for autonomous mobility. This capability allows the Black Knight to plan routes, maneuver on the planned route, and avoid obstacles - all without operator intervention.

On a separate issue, another robot vehicle is being sent to Iraq (not the Black Knight yet).

Modular Advanced Armed Robotic System

This robot is a bit improved over the previous unmanned combat units.

My comment on the Black Knight, it it the most biggest improvement in unmanned combat vehicles over previous years. It is supposedly weights about 13 tons, and fires that kind of firepower which is the 30 mm gun.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   

My comment on the Black Knight, it it the most biggest improvement in unmanned combat vehicles over previous years. It is supposedly weights about 13 tons, and fires that kind of firepower which is the 30 mm gun.

I agree entirely!

Russians learned their lessons in Chechnya and fielded BMPT, a support vehicle designed specifically for urban warfare.

While the BMPT is a modified T-55 chassis with a 5 man crew and massive firepower, the Black Knight takes the concept further and takes the man out of the equation.

This approach will with out a doubt bring casualties to a minimum.

I only whished that it also had an automatic grenade launcher, and then it would be complete!

Let’s hope that it’s put in service soon, and that it performs as designed!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Darn.

I thought this was a Batman 2 spoiler!

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
That opening post somewhat reminded me of this:

The Bolo was a heavily armed and armored fighting machine designed with the latest AI systems, and was to conduct operations with very little need of human intervention. Even in the early models, Bolos could perform such tasks as unassisted guard duty, fire support, and relocation due to hostile fire without the need of human assistance.

Bolo

I wonder if we will ever reach that point where we'll just ask(command) our machines to fight our wars for us. But if in case we do, what's gonna stop our machines from rebelling against us?

I only whished that it also had an automatic grenade launcher, and then it would be complete!

Secondary Armament for all Bolos ranged from point defense gattling guns and rapid fire grenade launchers for anti personnel use, to VLS (Vertical Launch Systems) for missiles armed with conventional and nuclear warheads.

[edit on 11.16.07 by toreishi]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Bolo huh?

That's a nice fantasy machine right there, although it's very large and bulky.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Why do I get images of this thing being sent to a bridge and a "monty python holy grail" scene being recreated?

Looks nice, wonder if it comes with speakers crying : "Have at you!" or "I'm invincible!"

new topics

top topics

join