It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic school or public school?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This is a topic that's been bugging me for a while, so I'm hoping to get some honest feedback here. So please only answer if you have a sincere opinion, and please don't bash me.

I'm wrestling with the decision where to send my little son next year, when he's ready for kindergarten: our local public school or a private Catholic school. I even made a list of pros and cons, but I'm getting nowhere with it. I'm going back and forth on the issue, and some of my considerations definitely fall into the more supernatural category, so here it goes.

I'm a "recovering Christian"; I was very active in Christian church, YMCA etc. when I was a teenager, but then quit church because a) I couldn't reconcile my critical mind with the discrepancies and atrocities in the Bible, especially the OT, and b) because I found that many so-called "devout Christians" I knew were the most vile and selfish people I'd ever seen. For many years now, I've been more of the open-minded, pantheistic New Age type.

What worries me about sending him to public school is the government indoctrination and intervention the kids receive there. I don't trust the government a bit. Also, our town is a resort town and full of wealthy people (we're not), and naturally my son would go to school with kids who are all about money, the latest fashion fads and coolest toys. I don't want him to be in the midst of that and pick up this purely materialistic attitude, AND find that he can't compete. I also don't necessarily want him to grow up atheist.

On the other side, we have the Catholic school in the next town over. EVERYONE I talk to says it's a great school, so I know he'd get a good education. I also like the "school uniform" thing -- the great equalizer. On the other hand, I'm deadly afraid of him coming home one day and telling me that I'm a "witch" and deserve to be stoned to death or some such thing.

So, my dilemma is mainly a spiritual one. I don't mind him getting "a little religion." I actually like the Christian values emulating Jesus' life: compassion, charity, love, humility, etc. and I do know a lot of Christians who are wonderful people because these values were taught to them. And I figure I can always talk to him at home, e.g., tell him what I believe in, and remind him that it's his own choice what he wants to believe.

Then there's another issue, what I call the "Dark Side": I absolutely do believe that demons exist (I've had some very real encounters with nasty entities in my life), and I do KNOW that invoking Jesus' name can work wonders if you ever encounter something like that. So I'd like my kid to have some sort of "spiritual buffer" in case he has inherited my susceptibility for supernatural experiences; i.e. I want him to know how to pray in case he needs it, and have a strong spiritual foundation. (I'd even have him baptized, just in case.)

On the other hand, there are the fundamentalist Christians with their often hateful and derogatory attitude towards gays, other faiths, etc., that simply scare me to death, and I don't want him to become one of them. I also don't want him to believe that man was created 6,000 years ago and that God put fossils into the earth to make scientists think mankind is older than that... what a nonsense. I'm also writing a New Age "memoir" about my supernatural experiences, and I don't know how well that would sit with the school officials...

So, to exaggerate a bit here, I have to make a choice between:

a) him receiving no religious indoctrination, but potentially becoming a materialistic kid who cares about nothing and no one but money and himself; and who has no protection from the dark forces I've encountered so many times;

or

b) him receiving the protection and benefits of a strong spiritual belief, but potentially becoming a religious bigot and fundamentalist who hates his parents for being "heretics."

What should I do?

[edit on 8-11-2007 by sylvie]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

EVERYONE I talk to says it's a great school, so I know he'd get a good education.

Who is "everyone." Do you trust them? Are they hardcore fundamentalists?

I never attended catholic school but my mom did, and raised me catholic. I attended church every sunday and a catholic religious education program after school every thursday. My father only came to mass with us on christmas eve. He was more of an agnostic non-practicing lutheran. So I had two different models of religion in my family.

I bet the catholic school would be ok if your child sees that his parents are not hardcore fundamentalists. Once your child is old enough to make up their own mind, you can explain to them that you really had no choice seeing as how public education is garbage. Actually that wouldn't be a fair statement. The public school I attended did not adequately prepare me for college. That doesn't mean every public school sucks.

PS- I'm very interested in your experiences with demons. If you feel comfortable talking about it you can U2U me anytime.

-SJ76

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Thank you for the input, Scramjet. I hope I'm getting a lot more responses so I can hopefully make up my mind. I can't U2U yet, since I don't have enough posts... but here are my "demonic" experiences in short form:

In my early 20s, I experimented with a self-made Ouija board (didn't know it was one then) trying to contact "the dead," as I had heard on some late-night radio show. I had some weird "conversation" and didn't think much of it, but afterwards strange things started happening. I felt like I was being watched from behind all the time when I was at home, I started having horrible nightmares, and as a culmination I saw a dark-gray fog hovering below the ceiling that appeared sentient... and evil.

Years later, I had a poltergeist in my apartment (only noises, no flying things or such) that scared me half to death.

Years after that, I experienced nocturnal astral attacks that would often start out as terrifying dreams. Then I would wake up and the thing that had "chased" me in my dream would still be there.

I also had experiences with human "minions" of the Dark Side, as I call it. One was an apparently very friendly psychic reader (I was one at the time as well). During a reading he gave me, his face all of a sudden turned into something else and he started saying things that were completely out of context from the reading. It was like another face overlayered his own (I can't describe it any better) and he said: "And there's a commitment to be made. It's not a big deal, though, no big deal at all. And once you make that commitment, you can have ANYTHING you want." I immediately froze up because I had heard that line before, from stories other psychics had told, and that particular line NEVER comes from the "good guys."

I said, "What kind of commitment?" and all of a sudden he "switched back" to his normal self and had no idea what I was talking about. Later I found out that he was a very dark person, though.

Another one of those "human minion" experiences almost got me killed, and not just that, I strongly felt that I could have lost my soul if I hadn't been saved in the last minute.

These days I have a pretty normal life and no attacks anymore. But if my son is anything like me, he'll have to deal with those things sooner or later. So naturally I'm worried about him.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
That is very interesting sylvie. How old are you now? Have you stopped having these disturbing experiences? Did you ever have any abnormal / frightening / unexplainable experiences as a child?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on your original question. BTS is a good community so hopefully you can get some more feedback.

If you stick around and reach your 20 post mark I'd be interested in chatting more over U2U. I find your experiences to be unique and detailed. Very interesting.

-SJ76

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
My daughter attended Catholic school from Pre-K til graduation. I choose Catholic school not only for the superior education it provided but also because it was a much smaller school with the benefits that entails. Remember that if there is a program that public schools offer that isn't at the Catholic school your kid has the right to participate in that program since your tax dollars pay for it.

Catholic schools also provide some moral guidance. Our school didn't really attempt to indoctridate the students although they did have to take religion classes. Our students also had to complete a certain amount of community service prior to graduation which I think is a good thing.

Overall if I had to choose again I would make the same choice. As with any school I believe parents are the ones primarily responsible for teaching their kids a belief system.

If I can help in any way please U2U me..

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Sylvie, Demons are absolutely real, Jesus himself talks about them in scripture.

Now you say

" Recovering Christian "

and your worries are about your child being tuaght about hating witches?

Do you not know scripture?

Jesus says, love your enemies and do good to them.

Also if your are Christian, then you do believe in

" I am the way truth and life " right?

He is God in the flesh. So if your child does grow up in the faith, and tries to convert souls, dont get upset at that. Your child is called to be a literal Angel of God.

If you think Gods real, and say, well I dont want him being drummed with this or that ect..

If your child does grow up in the faith, you know it is possible to try and convert people peacfully. This is what faith means.

Nonetheless, teaching people to hate witches is not Christianity.

God is love. Grace is love. the only reason we have a conscience is because his grace (if youve seen true evil in humans) you will know what I mean.

So if any teacher in a catholic school teaches this, they are hypocrites.

I would suggest, you do Gods will, and I would suggest send him to Catholic school.

MO.

peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hi Sylvie/

What should I do?

What to do, where to go,what is the right choice?

I can tell you now that the right choice would be your own.
You can have many opinions based on the experiences of others, but the right choice would have to be yours alone.
If it is an opinion that you are asking, and it is!
I would say take your child to a public school and teach him kindness and good morals.Doing this comes at an early age as this will have great impact when the child grows up into adolescence..based on how you (and partner)have raised hi/her as a child.
Although you may get him coming home with things that you dont like to hear or dont agree with(and this happens everywhere)his young life on how you bring him up will eventually be the outcome.
I was brought up in a public school, but my parents were my influence in what really mattered....and this I found out when I had a child of my own.
Take care,
helen

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You will give your child a better education in a catholic school for the most part. I went to both and to be honest enjoyed being in a catholic school better. To be honest about the whole religon thing, it isn't done in a forceful way. Yes he will have a religon class but I don't think you shoudl worry about your child coming home and wanting to stone you in all probability it isn't really gonna happen, he may have akward questions for you from time to time but on the whole Catholics tend to be more considerate of other faiths.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
My son lives with his father during the school year and when he was in Kindergarten, they put him in a Catholic school.

I think Catholic schools (at least a number of them) have came a long way from nuns who smack kids on the hands with rulers. I think they are trying to reach out to other faiths besides catholic for a student body for more diversity and obviously more revenue for the school. The kids at my sons school did attend mass and said grace before lunch, but I really didn't feel like religion was being shoved down his throat.

I think it also made a difference that neither I nor his father are religious and we continued to teach him to look at religion with his own mind.

I would say visit the school (if you haven't already), read some reviews, see what the average reading levels of the students are and make your descision based on the quality of education. If you do put him in for his kindergarten year and decide that it's too religious, you can always send him to public school the next year and it shouldn't be a damaging transition for him.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

I didn't *just* have frightening experiences; I had all kinds of wonderful, uplifting supernatural experiences as well; I had others that were just plain strange. Since I've been married and had a child (and a rather ordinary life), those things have subsided to a large degree. I don't have the "demonic" sort anymore, but every once in a while other things still happen. Yes, I was a very "sensitive" child, and even though I don't remember much from back then, my parents told me that I had some psychic ability (everyone on the maternal side of my family did, and I got it too, even though I was adopted). I'm 42 now.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

"Recovering" Christian means I'm recovering FROM being Christian... ;o)

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

snowflake, jovi, gallopinghordes and helen, thanks for your input -- it's really appreciated. I know I have to make up my own mind, but it's comforting to hear that Catholic school may be not the brainwashing center I was afraid it might be. It's a great help to hear from others who have gone there, or sent their kids there.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
What school you send him to depends on the reasons.
For the standard of education or for the religion.
If its for the education private catholic schools are a better option but if its just for the religion then I'd advise for the public, because the more you push a child toward a particular religion the more he's going to pull away. Either one of two options will happen he will become one of them devout catholics that you said are usually horrible people or he's going to be angry at being forced into a religion he didn't chose.
So if you send him to a Catholic do it for the education not the religion.
Plus a child can do just as good in a public school as a catholic, it all depends on the student.

new topics

top topics

join