It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pop Pop. I Miss You

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
OK. I don't want this to be a boo-hoo thread.
This is in dedication to one of my best friends. My Pop-Pop.
He was just killed by a drunk driver.
I am in a bad state right now. Hard to wear a smile.

Enough of the bad stuff.

My Pop Pop Lombozo.

He came from a poor family in Italy. His parents could only afford to send 1 person to the New Land.
They sent a little 12 year old boy across the ocean by himself to the country where 'the streets were paved with gold'.
When he told me the stories of Ellis Island, I was riveted.
Anyway he had a relative who was already here, and he stayed with him.
12 years old. His family a thousand miles away. A new land where a little boy knew no one. He met his uncle for the first time after landing in America.
Can you imagine?
I can't.

He went to work pretty much immediately. That was the fashion of the time.
He worked, and saved. Worked, and saved. He eventually owned his own business. He brought his parents to the States.
He raised my Mom, and treated me like a king.
We didn't have much - in fact to put it bluntly, we were poor, but i didn't know it. He always did without so that I could have a toy.

He taught me to do the right things. He showed me what was right, and what was wrong. He showed me what it was to be a man.

Pop Pop, I miss you so much. In a world of several billion people, you are my role model. I raise your great grandson in your shadow. I only wish that I was half the man that you were. I promise that I will raise your great grandson to be like you, and I pray with all due respect that he surpaases you.

I love you Pop Pop. I miss you so much. Now that you're in heaven, give Mom Mom a kiss, and tell her I love her.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Lombozo,

I am so sorry for your loss!!!!

Just remember the stories and the good times and pass them on. That is how your Pop Pop will forever live in the memories of you and your children...

A drunk driver....

And there are still people on here that wonder why I do what I do for a living...

My Friend, I am available 24/7 anytime you want to talk....

Semper

ps... He taught you well my friend...

S

[edit on 11/8/2007 by semperfortis]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Hey Lombozo,

my absolute heart felt sympathies and thoughts are with you and your family.
I have lost a best friend and it is not easy so i can say i understand though Pop-Pop was also more than a best friend to you.

I wish you strength my friend.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
My deepest condolences to you and yours, lombozo.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Always here for you.Always.Remember that.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Semp, Sanctum, Shearder, Accessdenied
Thank you. I consider you all friends. Good friends. No - GREAT friends. Your responses have only magnified that.
Again, I don't want this to be a sad thread. This is in celebration of a great man.

I'm a mess right now, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate you holding me up.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

My dear friend..that is what we do.Be a pillar when it is needed.
Great friends always.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
So very sorry for your loss.

If you need to talk, we're here for you.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your Pop Pop sounds as if he is a great man and seems to me that you take after him a great deal. I'm sure that he is in heaven watching over you and yours. Hel'll live forever in yuur heart and mind and in your son's heart and mind because you'll tell stories of him. My prayers are with you; should you need to talk I'm a U2U aways.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Really sorry for your loss.

Man, I bet your Pop Pop had some awesome stories about growing up in those times.

And I bet your son will have some great ones in the future about his childhood.

ChiKeyMonKey

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm so sorry lombozo!
If you need a friend, I'm here too......

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I am so sorry lombozo. It's hard to lose a parent. When my mom died it took me month's to be close to ok again.

To be cut short in life is a terrible thing especially to something that is preventable. And my friends wonder why I physically fight them to keep them from driving drunk. It is such a selfish act.

Be strong man. Mourn the loss but celebrate the life.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear of this, and such a horrible fate!

I hope you're OK. If you need a friend, you know my U2U address.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Man so sorry to hear what happend lombozo You have a good community of friends on here aswell as your friends that are around you at the moment in time. Any time you need to chat I will be around stay safe and well lombozo.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am so sorry for your loss, Lombozo....

I will say prayers for your strength and guidance in these trying times.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm sorry for your loss lombozo. To read your words, Pop-Pop seems as though he was cut from an increasingly rare cloth... much the same as yourself, I might add.

If ever you need a shoulder or ear, just say the word my friend.

All the best...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Oh Lombozo,
I just want to give you a great big hug right now,

What an awfull event and im terribley sad for you,

You know im here for you anytime you need, Im only a u2u away, So please never feel alone through this time, You have a big family here on ATS and we will stand with you through this,

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I'm sorry for such a loss too, how terrible. Just by a drunk driver too, how awful.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Wow... I'm really saddened to hear this.

It's funny, listening to you describe him reminds me very much of my own grandfather who passed away about 10 years ago. Also an immigrant with no one but himself to lean on. Supported his family working in a bakery for so many hours that the only time he saw them was when they were sleeping, but he would forego any luxury to make sure they had a toy, a little bike, whatever it was.

We can't even imagine what it must have been like to arrive here with nothing and to make a life for yourself. These were strong people, so much stronger than us. I think it's something about that generation, what they saw, what they went through, wars, hardships...

While such a tragic loss will never make sense to any of us, the best thing to do is exactly what you're doing... remembering him for who he was, what he did, and the impact he had on your life. Those who knew him would consider themselves better for knowing him.

To me it sounds like this was a man with a strong heart, determination, and an unending dedication to his family. That most certainly will live through you and be passed along to your son as well. We can only hope to be nearly as great.

I'll raise a glass in his memory, but more importantly, in his honor.

Stay strong my friend.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I so sorry for your loss. Your Pop Pop sounded like he had a full and amazing life. I sorry he was taken from you so suddenly. My sincerest condolences to you and yours. Cherish his memories and take comfort and find solace within each other.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join