It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Bull is dangerous?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I first must admit I drink 2 or more Red Bulls a day.

So, who is pulling their media strings against Red Bull GmbH which is owned by Dietrich Mateschitz an Austrian billionaire.

I saw a spot on Fox News explaining that Red Bull mixed with alcohol could be dangerous. I thought "hey no doubt, an upper and a downer, no good". For which I can't find a link to a video. I'm suspicious of everything Fox says; first I wondered why just Red Bull? How about cola or coffee? Both are commonly consumed with alcohol. Red Bull has 30mg/100mls of caffeine vs drip coffee which has 61mg/100mls. One of my favorite drinks is a espresso martini; espresso has 175mg/100mls. Source

MedHeadlines.com

According to a study done by Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, mixing energy drinks with alcohol is associated with with a higher incidence of risk-taking behavior, compared to those who drink alcohol with no energy drinks.

Now the news is that Red Bull is bad for the heart.

FoxNews.com

If you have high blood pressure, you might want to avoid downing energy drinks, like Red Bull, according to a new study conducted by Wayne State University researchers.

The Sun

Beware: Red Bull Can Kill

So lets try and find out how this string was pulled. Why is Red Bull being targeted? This is a minor issue, but in order for us to cut the strings we have to find them.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Well, anything is dangerous if used in sufficient quantity. I mean, have you seen a college frat boy hopped up on about 12 red bull and vodka? The words 'blissful lack of common sense' are very appropriate here. I've seen someone try to run up a brick wall on this stuff. It's just another example of people being irresponsible and not wanting to own up to it. Ergo, we must blame the product or supplier, rather than our own idiotic behaviour

[edit on 11-8-2007 by Loki]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Loki

Here is a calculator to help you know how much you must drink to die. Entertaining to play with Death by caffeine

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Well red bull and alcohol is obvious, people when drunk loose a lot of the inbuilt danger warning systems that we have spent a life time building up - how many times you woken up and thought 'damn, I was lucky to get out of that one'?

We all know that people who drink too much caffeine (especially to reduce tiredness) are twitchy, they can be a bundle of undirected energy, and just crash at random times - they are not very consistent. Well that is the same (worse even) with these high sugar / caffeine 'energy' drinks, they are easy to down in number - and if that person happens to be driving after working and is now 'peppy', 'twitchy' and inconsistent in their actions that can be a lethal combo - and in all honesty (as a long time m/bike rider) I think that's as f'ing irresponsible as drink driving... but strangely legal.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
There's this stuff in Thailand called 'M-150'. Red Bull and all the other energy drinks are watered down, carbonated versions of this. In fact, I seem to remember the guy who came up with Red Bull used the Thai drinks as bases.

M-150 is EVIL. It costs about $1 a bottle for foreigners, pretty expensive, but if you ever need to wake up in, say, .02 seconds, then skull a bottle of this toxin down. I drank it to excess while over there (I remember going out and buying ten packs), but had no ill effects. Apparently the recipe is as old as the hills. No doubt the health concerns are related to the extra ingredients that were added when the drink was marketed to the West.

I believe that if you have to drink a Red Bull a day to keep on top of things, than your diet is seriously lacking.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Everything is dangerous. People are dangerous.

Heck if you eat 25 eggs a day like Mr. Strong, you'll quite possible be very ill, but it's fine in a child's story.

Moderation for the nation!

Hold on that's a touch NWO!

Dude/Op you need more sleep.

MonKey

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by smarteye

wow cool, to kill me it would take:

* 120.37 cans of Red Bull
* 66.41 cups of McDonald's Coffee (large)
* 107.00 bottles of Starbucks Frappucino
* 283.23 cans of Vanilla Coke
* There's no caffeine in Sprite, (I love sprite!!) so that won't kill you. You can go for death by sugar intake, though.
* 230.38 cans of Red Devil + You = Death.
* 253.42 cans of Pepsi-Cola
* 175.09 cans of Mountain Dew

- looks like the most efficient way is with McDonalds large coffee.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I'm trying to figure why Red Bull is being targeted and not caffeine in general. I believe the study is an excuse for a smear campaign.

The clearest link are that both Fox and The Sun are owned by Rupert Murdoch, but you have to believe there are degrees of separation as to who set this campaign in motion.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Wiki give the ingredients as:
Carbonated Water, sucrose, glucose, sodium citrate, taurine, glucuronolactone, caffeine, inositol, (niacinamide, calciumpantothenate, pyridoxine HCL, Vitamin B12, artificial and natural flavors, and colors)

here

A quick read of other pages gives glucuronolactone as one of the bad guys. glucuronolactone

but reading here on Taurine is a bit more worrying.

Taurine has also been implicated in a wide array of other physiological phenomena including inhibitory neurotransmission,[10] long-term potentiation in the striatum/hippocampus, membrane stabilization, feedback inhibition of neutrophil/macrophage respiratory bursts, adipose tissue regulation, and calcium homeostasis.

[edit on 8/11/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
So they say. Caffiene is a drug. High blood pressure, rapid heart beat are consequence of 'red bull' and its twinners. A real threat. Not BS.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Yep... agree, it's banned in Denmark. Although I must admit that I have on numerous occations mixed it with vodka for a more up beat night out.
Drink it with moderation...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Red Bull was named simply because it's the best known 'energy drink' in the UK.

The study - carried out by Dr James Kalus, of the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit - actually found "a link between consumption of "energy drinks" and high blood pressure or heart disease risk. The researchers found healthy adults who drank two cans of a popular energy drink a day had above normal blood pressure and heart rate"

Where's the conspiracy now?

Source: Medical News Today

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I dunno how dangerous red bull is-but I can't drink the stuff,or any "energy" drink.They make me feel really weird.1 red bull in the afternoon would be enough to stop me sleeping the whole night.
Tea,coffee-no problems.
I once mixed it with alcohol(what a bad move)and felt like I was going completley off the tracks,shaking with flickering light effects whenever I closed my eyes.This lasted for hours and hours and was torture.

That was a good decade ago-not touched energy drinks since.

I'm sure it could cause big problems for people with heart conditions.
Bad stuff.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I used to drink an energy drink for breakfast everyday. It wasn't a red bull but it was a cheap brand called "rip it". after about 6 months of this i started having problems going to the bath room and my [SNIP] got very sensitive. So now i quit drinking them for breakfast, and only drink in moderation now. There is a new one out there called "howling monkey" it is only 99 cents and works good. I tried that 5 hour energy drink one time before a softball game and after i was running, my heart was just racing, and thought i was going to pass out. I think they can be dangerous if you over do it, but should be ok every once in a while.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by ChilledVoodoo]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I think Energy drinks are stupid.
If you are too lazy to do something, making yourself hyperactive will not help.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
an ex-GF of mine used to drink red bull, big style, 4/6 cans a day, every day.
she collapsed at work and was rushed to hospital.
when she told the doctors how many cans a day she drank, all compasion from the doctors left the room and she was told to wise up and sent home red-faced

did it make her hyperactive, no
just a complete nut

DCP

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
they have been saying red bull and vodka have been bad for you for years. this one is probably hearsay, but i heard that the red bull makes you think you are more sober then you are...so drunk people who think they are only buzzed equal bad stuff

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Fox News and the Sun mention "health risks" of hundreds of products each week. Thats what they do. Its called collecting data and publishing it - news. No conspiracy here.

Apart from that, I find simple breathing techniques far more effective than red bull. Energy drinks often bank on the "placebo effect", meaning that because you think it works, it will work. The actual effect is only to feel a little shaky and uneasy rather than "energetic".

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I understand the health risk that are real. I'm just saying it is unfair that one company is being named. I feel it is a deliberate move to hurt Red Bull sales. By naming Red Bull, the media is associating it with danger, but the danger is the caffeine, which is associated with hundreds of products. So who's sales will be effected?

Since Red Bull has been the target of such Smear campaigns before, I just wonder who can make Red Bull the culprit, when the real issue is caffeine.

Who wrote this script? If the media is just a tool of the elite, then stories like this are brought to light because of the intentions of someone who stands to gain from a Red Bull loss. These sort of undercover PR moves take place everywhere and are more or less the best form of advertising if your competitor stands to lose.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by smarteye
One of my favorite drinks is a espresso martini; espresso has 175mg/100mls.

u get a star for that lolz

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join