It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Inventors...Extraordinary Inventions!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I'm assuming that the "Horse riding saddle" invention refers to a specific patented design? I make that on the basis that the saddle was invented a long, long time ago. Various types of stirrupless saddles were used by horsemen in the ancient world - some had projections to make the saddle more suitable as a fighting platform. The stirrup emerged in various forms in around to 300 BC, and probably emerged from Scythian regions to help prevent their cataphracts from falling off their horses!

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tep200377

I agree 110% with what ur saying. Maybe u should start a thread about somthing diffrentwhich white people have done in a few weeks, and see how many people call u racist...coz i bet its alot.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Sadly though, when we have people like noble prize winning DNA pioneers like Dr. James Watson making dubious scientific claims such as "Blacks are genetically less intelligent than Whites"...

The only thing that is dubious here is your scientific knowledge. It is scientific fact that blacks, on average, are less intelligent than whites, provided you acknowledge that an IQ score is a scientific measure of intelligence.

Let me further protest you anti-racists by pointing out some basic truths:
1) Interracial marriages are still in the extreme minority. Races breed within themselves.
2) The nationalism of the last two centuries is what we today call racism. It was grouping together and discrimination based on race-religion. To the point of starting a nation and kicking out anyone who didn't belong.
3) Freedom of speech includes the right, your right, to discriminate based on any aspect of any person you please. You can't have it both ways, either you have full freedom of speech or you have no freedom of speech.
4) Scientific, DNA, differences DO EXIST between races. This is absolutely impossible to deny.

So basically, based on your egalitarian, politically correct beliefs, you newage pseudo-intellectuals pass laws eliminating free speech so that YOU don't feel bad that someone else might feel bad.

Well heres news for you, as a libertarian: **** You. I'll think what I please and discriminate against whom I please. You can go live in a third world state with Africans, (who will probably kill you for money) that's your business.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DearWife

Here's a rebuke to the claims made in the OP:

www33.brinkster.com...

Traffic Signal
Invented by Garrett A. Morgan in 1923? No!
[snip]
Gas Mask
Garrett Morgan in 1914? No!
[snip]
Peanut Butter
George Washington Carver (who began his peanut research in 1903)? No!
[snip]
Automatic Lubricator, "Real McCoy"
Dr. Charles Drew in 1940? No!
[snip]
Blood Plasma
Did Charles Drew "discover" (in about 1940) that plasma could be separated and stored apart from the rest of the blood, thereby revolutionizing transfusion medicine? No!
[snip]
Washington DC city plan
Benjamin Banneker? No!
[snip]
Filament for Light Bulb
Lewis Latimer invented the carbon filament in 1881 or 1882? No!
[snip]
Heart Surgery (first successful)
Dr. Daniel Hale Williams in 1893? No!
[snip]
"Third Rail"
Granville Woods in 1901? No!
[snip]
Railway Telegraph
Granville Woods prevented railway accidents and saved countless lives by inventing the train telegraph (patented in 1887), which allowed communication to and from moving trains? No!
[snip]
Refrigerated Truck
Frederick Jones (with Joseph Numero) in 1938? No! Did Jones change America's eating habits by making possible the long-distance shipment of perishable foods? No!
[snip]
Air Brake / Automatic Air Brake
Granville Woods in 1904? No!
[snip]
Air Conditioner
Frederick Jones in 1949? No!
[snip]
Airship
J.F. Pickering in 1900? No!
[snip]
Automatic Railroad Car Coupler
Andrew Beard invented the "Jenny [sic] coupler" in 1897? No!
[snip]
Automatic Transmission/Gearshift
Richard Spikes in 1932? No!
[snip]
Bicycle Frame
Isaac R. Johnson in 1899? No!
[snip]
Cellular Phone
Henry T. Sampson in 1971? No!
[snip]
Clock or Watch (First in America)
Benjamin Banneker built the first American timepiece in 1753? No!
[snip]
Clothes Dryer
George T. Sampson in 1892? No!
[snip]
Dustpan
Lloyd P. Ray in 1897? No!
[snip]
Egg Beater
Willie Johnson in 1884? No!
[snip]
Elevator
Alexander Miles in 1887? No!
[snip]

Etc, etc., etc…

There’s a lot more. (source) Each entry is followed by a explanatory blurb showing why it's wrong.

somebody's been spreading ignorance...

[edit on 9/11/07 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Its kind of a strange reasoning to me to say that we would not have certain technology if it wasnt for someone in history. Because that would mean that nobody else after that person would get the same idea and the technology would never be invented. Sounds a bit strange doesnt it?

It was probably not the color of their skin which led them to their idea. More like they just got a good idea, like humans sometimes do.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Its kind of a strange reasoning to me to say that we would not have certain technology if it wasnt for someone in history. Because that would mean that nobody else after that person would get the same idea and the technology would never be invented. Sounds a bit strange doesnt it?

It was probably not the color of their skin which led them to their idea. More like they just got a good idea, like humans sometimes do.

I disagree.

If it were not for a few, very specific, people who developed and/or discovered completely new concepts in science we would still be living as surfs under a king and in fear of god.

This tiny minority have contributed everything from democracy to our mathematical understanding of quantum physics.

You could probably fit the people who have contributed significant groundbreaking research and ideas to science and society on a single piece of paper.

Newton, Tesla, Pasteur, Einstein, Planck, Darwin...

The list goes on.

To assert that 'it would have been invented eventually' is crap. You have no way of knowing that. It may have been millions of years before someone realized atoms were bound together with energy. Without the above mentioned people you, yes you, reading this, would be living in a hovel eating a fire cooked meal before it gets dark. You would have to wake up at dawn and work laboriously all day and you'd die at 40.

Respect the people who made the world what it is today. Respect them and respect the genetics which constituted them.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yandros
It is scientific fact that blacks, on average, are less intelligent than whites, provided you acknowledge that an IQ score is a scientific measure of intelligence.

But it isn't the only scientific measure, it is one of many. So you are quite wrong to say that "blacks" as you put it, are "less intelligent" because of lower IQ tests. You may as well say my car is better than yours because it has better brakes. All it means is my car stops sooner.

Put another way, fewer than 1 in 5 countries has the UK average IQ of 100. That doesn't mean people in the UK are more "intelligent" than people in 4 out of 5 countries. It just means that people in the UK score better in a certain measure of mental agility. Intelligence is a compound of many different things. Social skills, for example. I'm speaking hypothetically here, obviously, but it may be that your social skills are not as good as a person with an inferior IQ score. Then there's all the other measures - speed of thought, reactions, emotional maturity, adaptability, open mindedness...the list goes on.

1) Interracial marriages are still in the extreme minority. Races breed within themselves.

Not quite sure what point you're malking here... is this the sort of argument that says "I am 100% pure British, there isn't a drop of foreign blood in me"?

2) The nationalism of the last two centuries is what we today call racism. It was grouping together and discrimination based on race-religion. To the point of starting a nation and kicking out anyone who didn't belong.

Right. Racism may well be bred of nationalism. But the point is, the two are no longer the same. Racism is unwarranted prejudice against another race. Nationalism is pride in and protection of one's own country of birth. Whatever your race.

3) Freedom of speech includes the right, your right, to discriminate based on any aspect of any person you please. You can't have it both ways, either you have full freedom of speech or you have no freedom of speech.

Oh dear. Wrong again. No one ever said democracy was easy - and in a democracy, obviously, by definition, there is a conflict between free speech and a safe society. Free speech is not a fundamental right or an absolute - it is an ideal. Just as a safe society is an ideal. When the one threatens the other, the correct balance has not been struck. The pursuit of democracy is ongoing because it involves endlessly seeking to perfect the balance. You were not born into free speech. You were born into a democracy, which counts the opportunity to speak at all as one of its distinct advantages. Treasure it, do not use it as a weapon, or you miss the point of it in the first place.

4) Scientific, DNA, differences DO EXIST between races. This is absolutely impossible to deny.

Very true. Utterly irrelevant, but very true.

So basically, based on your egalitarian, politically correct beliefs, you newage pseudo-intellectuals pass laws eliminating free speech so that YOU don't feel bad that someone else might feel bad.

...and yet here you are, somehow struggling through the minefield of oppressive anti free-speech legislation and having your say, offending as many as you can in the process. Amazing, really.

Well heres news for you, as a libertarian: **** You. I'll think what I please and discriminate against whom I please. You can go live in a third world state with Africans, (who will probably kill you for money) that's your business.

I'd like to say "and you were doing so well". But you weren't. You were doing very badly. You're very lucky people fought to give you your "first world state" - I'm sure if they met you they'd be very glad they bothered.

LW

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

I disagree.

If it were not for a few, very specific, people who developed and/or discovered completely new concepts in science we would still be living as surfs under a king and in fear of god.

I'm kind of with Copernicus, here. It may well be that without individual X we would not have had technology Y at time Z. But who knows what other technology we've not yet discovered because the person hasn't come along at the right time? There's that old theory that the greeks had all the technology to make a steam powered gramaphone player. They just didn't.

As well as that, a force like electricity was not discovered, it was studied, since it sort of came with the planet, and then harnessed. By many people.

There's no reason to suppose that two different societies completely cut off from one another would not develop similar technologies at a similar rate. This is because technological advances tend to follow technological need. Whether it be "I need to move this really heavy rock over to that place" *PING* The wheel! Or "I need some sort of way to stop myself having to hang wet clothes all over the house all winter" *PING* The Washer Dryer!

LW

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   

You could probably fit the people who have contributed significant groundbreaking research and ideas to science and society on a single piece of paper.

Newton, Tesla, Pasteur, Einstein, Planck, Darwin...

The list goes on.

Indeed, yes it does - nice self-contradiction. It goes on and on, in fact, onto many many pieces of paper.

To assert that 'it would have been invented eventually' is crap. You have no way of knowing that. It may have been millions of years before someone realized atoms were bound together with energy. Without the above mentioned people you, yes you, reading this, would be living in a hovel eating a fire cooked meal before it gets dark. You would have to wake up at dawn and work laboriously all day and you'd die at 40.

With respect, what rubbish. Very few of the inventors and (no doubt) genius-like scientists you're talking about had some sort of spontaneous vision that was conjured out of their very genes. They studied, meticulously, for hours and days and weeks. As the very first person on your own list, Newton, puts it; "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants". Long story short, they got there through bloody hard work. Not by swimming in any particular end of the gene pool.

LW

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Isn't it strange that NO inventions were made in all of Black Africa until the white man showed up and civilized them. There were no buildings made of anything but thatch, no advanced anything!! Africa today would be a utterly primitive region if not for exploration.

If certain blacks had not ' invented ' or patented something, someone would have done so and within a short time, no doubt. like we would have no peanut butter if not for blacks? Yeah right. We would have everything we do now if blacks had not done anything about them.

For a race that has been around as long as any other, it sems odd that they have not progressed beyond tribal warfare and the nonsense we see in South Africa right now. Why did white people manage to lift themselves from a crude lifestyle to what we see now? Why were there no prining presses and electricity and cars and factories in Africa? Before the white man came and liberated the population from savage and crude living, there were NO advanced anythings there.

Africa today would not have running water and electricity and roads and an infrastructure if not for white men. I hate to say it, but I believe that the Negroid races were not ready for advanced society and if we had sealed Africa off and not allowed anyone to land there, today it would be just like it was for eons of time. There can be NO civilized society without natural advances in the brain and in the mind and I think that the black races were prematurely pulled from their development and that is the fault of others. But to say that we benefit from them in ways that would mean less if not for them is silly: Any invention that any black made would have been found by a white man, and soon thereafter.

Modern education and the influence of the white society has tamed and cultured the black races a lot, but they still tend to the lowest common denominator when left to their devices, as seen in all major inner cities.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Who Dares Wins
reply to post by tep200377

I agree 110% with what ur saying. Maybe u should start a thread about somthing diffrentwhich white people have done in a few weeks, and see how many people call u racist...coz i bet its alot.

Exactly Im neither white nor black but it really makes me mad when black people can do and say all kinds of things but if white people do it then its racist! For example all of the Black student groups such as BSA black student alliances, if white kids made White Student Alliances or White students club then it would be racist!

LAME

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

Harsh but very true. wow.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Africa has a history of building with stone. Egypt is in Africa, they have pyramids out of stone, not thatch. Egyptians do not have blond hair and blue eyes regardless of whatever "your" history book tells you.

Peanut butter actually was used by the Aztecs and they probably took it from the Mayans.

As for them surviving in a modern society and succeeding, what if modern conveniences went away. How many civilized white folks would be alive in 6 months. You have confused existing with your definition of succeding.

This thread started with a person posting about black inventors and there happened to be some falsehood with the list. It has now turned into a black-white argument over stupid crap. Everyone uses stuff invented by someone. I don't care if a house servant had an idea one day to put a handle on an already patented dust pan. I just use the dust pan with the handle...job done.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
In my opinion the real racist is th OP..she sounds like she is just so surprised that blacks actually invented anything...i never doubted the black intelligence..

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
Why is it that people want the color boundaries to be knocked down, yet they seem to always bring the color boundaries back up?

Why should it matter what color these guys were?

What purpose does this serve other than yet another means of segregation?

I was wondering the same! If we are to destroy such boundaries, original posts like one in this thread are totally counterproductive. Can't you see that? This "me too" attitude is a little ridiculous, actually.

Can somebody list the inventions of the Arabs, by the way? Their advances in mathematics, and chemistry ("alcohol" and "algebra" are both arabic words). On second thought, let's not. What do I care what nationality was the inventor?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinkyAs for them surviving in a modern society and succeeding, what if modern conveniences went away. How many civilized white folks would be alive in 6 months. You have confused existing with your definition of succeding.

What the heck is that?
What do "civilized white folks" have to do the topic? Do you want to speculate as to how many "yellow folks" would survive in the jungle? Unbeliebable...

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

like we would have no peanut butter if not for blacks? Yeah right.
Hi witness, If this is a reference to Carver you are way off track. George Washington Carver was often known for promoting peanuts as a cash crop in the south rather that the soil depleting cotton. As a chemist he was able to synthesize numerous products from peanuts including gasoline and nitroglycerine. His achievements and accomplishments undermined the stereotype of the intellectually inferior black. He was an example of success by hard work, education and positive attitude.

Does this sound much like some of our modern Black leaders in Washington?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyewitness86
Isn't it strange that NO inventions were made in all of Black Africa until the white man showed up and civilized them.

Absolute bull. But what is worse, you respond to a rascist thread with counter rascism of your own! Geez.. where does it end?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This thread has deteriorated into racism. Closing.

Not suitable for Science & Technology.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join