It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoke cessation: I did it! Here's some tips...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Smoke cessation, as anyone addicted to cigarettes knows, is one of the hardest things a person can ever attempt to do. After smoking for 10 years I've finally managed to quit, so I figured I'd offer some advice to anyone trying to quit....

1) Prepare to quit:
--Set a date to quit: Give yourself a few weeks to get a good mind set going, and look forward to quitting. You gotta psych yourself up for it. Also, if you work, set it on a day preceding some time off, like a weekend or vacation, if you have sick days use them. It's usually just the first couple days that are real bad.
--Cut down: as much as you can before your quit date. Try only allowing yourself to smoke in certain places and/or at certain times.
--Stop smoking in your car/house/office: This will help you cut down and you'll give your spaces a chance to "air out" before you quit. Trust me, you'll thank yourself once you quit.
--Practice craving: Go as long as you can without a smoke a few times before your quit date so you get a good feeling of what to expect. The cravings are your enemy and any wise person will tell you "know thine enemy"

2) Quit:
--The most important thing to remember, and tell yourself over and over, is that the craving/withdrawal WILL pass eventually. Look at it like being sick with the flu/pneumonia/food poisoning or anything else that really sucks - you have to deal with it, but its okay because you know that at some point you will get better.
--Do it cold turkey: I don't have the reference on hand, but I read somewhere that the highest success rate for quitters was among those who did it cold turkey, and they had the lowest relapse rate. It may seem harder but in the long run its more effective than NRPs (nicotine replacement programs) or drugs (chantix, zyban).
--Replace smoking: with something healthy. Turn into a health nut, make it a new hobby. Learn about eating right, exercise, and get in touch with the health community near you. When I quit I started running. It wasn't easy at all. Had to start off with light jogging and work my way up, but I tell you what, nothing kills a craving like pushing yourself till your outta breath. Also try pushups, situps, jumping jacks, anything that gets your heart pumping and your breathing rate up. Not only does exercise improve your health and help you detox, but it also releases endorphins, which make you feel better and takes the edge off of cravings.
--Drink TONS of water: Purified of course, don't poison yourself with town water. If you drink enough you'll be too busy refilling your cup and peeing to worry about smoking, plus it'll help with detoxing. Just don't over do it to water intoxication.
--Chew gum instead of snacking
--BREATHE: When you have a craving and you cant exercise, breathe. One thing I noticed when I was quitting is that I didn't breathe right during a craving. It would be shallow, slow, and inadequate. I think smokers are conditioned to only breathe deep when they smoke so you have to make an effort to do so on your own. The breathing technique that helped me the most was the "pursed-lips" technique; 3 seconds in through your nose, breathe deep to fill your lungs, 6 seconds out through your mouth with your lips pursed like you're whistling. Also for some reason it seemed to help if I hummed a little bit during this.
--Avoid the bar: If you drink then you know that it goes hand in hand with smoking. Don't go to the bar while you're detoxing. And don't tell yourself that you can go without cracking, believe me, you'll be smoking before the end of the first pitcher.

(continued)

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
3) Maintain:
--Avoid other smokers and places where people smoke until you're comfortable and confident that you wont be tempted to smoke. This usually takes a few weeks.
--Start a regular exercise program. There are tons of different programs/techniques out there. Weight lifting, running, taequando, yoga, pilates, calisthenics, footbag, boxing, just to name a few. It can be as simple as a few sets of crunches and push ups every other day or as complex as a full blown martial arts class.
--Practice eating right. Learn as much as you can about proper diet and nutrition. And learn how to prepare your own food and avoid processed junk and fast food.
--Notice whenever you smell smoke or a smoker how bad it smells and thank yourself for quitting.

I really hope that this has been helpful. There's a lot of info out there on smoke cessation, I just wanted to point out the things that helped me the most. Good luck! and remember to BREATHE

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Thanks for the tips Icon.

I'm fixin to quit for new years. I think I'm ready this time, I'm sick of being a smoker.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
i quit after about 12 years of smoking. been clean for about 5 years now...
went cold turkey...here is how i did it.

i stopped....thats the magic formula right there....just stop

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I've tryed that, but it didn't work. I guess I have a little less will power then you do. It worked for a month then I started my new job, everyone smoked and I gave in.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsujin420

it was not about will power for me....well, i guess.

i had just met my wife and was smitten. we were just courting and she didn't smoke. i felt bad when she came over my apt cause she would say it smelled. i started by going into the other room to smoke when she was there but i got to the point where i thought i was not about to lose her over friggin smokes....then and there i was done.

so i had something to quit for.

also, i never liked smoking. i did it cause i was addicted. never liked the taste or anything about it....i was one of those guys that would like one, take a few hits and toss it...if i bought a full pack i probably actually smoked half of the pack...

some dudes smoke it down to the friggin filter.....as long as you quit...thats all that matters

top topics

join