It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food in the North

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The one thing about wilderness survival that really gets me is the food aspect. I live in the Canadian East and if Sit X were to hit my survival plan involves heading somewhat North, which would put me in a boreal forest type climate. Shelter and fire I am not really concerned about. I know how to start a fire and I have prepared very well for the basics. I also have practiced building many shelters on various backpacking trips and can make a very elabourate wooden/tarp shelter in a weekend, let alone an extended period of time.

What really worries me is, what would I eat in a long term, sit-x survival situation in this area? This is not arctic land, there is a normal summer and spring, but rather harsh winters and autumns. Is there some basic trapping skills I should learn? Or should I try to get a permit (not so easy in canada) and pack a rifle into my survival kit?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Eastern Canada has snow grouse which can be killed with a thrown stick(they are not very "spooky" and you can walk right up on them), foxes, Woodland Cariboo(can be"flagged", flash a light colored rag and they will come right to you(works with western Antalope, and Greese also), many plants, etc....Learn trapping for sure, snares are the best...easy to set and carry a whole bunch... GET a Gun....

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Absolutely you will need a rifle. Get a .22 (at least) and learn how to use it. You can carry 1000 rounds for it in a backpack no problem and it will net you most small game. In the winter nothing will be growing, your only food options will be stored (unlikely) or killed.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

I agree with the .22 suggestion. The .22 also has a very light report when fired, which is good if you're looking to remain concealed. Plus, rifles chambered for a .22 are generally lighter and ammo is cheap.

I would also suggest learning what roots you can eat and how to prepare them. Kinda have to look at everything as a potential meal if necessary.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Do you mind if I ask why you are preparing for wilderness survival? I have often thought maybe this is something I should look into to but, can't imagine doing it on my own. Or where to start.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well, first of all I do a lot of backpacking and hiking as pretty much my only non-computer hobbies, and love the outdoors. Usually me and a few friends will go on a long high-difficulty trail and then veer off somewhere in the middle at the first body of water we find, circle it and set up our own camp far from the beaten path. I find nothing more fun than building a log structure to sleep in for a weekend or week and just relaxing in the wild. My problem is I always of course bring food. Aside from the occassional fish we just eat what we bring, which is usually typical camp food. Although I avoid anything elaborate like making bacon and eggs in the morning, I stick to mostly dry food and stuff that I carry normally in my survival pack for emergencies.

Now aside from that, I also have a paranoid side that is convinced that in my lifetime, and even in the near future we will face a Sit X. My personal bet is on global warfare of the nuclear type, where my backup plan is laid out to travel to this slightly northern location and attempt to live off the land.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Aside from the hunting info mentioned above, you can suppliment your nutrition with a good knowledge of edible plants (except in winter obviously.) You don't want to eat only vegetation since you will not get much calories, protein, fat, etc. and the side-effects of eating that much fibre could be unpleasant, but it will save you from starving if needed.

Younger members like myself that still live at home and might not be able to get firearms (I've got a pellet/BB gun but my parents won't let me get a "real" gun so if I had to "hunt" it would be limited to birds and squirrels, maybe rabbits) need to focus on edible plants like I mentioned above, trapping (mostly simple things like snares), fishing (which also includes nets and fish traps.) With regards to plants, I've mostly concentrated on weeds and the most common plants found in your area. For example here in Ontario things like wild carrot (queen anne's lace), clover, dandilions, etc are found pretty much everywhere.

If you plan on eating animals, make sure you know how to gut/clean and cook them over a fire as well

[edit on 11/8/2007 by Yarcofin]

new topics

top topics

join