It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Comet Holmes could impact earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I am sure that if you go into your backyard this evening, around 9-10 pm EST ( USA) you will notice a very bright light in the sky. No, that isn't Venus. It's not a UFO either. That light is the Comet 17P/Holmes, and about two weeks ago it appeared in the night sky out of nowhere. It experienced a sudden outburst on October 24th, and has gotten slightly larger and brighter every night since. However, I have been concerned for two reasons about this event: 1. It seems as though NO astronomers, not ONE of them, can explain this phenomenon, and 2. The comet's tail is not visible. I find it odd how quiet this story has been kept. It is not reported on the news, local or national, and astronomy websites offer few answers. Could this be a cover up on the part of the government to prevent information of a comet impact with Earth? And where is the tail on this comet? A blog entry I read while reading about the comet summed up my region of concern pretty clearly. Here is the entry:

eddiefrench.newsvine.com...

I was always told to be wary of any comet that doesn't show a tail. That's because the tail is streaming out directly behind it, opposite to its direction of travel, so you just can't see it.Of course, that may not be the only reason for the absence of an observable tail.Comet Holmes orbits the Sun once every 7 years at a distance of about 200 million miles (compared to Earth’s 93-million-mile orbit). As a result, it was re-observed in 1899 and 1906 before being lost for nearly six decades. Based on a prediction by Brian Marsden, of the Minor Planet Centre, the comet was recovered in 1964.Given that the resources required for tracking and compiling trajectories for these objects are mostly in the hands organisations and/or institutions which are capable of withholding calamitous information from the general public, the question must be asked:- Would 'They' tell us if it was going to hit?

So, what do you think? Is an impact nearing

[edit on 7-11-2007 by XFoxMulderX]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You will not always see the tail. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. The tail will stream from the side of the comet opposite the sun.

jra

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by XFoxMulderX

Not at all. Its orbit stays between Mars and Jupiter, as you can see here, so there's no reason to worry about it hitting us.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Just a little something something!

In the recent years, giant plant seed storage facilities have made the news in the event the world has a ..Bad bit of luck, in recent years the governments of the world seem to be much more interested in getting people off this rock and spending a bunch of money thats usually redirected to social services and other agencies, now we have a sudden comet Holmes pop out of no where!

It does seem kinda odd all things considered and also are all the astronomers 100% certain this comet is the very same one that never crosses our earths path *Comet Holmes* or could it be Apophis's cousin? Could this actually be a rouge comet heading for us and maybe not the Holmes comet?

Just a bit of interesting ideas.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
just a hint of things to come Henny Penny.... thank "godness" for "star wars"... if it wasn't for the bohemian grove, reagan wouldn't have known a thing!

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm more concerned about the moon. I mean think about it, most nights it's just there, it's like I'm here, and were like yheah. But I think it's more than that, I think the moon is waiting, waiting for us to be watching for comets or stuff. That's when the moon will strike, when were looking for comets and stuff. And the moon will be all like what are you going to do? And we'll like be all arragh. And stuff.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I'm more concerned about the moon. I mean think about it, most nights it's just there, it's like I'm here, and were like yheah. But I think it's more than that, I think the moon is waiting, waiting for us to be watching for comets or stuff. That's when the moon will strike, when were looking for comets and stuff. And the moon will be all like what are you going to do? And we'll like be all arragh. And stuff.

Where's that abovetopsecret awarder thing when you need it? Great post...it really made me see things a lot differently now. I used to think the moon was our friend, but it appears that you have uncovered more sinister intentions.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
no!!! the moon will save us as she revs up her turbo-thrusters and puts herself in harm's way, taking the full impact of that nasty comet.... she is our friend and protector... nay, i say, forsake not the moon

.... and stuff

[edited fpr clarification]

[edit on 15-11-2007 by never_tell]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
No offense to the poster, but I find it amazing that the person in the source is that knowledgeable about the history of the comet but doesn't know that the tail of a comet does not trail behind the direction the comet is going. It always flows away from the sun as shown in this image...

This is a common mistake for the average person, because we are used to seeing vapor trails or smoke trail behind an object when it is flying through the air. But in space there is no "air", so it does not act like it would in our atmosphere. The tail is blown by the solar wind away from the sun.

Now that we know that, if you look at the current position of the comet in the image that jra posted, you will see that Earth is positioned almost between the Sun and the comet, so the tail is behind the comet and does not look like the normal tail of a comet. It is not coming toward us and there is no chance of it hitting the Earth.

The coma of the comet is still getting larger but again that is because it is blowing out vapor and gas, and as we now know there is no air to stop it from getting larger. The comet nucleus is still the same size it was originally at 3.4 km. All the gas and vapor that makes up the coma amounts to very little mass, but it is highly reflective so it puts on a good light show. I would compare it to a fireworks burst in the sky. It starts out small and bright and will eventually spread out and dim out. In fact the overall brightness is dimming and soon we will not be able to see it naked eye.

As far as astronomers not knowing the reason for the outburst, that is true. They can only speculate and come up with theories, but just because they are not saying anything definitive, doesn't mean they are hiding anything. They just don't know.

and stuff..

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Originally posted by XFoxMulderX

Not at all. Its orbit stays between Mars and Jupiter, as you can see here, so there's no reason to worry about it hitting us.

Might become interesting however if it impacts an Asteroid in the Asteroid Belt. I actually doubt this object named Holmes is even a Comet (dirty snowball). It just does not behave anything like a typical Comet. The present coloring suggests it is either burning off Nitrogen Gas, or this object is actually Metallic and composed of Copper.

Since it orbits near the Asteroid Belt, it brings up the question, could Holmes actually be an escaped renegade Asteroid?

new topics

top topics

join