It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real F-15 joins massively multiplayer virtual war

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
hi guys!
I just want to know what y'all think of this:

The Register

According to Boeing, this is an "industry first". Apparently, a real F-15E Strike Eagle jet - one of America's most potent warplanes - was hooked up to a worldwide, massively multiplayer air battle game called the Distributed Mission Operations Network.

Boeing

I just got a couple of questions. what's the game's title? where can I download it? is it FREE?

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I have to assume that its limited to BVR only.

[unless the real plane is sat in a hangar with screens all around it]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

I just got a couple of questions. what's the game's title? where can I download it? is it FREE?

Don’t know about that one, but for the best flight sim featuring F-15 go right here;

lockon.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kilcoo316

It's all BVR, but it allows them to use it on real flights for once, instead of just in the simulator. It's invaluable training for the pilots to have a feel for what they'd see real world, instead of just on the computer screen. Simulators are great, but can only go so far.

This would also allow them to react to incoming threats as well, without having to go to Red Flag or another major exercise.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It's all BVR, but it allows them to use it on real flights for once, instead of just in the simulator.

Zaph, same thing, look into it first, speculate later.

LockOn is not “just a simulator”, it’s capable of fully networking with other users just like the majority of modern sims.

LAN and Internet game

This mode allows players to fight cooperatively against AI-controlled enemies, or fly head-to-head against each other via a LAN or over the Internet. At the start of a session, the player can choose their coalition, and after downloading the mission, choose an aircraft. With the help of on-line chat, the player can communicate with the other players in their coalition.

lockon.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by iskander

Where in the Boeing news article doing you see them refering to LockOn?

Boeing is talking about linking a Real aircraft to a Ground simulator. Not a Lan connection correct? Do i understand you in that your just trying to make a connection in say the the USAF is doing something just like your LAN party with friends on LockOn on your computer?

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

The whole point of this is to allow them to FLY one plane, but do training for multiple plane intercepts. It's saving time on the airframes, but giving them realistic training. What does "LockOn" have ANYTHING to do with this? You can't hook "LockOn" to a FLYING aircraft like this system does. Yes, you can link simulators together, across the world, but this is the first time a simulator has been linked to a FLYING aircraft.

"To be able to link a real aircraft with a simulator and train is amazing. Most people just talk about this capability, but Boeing is delivering it."

Boeing reckons this kind of VR-mixed-with-reality will reduce training costs for multi-ship missions. They say "a training exercise that would have required six operational aircraft and aircrew now requires only one."

We'll leave it to you to speculate on the possible results of people on the ground being able to inject information including targets into the weapons displays of combat jets (though to be fair, people in AWACS planes or using ground air-defence radars have been able to do this for some time).

www.theregister.co.uk...

[edit on 11/8/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You see Zaphod, in LockOn, you can experience the full effects of flying Su-37's and Su-27's and know how it feels like to be a super-duper Russian pilot.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 8-11-2007 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

Where in the Boeing news article doing you see them refering to LockOn?

It didn’t, toreishi asked;

And I’ve answered;

Don’t know about that one, but for the best flight sim featuring F-15 go right here;

Reading problems?

I don’t think I can spell it out simpler then that.

Boeing is talking about linking a Real aircraft to a Ground simulator. Not a Lan connection correct?

Redlevance? Btw, I’ve been in Boeing simulators - 747, 777, etc, personally.

Do i understand you in that your just trying to make a connection in say the the USAF is doing something just like your LAN party with friends on LockOn on your computer?

No, you do not understand, and I blame it on the media and entertainment industry.

Listen, kid, which generation are you from, “brick to flip” or “Hello Moto”?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

What does "LockOn" have ANYTHING to do with this? You can't hook "LockOn" to a FLYING aircraft like this system does.

See my post above.

Yes, you can link simulators together, across the world, but this is the first time a simulator has been linked to a FLYING aircraft.

Wrong! Check your facts.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

You see Zaphod, in LockOn, you can experience the full effects of flying Su-37's and Su-27's and know how it feels like to be a super-duper Russian pilot

While various Flankers are available SU-37 is not, but MiG-29, A-10 and F-15 are also fully modeled, so if anybody feels like trying on the Warthog or the Eagle to be a “super-duper” American pilot, pick up (or download) a copy and get flying.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
How do you guys think I got my avatar?

Lock On doesn't moddle any systems of the F-15 properly. After all, I did participate in a virtual red flag. It is a great game, but if you want a real SIM, then get something else

169thpanthers.com

BLUE TEAM FOR THE WIN!!!!1

[edit on 8/11/07 by JimmyCarterIsSmarter]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JimmyCarterIsSmarter

t is a great game, but if you want a real SIM, then get something else

Like what?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
No idea.

But if someone wants a fully realistic simulator then Lock On is not it.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Wow great work side stepping my question and throwing an insult. Frankly i don't give a flying... well u get the idea about what you claim to have done on a pro simulator. Your rude self rightous and frankly distroying the respect and helpfulness of the Aviation section on this forum.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I hope to god you understood my joke because if you didn't, I think you're denser than I thought.

Anyways, how exactly is Zaphod wrong about the program in question which allowed a Real F-15 to be linked to a simulator?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimmyCarterIsSmarter
Lock On doesn't moddle any systems of the F-15 properly. After all, I did participate in a virtual red flag. It is a great game, but if you want a real SIM, then get something else

Can I assume you have flown the real thing to compare?

I don't think they had any of the aircraft 100% replicated, and the models (be they flight models, systems or cockpits) are much more realistic than for any other sim (outside Falcon 4 which only covers one aircraft).

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Best sim and Lockon in the same sentence is not at all plausible.

Lockon is too close to arcade to call.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by amanbuthimself]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JimmyCarterIsSmarter

No idea.

But if someone wants a fully realistic simulator then Lock On is not it.

The question was what is currently available on the consumer level, and can be run on consumer level PCs.

As it stands, currently Lock-On is the most detailed combat flight sim in its category, and is readily available for purchase.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What about the software for linking to a real F-15?

Is that readily available? Because I seem to believe that, that's what this thread is about, the linking of multiple simulators to a real F-15.

Shattered OUT...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join