It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police may get more questioning powers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Police may get more questioning powers.

news.bbc.co.uk

MPs are preparing to debate plans to allow police to continue to question terror suspects after charge. But [home secretary] Jacqui Smith told the BBC the government was also looking at whether to bring in such a change "more widely" to deal with non-terror crimes. MPs will also debate whether to extend the current 28-day limit on detention of terror suspects without charge.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Just wondering where the members of ATS stand on this. Personally, I think it's a good thing if those powers are used appropriately, but too often - especially of late - they are not.

I also have to disagree with the extension of the detention period. Here in Australia they can hold anyone for 2 weeks without charge if they are suspected of committing 'terrorist related activities,' and in my free time I do a lot of what could be called 'terrorist related activities' by those who don't know better. It does worry me a bit that I can be thrown in jail for a fortnight and no one has any obligation to so much as speak to me. But it's my choice to take that risk, so I guess I can't complain.

Then again, I don't want to be abused and questioned for 24 hours straight thanks to new police questioning powers.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Its my opinion that changing a society this much to deal with terrorism is going to make peoples lifes a living hell. You will soon become viewed as a terrorist if you so much as disturb the peace in public.

These changes are the worst in US and the UK I think, but I guess even Australia is going to get on the terror fear train...

Then the rest of the world is next. I cant help but hope for that comet to smash into the planet to end all this bullcrap. This is all engineered you know. The threat of any real terrorists is absolutely tiny. Both the London bombings and the 9/11 attack was inside jobs.

Your own governments are doing this to you. Good documentary to learn more about 9/11: 9/11 Coincidences.

[edit on 7-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Copernicus,
I did not see all those videos that you liked to. They seemed pretty one sided. On the topic of government taking away liberties and freedoms I would however suggest you see the videos listed in this thread. It talks about what got the al qaeda terror started, and how politicians are using them. It is pretty good at explaining things.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Thank you, but it sounds like that video have the opinion that the governments had nothing to do with Al Qaeda, and are only using them to form their agenda?

In fact, Al Qaeda was supported by the CIA, Saddam was installed by CIA, bin laden was likely a CIA agent and so on.

I will watch the video though, thanks.

More about CIA and Al Qaeda here for example, or here.

From the second link above:

When people across the US find out that Al Qaeda is not linked to Saddam but is in fact a creation of the CIA and that the terrorist warnings are fabricated, the legitimacy of the Bush Administration will tumble like a deck of cards.

Apparently not. Nothing is being done in the US.

[edit on 7-11-2007 by Copernicus]

new topics

top topics

join