It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There a place for Mod Bias

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I know this is a touchy subject (but then any perceived criticism of mods seems to be
) but I would honestly like to know if members feel there is mod bias.

It's very easy to accuse, but it's also very easy to forget that mods have opinions too, so in discussing this we should keep that in mind.

The question I would like to ask is this:
Do any members feel that a mods personal views have influenced the way they have moderated a thread?

Personally speaking, I feel there have been times when a mods personal view has affected the odd thread - but these are very few in number.

I should also say that I've had applause off mods who are on the other side of the fence, and I've even managed to slightly influence.

Before anyone comes on and condemns anything about the mods, the site or anything else, let me say that this is not a rant, a witch hunt or an attempt to disguise my own shortcomings - which are probably more to blame that any mod shortcomings.

In short, I'd like an open and honest discussion without any recriminations.

Anyone up for that?

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think that on one rare occasion, I may have had an issue with a mod because of his/her bias. There was a small penalty on me, I U2Ud the mod in question, sorted it out, and we ended up OK with each other over it.

I think the mods are human, but I also think they take their job here very seriously.

I do not think there is any kind of rampant disregard of members because of any mod's personal biases.

link   
Got it. Target aquired yet again. OK, I challenge the membership to see if they can even tell what my politics are.

You say:

Before anyone comes on and condemns anything about the mods, the site or anything else, let me say that this is not a rant, a witch hunt or an attempt to disguise my own shortcomings - which are probably more to blame that any mod shortcomings.

In short, I'd like an open and honest discussion without any recriminations.

But the title of this thread is:

Is There a place for Mod Bias?

Seems like you've already established, in your own mind, that there is. Doesn't seem "open and honest" to me. I guess it was time. The staff hasn't been # on yet this week.

link   
Oh no, not again.

Just send a U2U to the mod you feel is biased towards you and carry it out with him personally rather than dragging it into public. Thats my take on it.

Its quite obvious (from this post and former posts) that you feel disadvantaged by some specific mod. And quite natural that you would like to clear it up.

But these types of threads lead to a bunch of Mod-bashing, something I think is somehow uncalled for on a website that appreciates diversity of opinion.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

What I'd like to lead up to, is the fact that there IS a place for it when mods aren't modding.

That's all.

Geez, and you said before that I was paranoid

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yeah, you get a little edgy when you deal with threads like this on a daily/weekly basis for zero pay and the only reason you do it is for the community and then those that you do it for crap on your plate. It can make one a little testy.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I U2Ud the mod in question, sorted it out, and we ended up OK with each other over it.

This is sound advice and to be honest few ever bother. I do realize that there is far less drama potential in this approach but it is usally far more satisfing to both parties to approach it this way.

Also you can file a compliant as well, and that allows the whole staff to look at the issue. You may not get the result you want as with many things in life, but it will be looked at by every level of the staff.

There is this tendancy to always want to pit the staff versus the members in these types of threads, but unlike most work places we are also members too.

[edit on 11/6/07 by FredT]

link   
Pandorah's Box is opened again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were due for some drama.

But seriously, i dont feel like i've been targeted by a mod because of my views.
But there was that time 3 weeks ago...

Oh never mind, i deserved it.

link   
I don't have a problem with the mods thus far but come on.... you know yall do it for a little bit of power.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellawayten
I don't have a problem with the mods thus far but come on.... you know yall do it for a little bit of power.

What power? All this is is but pixels on a screen.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Not that I noticed or anything

However, this is an honest question, with no agenda, to show that mods have all sorts of opinions but generally keep them out of the forums, except when they post as a member.

One of the problems is that of perception.

Sometimes when a member is in a discussion, and a mod pops up giving a point of view, said member neglects to look at whether the mod is modding the forum where the discussion is taking place.

This MAY lead to the misconception that the mod has a bias - when in fact he/she is just posting as an ordinary member would.

That said, would it also be fair to say that a mod should not post opinions in a forum they are modding?

There could be a conflict of interest after all. (and note I said COULD - nothing definitive or accusing
)

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Give yourself credit, Intrepid!

You are the power behind the pixels on the screen! YOU THE MAN

You Rock!!!

Yes, i'm insane.

*Now if i could just get out of this white jacket tied in the back...*

link   
reply to post by intrepid

Ya know its gotta give ya little charge to put that tiny warn label by someones name. and you get to read the hidden forums that are for staff only. i know... i used to be a mod on a board.

link   
I've seen mods go out of their way to state that the post they are about to make is their opinion as a member and not as a member of staff. This usually happens on threads where there might be some exception taken to their post.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

How much power do you think we really have? All power has its limits and as moderators we answer to the SUpers, Admin, and even the owners. If I make a bad call I hear about it.

If you listened to the last ATS mix were myself and several mods were interviews (as well as the pevious Mod Interviews) the biggest reason most of stay is for the comraderie shared amongs the staff. Being able to Applaud someone who makes a stellar post (Even if I do not agree with what he / she is saying) is another great reason as to why I do it. A Super Moderator checked the logs a week or so ago and the applause to warns (That included the minor ones like quotes etc) was 61 to like 7.

Being able to applaud great posts IS our greatest power IMHO

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
blablablablabla....spit it out already: Which mod is it? What was the problem? This is not the first thread you are HINTING at something but not saying what it is.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

i think that maybe a mod shouldn't be able to START a post in the forum they are modding. i'm not stuck on this... just a thought. i may think it thru and decide to change my mind about it.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I think one thing that everyone should keep in mind is that every single one of us (the mods) was an active member of ATS before being chosen by the amigos to become a mod.

The people who get chosen to be mods are active members who display certain characteristics that make them stand out as candidates to be staff. What that means is that we are members first, staff later.

Now, as you can agree, ATS members are generally a rather opinionated group. That's what makes us ATS members. We believe in something, whether it's disclosure, honesty, openness, or a whole host of other things. We as a community are a strong minded group.

When someone becomes a moderator they do not stop being a member. They also do not stop being human. None of us are perfect.

Sometimes things happen, people get heated, emotions run high etc. It's ok. A u2u can help. If you think a mod has been unfair to you try sending him/her a u2u. There's nothing to lose. I've gotten u2u's questioning something I did and usually the results are positive. A good chat can really fix things.

We do the best we can. Really. If you're not happy with something a member of the staff has done you can always message them or another member of staff. I would say 99.999% of the "drama" everyone always talks about can be avoided by a short conversation.

Communication goes a long way.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
skyfloating
I'm not hinting at anything, and any concerns I've had have been cleared up.
To mutual satisfaction I might add.

If it's drama you're looking for, don't look to me

[edit on 6/11/2007 by budski]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Ya know its gotta give ya little charge to put that tiny warn label by someones name. and you get to read the hidden forums that are for staff only. i know... i used to be a mod on a board.

No it does not. Warns for whatever reason usualy end up as drama fodder and threads like this one etc. Quite the opposate, whenever I issue one I have to steel myself for the inevitable nasty u2u, drama threads,being calle dout in threads, inappropriate behavior etc. This occurs for even the most agregious violations of the Terms and conditions.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join