It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is in your head?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Would you say you are a logical person?

I know a lot of people who would define themselves as being "logical" persons. I've always considered myself a logical person... until I read the a book by Mr. Dawkins... He pointed out some moral conflicts many people hold - mainly focusing on abortion and capital punishment. Of course, I took the time and re-examined my personal perspectives and got my world more inline with itself. But I'd like to take a few minutes and ask a few questions.

Do you support abortion?
Do you support capital punishment?

Do you believe in evolution?
Do you believe a handful of men "own" the country and are deliberately guiding us to a slave society (or something just plain bad for the people)? (WARNING: Potential BAD language in the video)

Do you believe that Pascal's Wager is a legitimate argument for the existence of God?
Do you believe in Global Warming?

The link between the first two should be fairly obvious to everyone.

Evolution and the Owners

Personally, I believe in evolution, or some yet undiscovered version of it. I used to also believe what George Carlin said. But when I thought about the two together, one of them stopped making sense. The "owners" theory sounds a lot like the creation story.

When I re-examined this I looked at people as they are today... I've started to believe that this system that exists has EVOLVED (in a manner of speaking) into what it is today.

Pascal and Global Warming

I enjoy this one.

You can read about Pascal's Wager: here.

If Global Warming exists and we decide to deny it exists, we risk ruining the planet for all life. (Very Bad)
If Global Warming doesn't exist and we decide to deny it exists, nothing happens. (No Change)

If Global Warming exists and we decide to try to fix it, we could save all life on the planet. (Very Good)
If Global Warming doesn't exist and we decide to try to fix it, we would still end up living in a healthier world. (Still Good)

So, isn't it logical just to assume that global warming exists?

Of course, the fundamental flaw of this logic is that if you believe in something because of the potential NEGATIVE effects, you could get anyone to believe in anything (example: the boogeyman).

So, back to the question at hand. If your beliefs made sense to you before you read this, but don't after... who is in your head? How is it that we're willing to create a reality that contradicts itself (even if it's indirectly)?

new topics

join