It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo of a Sonic Boom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Ensign John Gay, photo officer for Fighter Squadron Two (VF 2), took this amazing photo of a F/A-18 Hornet
as it broke the sound barrier. The jet was assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron One Five One (VFA-151) and John was standing on the 0-10 level weather deck of the USS Constellation (CV 64). He used a Nikon N-90s, Nikon 70-300 ED zoom lens and Kodacolor 200 negative film. The camera was set for manual exposure of F/5.6 at 1/1000 sec. John caught this masterpiece with a single shot by prefocusing at approximately 200-300 yards off the port side of the ship and then panning left to right as the aircraft flew by. This image has appeared in many publications worldwide.

This photo and info came from anomalies-unlimited.com

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
dont mean to burst your buble but ive and we here at the ats have seen that pic a million times. but its a great one anyways

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
haha sorry I haven't been here too long but did you guys always have the INFO
to go with it

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ever seen this one?

EDU link

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
yea it really does look fake and did you say it has appeared in many publications worldwide?

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
ahhh i see now. no prob welcome to the ats trust me this board can be very addictive. My gf always nags me about it. Oh well if you need any info on anything send me a u2u and ill try to help. Its cool to see younger people getting involved.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
thanks, but I was under the impression it was a real photo due to the amount of details it was presented with on the site where I found it, I do believe it's real

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think its real ...
have you seen this one?

(best I can do sorry)

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
hehe... I saw a documentary about that style of photography... really interesting stuff.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
haha the apple one is great

I don't think I've seen any other kinds of images like that

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It's a real photo. I believe it has to do with water vapor and the speed the aircraft is traveling at (not exactly sure how it works).

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Ever seen this one?

EDU link

the plane depicted above could never break the sound barrier-no prop driven plane could

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I think that was a joke because the Wright Brothers plane could obviously never break the sound barrier

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Thats not a Wrigth Brothers plane

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

haha I ment this one

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
P-38 Lightning, several aircraft (2 or 3) were lost during high speed dive testing. Basically the super structure holding the two fuselages collapased and the aircraft broke apart. As they had no Mach gauges at the time and the added loss of the pilot it was difficult to determine the "break up" speed. After extensive computer modeling in the late 80's it was determined that the last variant I think P-38D was capable of exceeding the sound barrier at 749 (knots ?) but considering it would have had to pull in excess of 8g's to recover from the almost 25 thousand foot dive.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
well I wasn't being serious, I'm sure technically it can be done somehow

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
www.is.northropgrumman.com...

(The B-2 is supposed to be a subsonic plane, not supersonic...)

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
hell yeah the stealth bomber in action

nice find

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join