It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide bombs, the class system, and Halo 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I've just read this article and it made a great deal of sense to me. Let me know if you feel the same way.
www.wired.com...

I can't do those things. I haven't got enough time to practice as they do: I'm an adult, with a job and wife and kid, so I get maybe an hour with Halo on a good day. I wind up sucking far, far more than most other Halo 3 players, and despite the best attempts of Xbox Live to match me up with similarly lame players, I usually wind up at the bottom of my group's rankings -- stumbling haplessly about while getting slaughtered over and over again.

So after a few weeks of this ritual humiliation, I got sick of it. And I devised a simple technique for revenge.

Whenever I find myself under attack by a wildly superior player, I stop trying to duck and avoid their fire. Instead, I turn around and run straight at them. I know that by doing so, I'm only making it easier for them to shoot me -- and thus I'm marching straight into the jaws of death. Indeed, I can usually see my health meter rapidly shrinking to zero.

But at the last second, before I die, I'll whip out a sticky plasma grenade -- and throw it at them. Because I've run up so close, I almost always hit my opponent successfully. I'll die -- but he'll die too, a few seconds later when the grenade goes off. (When you pull off the trick, the game pops up a little dialog box noting that you killed someone "from beyond the grave.")

This article made the concept of suicide bombing a bit more justified to me. Of course I don't approve in any way, or feel that it's a legitimate course of action when it comes to war, but it certainly made me think about it a bit less one sided.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That puts it in a much better perspective, I definately cant argue against the logic of it.

Same as you cant argue against the logic of Japan's kamikazie pilots. They used it as a last resort while staring at a much stronger enemy.

All logic leads to that conclusion, when theirs no other way to effectivly harm your enemy or strike fear into them.

Soldiers feared nothing more than an enemy soldier delibrety dying for his cause and in so doing, trying to kill as many on the your side.

Logic agrees and emotions do not. So which is the overriding element here

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Hahaha! hey the point is to get a kill and NOT die.. Really though I dont see the similarity, in life you may get a "kill from beyond the grave" but you dont respawn 5 seconds later with a new life, no do overs.
You also never get the satisfaction of knowing you got that kill, remember some of these idiots screw up and only blow themselves up, where as in H3 you get that message.. yea, I just dont see it

As Patton put it.. dont die for your country, make the other poor bastard die for his.

[edit on 11/5/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
You're right, there are no do-overs or 5 lives, or respawn in real life, but a strong enough faith in the afterlife is enough to offset that, especially if the afterlife is super awesome, while real life sucks buckets.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well, ill take my chances with what I KNOW and I know where I am right now.. I dont know where I will go, if anywhere at all, when I die..

btw, if anyone that reads this plays halo 3, my gamer tag is "A UF0" the "0" is a Zero not the letter o..

When I laser someone with the spartan laser it says.. "You were lasered by A UF0"

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

i suck on mulitiplayer on Halo 3

but i do get alot of kills by plasma granades and snipers

before getting Run over by 3 people in a car
sticky it

sniper from a good place.

but how the fudge does this game explain sucide bombings?
is this another american thing where people blame games?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

is this another american thing where people blame games?

TRUST ME, we arent all that way.. No offense but I just wish people would please stop generalizing us Americans.. We are as different as English are from the French..
It wouldnt be right for me to say that I hate Europeans, when I may just hate the French

Thats just an example btw

My son kicks my ass on halo 3 multi, hes a commander and a level 41 in team slayer, while im a Sgt, with level 7 in slayer haha..

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
Well, ill take my chances with what I KNOW and I know where I am right now.. I dont know where I will go, if anywhere at all, when I die..

But that's just it. As an American (if not American then someone in a first world country with plenty of electricity and broadband access) your life is fine. Someone who lives in a crappy little shack with no electricity or internet connection's life is pretty crappy in comparison. All they have is their faith, and the idea that after this life there must be something better.

After all, if God was real, why would he make this crappy life all that there is for me in the world (by me I mean the poor kid who's gonna blow himself up.)

First world values vs Third world values.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

my apologies for generalising you guys into one group

these days games seem to be targeted by lawsuits and parents who have their kids go wacko when Films seem to show far worse things, example SAW which is bloody and gory

also on a note
your Son would kick my ass on Halo 3, gears of War it would be the other way round

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

my apologies for generalising you guys into one group

Np, I try not to get to defensive about things like that but after you hear/read it a thousand times, it gets old. Kinda like the "all Americans are FAT" thing, hell I only weigh 145 lbs but I do love my Big Mac

Lol, weve never played Gears of War but his ability to pick up a new game and dominate it within a few hours completely astounds me.
We are still working on completing Halo 3 on legendary difficulty though, it is insanely difficult on that mode.

new topics

top topics

join