It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother taking over in UK

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
If you look at the wider global economic picture, then you can understand why these measures to 'coerce' the career-jobless into work are being considered...

Power to the people, Wolfie! ;-)

England, specifically, does have a problem with "youth culture" in modern times that has not been experienced in recent history (probably since the 19th century). I note that a poster referred to the following:

- Teddy Boys ripping up cinema's.
- Mods and Rockers fighting on the beaches.
- Punk Rockers spitting in the face of society.
- Ravers on Eeezy Street.

The *active* participants to these events were generally restricted to late-teens and early twenties are were centred about pivotal moments in the natural restructuring of society. They were largely the result of creative expression as a result of the political climate within Britain and as influenced, sometimes, by the US during the 1950's, 60's, late 70's and early 80's and the late 80's and 90's respectively (Punk - made in England!!!).

The youth culture we see now is largely a reflection and result of the "globalisation" mania and increasing reduction of UK independence. The tribal effect it produces in our youth, unfortunately, is not particularly creative. Whereas, "lawlessness" seen in previous episodes was largely restricted, even in instances of mob behaviour (i.e. Brighton "riots"), the disregard for society we see now is not about "changing culture", it is about abandoning it.

Globalisation has a large part to play in producing a negative effect on humanity, especially where manufacturing is concerned, since it relies on the financial and social disparity in order to succeed - it relies on the "cheap labour" initiative. The drive to "make money" in the form of runaway capitalism is causing base problems in society at all levels, not only our youth, which the Government does not have the imagination to deal with.

The "big stick" approach is simply an example of an administration "out of ideas". As a populace, we are diverted from the bigger picture by specific examples of failure that project blame onto specific cultural groups, be it "youth", "religious fundamentalists" or "the middle classes", however, the bigger issue is the one of failed Government.

Parliamentary democracy works, but only when the Government in power knows what it is doing, has some resonance with society. In this, the UK is failing at the moment. Our social issues are symptoms of a fractured society, not the cause!

Vote for Arthur - the Once and Future King!

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Refuse to work where ? Is the government providing jobs ? Or what ?
This does indeed sound like a dictatorship if it is real

Before 1990 in Romania those who had no work were taken by the police and given a job somewhere.
Everything was owned by the state, many things were done for nothing, just so people could have jobs (example : a factory would produce some stuff no matter if someone would need it or buy it), no wonder the system failed

[edit on 6-11-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei
Everything was owned by the state, many things were done for nothing, just so people could have jobs (example : a factory would produce some stuff no matter if someone would need it or buy it), no wonder the system failed

That isn't such a crazy idea, it has been pondered at other times and in other countries that it is cheaper to employ the unemployed in digging holes and filling them in again that to just "give" them a state benefit.

That is a somewhat stark example as it creates no work ethos or extra skill in the workforce although at a simple level it does fulfill the primary and wider purpose of creating trade for the supporting industries (i.e. materials, transport, managers, etc).

When applied in a more constructive way this can be beneficial as it can offset the costs of the "benefit" against any turnover. When left to run wild it does can create problems, but when implemented well such a system is highly beneficial in that it can provide a worthwhile service or industry, give a work ethos to people that can be used in the wider employment market place and offset benefit costs.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
What's needed is to offer a hand-up, not a hand-out
[edit on 5-11-2007 by citizen smith]

They don't want a hand up, they wouldn't take a career path if offered on a silver plate, they still have child like attitudes.
Do you want 10 sweets now or 100 sweets tomorrow, 99% of the time they will take the 10 now.
They don't care about their future, jobs or anything, I know because I've been there, If I knew then what I know now 10+years on I would now probably have a decent paid career.
I cant deny your first comment that it is due to conditioning "your worthless" type comments from teachers and parents as I got all that and left school without a GCSE to scratch my arse with.
I've been homeless, sponged thousands from the dole and sadly due to GENUINE medical problems I have been stuck on incapacity benefits for years.
The difference between them and certain people I know is that I attempted to do something with my life whilst I did have the chance and I've never been a lager lout, robbed houses or mugged anyone.

I can guarantee I had opportunity, I had people helping that I took for granted, I chose to ignore warnings and do things my way (the one where I got to lay in bed and play computer games all day).
So why am I against it now?
For one I was never a nuisance to innocent people (except tax payers wallets) and with a fire under me I may have avoided a downwards spiral and achieved something in life.

We can't pretend that these kids just need an opportunity because the truth is they see it as 'I just finished school, now I want a break for a year or five'.
and will turn down all opportunities and sneer at those trying to help.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
LABOR camps people you are defending labor camps. All production is in china so what kind of jobs will they be given and do they get paid well for the jobs or minimum?

This is to stop people getting PAID UNDER THE TABLE because if they get paid that way it won't count as official work because its not taxed so they make you work one of their jobs SO THEY CAN TAX YOU.

They will be doing landscaping for the elites various land holdings and security guard jobs.

I used to live in Exeter and i am so glad i left because I'll be dammed if I'm going to let the government put my child to work for them. My kid won't be lazy he may work for me who knows and maybe i want to pay him how i want to and not have Gordon Brown give him a job packing meat.

Whats the point welcome slavery. Save your outrage for a bad trade in footy.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
If they are working, they are doing something useful instead of getting into trouble.
This is a good thing.
Rounding up homeless people is also a good thing. It gives them a place to live and some work to do.
Did you ever think that there would be no need for "Big Brother" if the people were all self-responsible and respectful of others and their property?

As to education - I believe that most people could easily finish the 12 years in 10, and That a large number could do it in 8. There will always be those who are slow at this sort of thing and should be directed otherwise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join