It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox, Opera or IE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I used firefox for the longest time and i was happy with it. I never had any problems or security issues or anything. Then i got a new computer.. with vista(:shk
and i quickly learned that firefox isn't compatible with vista.. it works.. just not flawlessly

so today i downloaded opera.. and i must say it's not bad at all

what do you guys prefer? firefox, opera or IE?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think It's just that. It has to do with they way your computer is set up. With the way mine is set up. I.E. works the best. For some reason Firefox takes too long to load up. Seriously, it takes like 20 seconds to load the browser up. I use Firefox when a site doesn't like I.E. and gives me problems, then I'm willing to wait for Firefox to load up.

I haven't tried Opera, but the people that use it to visit my blog say it works great on many computer setups!

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
opera has a real clean look to it.. cleaner than firefox IMO

theres also a few features that firefox doesn't have.. like a channels screen or whatever, its a pretty nice feature

theres no spell check though.. that came in handy.. i bet i can download it or something though

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Firefox.

I'll wait for the load-up and then it's solid and stable all day. A host of plugins gives me a ton of tools to use.

Let see: gmail notifier, adsense plugin, foxytunes, scribefire, greasemonkey, alexa, adblock, flash block, video downloader, web dev tool bar, and more, more, more.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I use Opera, Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox, all on the same machine with Vista, and I don't have any problems.

Opera is my favourite, it is faster than Firefox and has many good things without any plug-ins, although the spell-checker must be installed as separate product (Aspell for Win32, if you are using Vista).

My favourite options are: mouse-gestures, the zoom feature, the notes (very handy), the possibility of selecting some text on a web page and right-click to jump to a search, dictionary or use it as a URL, the easy way of creating new search possibilities, and, last but not least, the possibility of having back all the open pages that I had when I last used it, along with the history for each page, making the back and forward buttons work in the same way as if I had just stop working with that page.

I use Internet Explorer mainly for sites that Opera does not render correctly (and that is the worst part of Opera, it fails on some things).

I use Firefox when I must do some Web development and when there are sites where IE does not work as it should, usually because of Javascript.

[edit on 5/11/2007 by ArMaP]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It depends on which machine I'm using. The Intel runs IE, because Intel sucks, so somehow only IE runs as stable on it. If it's the AMD, I run Firefox, because I can. On my cell phone I use Opera Mini, because it's cheaper to surf with it.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I have all of them.

Favorite? Firefox. By far.

IE is dull and crap.

Opera doesn't have the features I like that I discovered with Firefox. You can customize Opera, which is a bonus over IE, but Firefox is just more 'complete', IMO.

Firefox takes a few extra seconds to open. It could be my bad computer, or it could be Firefox. Even if it is Firefox, I'm not in any hurry. I can wait.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
never tried opera. i have firefox on all my systems including my mac. safari is lacking in a few areas as well. i also run it on vista with zero problems. i try not to support IE because from a web developer standpoint IE is horrible. it's bad when you have to write exceptions to a standard to accommodate IE.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's simply impossible for me not to use firefox extensions.

Firefox 3 is coming soon, and the memory problem mostly has been taken care of. Mozilla also plan Firefox 3 to be more integrated with Vista.
QA/Firefox3/T estPlan/Vista Integration

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Opera all the way. Whenever I open Opera, all my tabs from last time open back up, and I can pick off where I started.

It's like automatically loading up your favourite bookmarks when you go on. ATS, BTS, Youtube, Email, various forums I'm on all load up as soon as I double click the red O

The only thing that sucks with Opera is that not many websites are designed for it. So, I use Firefox and IE7 if something doesn't work on Opera.

Edit- Forgot to add, I tried the new beta version of Opera, it is way more faster in loading webpages than the latest stable release.

[edit on 12/10/2007 by Hyzera]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I like firefox personally.

Ages ago I found some instructions for a quick modification so that I now appear as a google bot to internet sites (can't remember exactly what I did but it was very simple) Then to be honest I forgot about it, now when ever I have to go back to IE (a very small number of sites don't appreciate google bots crawling their sites) I really notice a different surfing experience - there are more ad's, some sites make you jump through hoops to get where you want to go etc.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I use Firefox and IE7 and they both have good features. I like Firefox for checking any accounts I have, but I like IE because I can save over my links, where Firefox just adds 'em to the bottom of the page. The spellcheck on Firefox is ok... but it's pretty crappy, I'm hoping for a better version soon.
(For instance, it doesn't realize that ok is ok.)

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This is an interesting article

The Mozilla Foundation acknowledged over the weekend that its own Firefox browser allows links that can send malicious code to external programs, a security issue that the group had previously argued should be fixed by the browser maker.

Didn't think it really warranted a new thread so posted in this one.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I don’t know about your machine, but I use IE and Firebox on my vista premium-they both work just fine for me.

Like everything, they are slower than in Vista...but..........

I must also say that adding Vista SP1 really help speed up many tings, among them web browsing.

[edit on 12/19/2007 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I have all the major browsers that you listed including Netscape, that's so I can test some web sites I designed. Other than that reason, lately I really prefer Firefox. IE is for easy loading and Opera is said to be the best, but I like Firefox's Add-ons/features more.

new topics

top topics

join