It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Passes Depleted Uranium Resolution in Landslide Vote

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

UN Passes DU Resolution in Landslide Vote

www.bandepleteduranium.org

The resolution entitled 'Effects of the use of armaments and ammunitions containing depleted uranium' was passed by 122 votes to six at the UN First Committee in New York; with 35 abstentions. The resolution urges UN member states to re-examine the health hazards posed by the use of uranium weapons.

The resolution was drafted by the Movement of Non Aligned States and submitted by Indonesia. It requests that states and international bodies submit a report on DU to the UN General Assembly....
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This was also from the article, typical, these countries are the 'secret' human rights abusers.

"Against vote: 6 countries (US, UK, France, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Israel)"

www.bandepleteduranium.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Would you prefer our bullets bounce off our enemies?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Germany have shown the fero tungsten carbide penertrator has within1% similar penetration power as the current DU round as used by the US army when fired from the L55 gun.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Damn, I'm ashamed my government voted against it (the Netherlands)
Now I really dislike them..

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

This is great news! DU is probably the most dangerous element in current and common warfare. Just the presence of depleted uranium thus far is staggering. This is the best thing I've heard in a real long time.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
yeah cause everyone knows that bullets without uranium just bounce off
. ur not serious right?!?!

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
How many of the states that voted against this have the ability to use DU armaments? How many that voted to reexamine them are able to use them?

Is this issue divided between the technological "haves" and "have-nots"?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by justanothergangster

He's talking in regards to armor and buildings. Depleted uranium can cut through a variety of things like butter, as where regular bullets wouldn't penetrate.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

im aware of that but we have like...rockets and grenades and tanks and a 30 mike mike (30 mm cannon) can get the job done too. without making your hair fall out

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by justanothergangster

I think DP is a more "strategic" or "tactical" weapon because it's common, can be used anywhere, it's disgustingly affective, you don't have to destroy anything to take out a mark, and there's so god # much of it, you know?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Dr. Helen Caldicott's book, "The New Nuclear Danger" is a very informative bk on said topic. She was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize a couple of years ago.

DU was used for the first time in history by the US military in the Persian Gulf War against Iraq in 1991. It constitutes the first introduction of a nuclear weapon into the “conventional battlefield,” and is a technical breach of all the non-proliferation treaties that the US has signed.

DU is also soluble in water after it has been aerosolized, and the water supplies around battlefields, as in Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, are at risk of radioactive pollution. DU has a radioactive half-life of 4.5 billion years, and it can concentrate in the food chain thousands of times at each step.

The President of the Gulf War Veterans Assoc estimates that 50,000 to 80,000 veterans are afflicted with Gulf War Syndrome. 39,000 have been dismissed from active duty. 2,500 to 5,000 have died. Dr Caldicott writes: “The symptoms of Gulf War syndrome are difficult to collate within a specific disease entity. Nevertheless, the complaints of the veterans are surprisingly similar in pattern to the various pathologies induced by uranium exposure as described by the US military.

www.peacehost.net...

This is a sickening display of American Imperialism once again, nukes used in guns, missiles, etc -- and to most people in the US, they'll never know.

Enjoying that football game while you're killing every other race on Earth Americans? I got the right, I'm one and it's disgusting to pay taxes w/ these Nazis in charge, disgusting.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/11/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
Germany have shown the fero tungsten carbide penertrator has within1% similar penetration power as the current DU round as used by the US army when fired from the L55 gun.

Yeah, but then how would we get rid of our (spent nuclear) waste ? This way we kill two (or three) birds with one stone :- Cheap raw material for ammo, solving waste problem , and making somewhere most westerners would not want to go, toxic to all life!

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Yeah, all about us, huh?

*SNIP*

There's more to life, man... Seriously.

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/11/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

Think of the cost in trees of writing "fero tungsten carbide penetrator" every time you put it down on paper, compared to just saying DU!

Ok seriously then, what stops us from using that type of ammunition over DU?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

would you prefer insane weapons escalation extrapolates itself into 'ANYONE can press a button which triggers a weapon that will wipe out EVERYONE ELSE'?

who are "your" enemies?

mine are the people who take my personal power and subjugate it to their personal agendas with bureaucracy, politics and red tape. mine REAL enemies are not tiny thugs with fertilizer bombs. my REAL enemies(and yours, whether you know it or not) are the creators and abusers of absolute power.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ah that's right, I forgot that everyone in the government and the entire U.S. military is the bad guy. The freaks who burn our flags in the street and chant "Death to America" are on our side.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Ah that's right, I forgot that everyone in the government and the entire U.S. military is the bad guy. The freaks who burn our flags in the street and chant "Death to America" are on our side.

it seems you have a short attention span, and like to change channels if you don't see a car chase or explosion within the first thirty seconds of viewing.

sorry. just my first impression.

america died in 1913 at the hands of jekyll island denizens.

you generalize with "everyone" and "entire". it is only a few gatekeepers/higher-ups that need pull the strings of the giant puppet to make the puppet dance.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Du does have sig. advantages over even tungsten as noted below.

It is also used as a layer of armour in the M1A2 Abrams MBT

DU can be used to engage the enemy at greater distances than tungsten penetrators or high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) rounds because of improved ballistic properties. When they strike a target, tungsten penetrators blunt while DU has a self-sharpening property. DU ammunition routinely provides a 25 percent increase in effective range over traditional kinetic energy rounds.

On impact with a hard target (such as a tank) the penetrator may generate a cloud of DU dust within the struck vehicle that ignites spontaneously creating a fire that increases the damage to the target. Due to the pyrophoric nature of DU, many of the DU particles and fragments that are formed during and following impact and perforation will spontaneously ignite, resulting in a shift of the particle size probability distribution function to a smaller mean diameter. As a result of physical differences between DU and its oxides, the oxide particles tend to crumble under relatively weak mechanical forces, further shifting the particle size to an even smaller mean diameter.
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Anyone defending DU should add me to their foes list. Supporting something you don't see the devastating and irreprarable effects of in real time, makes you a coward by proxy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join