It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Horrible Truth About religion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceman16

most religious people would disagree with slavery (i would hope), however the bibles authors don't seem to have a problem with it. from todays standards it would be considered morally wrong from religions followers?

Colossians 3:22

Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord.

Exodus 21:7-11

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.

my question is.
if morality (knowing what is good/bad) comes from the bible, why don't mainstream bible followers support slavery? what actually influences their decision that slavery is bad, when the bible itself doesn't seem to have any problem with it.

i'm not rephrasing it again, a five year old would of understood my first attempt.

[edit on 7/11/07 by cheeser]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser

most religious people would disagree with slavery (i would hope), however the bibles authors don't seem to have a problem with it. from todays standards it would be considered morally wrong from religions followers?

Are you serious? You're seriously trying to present slavery in the old testement of the bible, to modern day believers?

press-pubs.uchicago.edu...

Aka the fugitive slave act. The United States Govenment made it legal for slave owners to seize their run away slaves, and thus promoting and allowing slavery.

Are all citizins of the united states, morally wrong for being alledged to a country that once supported slavery?

No.

Are all believers of the bible morally wrong for beliving in text written a thousand years ago, when slavery was allowed and commonly practiced by everyone, no matter who you be.

No.

Modern day believers do not support slavery.. why, you ask. You ask, if they truely believe why do they not support slavery.

All i can say is that, slavery was accepted at the time of the writing. People are "programed" to believe slavery is wrong. So the people of the day believe it is wrong.

And i honestly think this is a very weak example, that even you do not have heart in.

[edit on 7-11-2007 by spaceman16]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   

The bible does promote morality

thats all i wanted.
morality isn't derived from the bible.

thank you.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser

thats all i wanted.
morality isn't derived from the bible.

thank you.

Your point? You've taken this wrong..again.

The bible DOES PROMOTE morality. Cold and blank. Whether you like it or not it does.

Whether you follow its promotions or not, is up to you. I never said morality comes from one place and one place only.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join