It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police retain DNA of 'petty crime suspects'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Police retain DNA of 'petty crime suspects'

www.prisonplanet.com

The 210-page list of crimes, drawn up by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO), includes such minor offences as "opening an incorrectly delivered packet", an offence under the 2000 Postal Services Act; "wantonly disturbing any inhabitant by any ringing doorbell", an offence under the 1847 Town Police Clauses Act, and picking wild flowers for sale, an offence under the 1968 Theft Act.

Anyone arrested for any of the crimes will have his or her DNA taken and stored.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I dont know how you feel about this, but personally I think its invasion of privacy to have your DNA stored in a database. Who knows who will get access to that database in the future? You could be denied a job in the future for "unknown reasons" but in reality, its because your DNA shows you may have a risk of getting sick or whatever.

As DNA research continues, there really is no limit to what they may find out about you covertly - and not tell you. Stuff like this will without doubt lead to a society where your DNA is what is important, and the ones having less perfect DNA will be seen as second class citizens.

Please note that even if you get wrongfully arrested, you still end up in the database, meaning that they basically can get the DNA on whoever they want.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Im a bit surprised this did not get more attention. Maybe you guys dont see the risks with this in the same way I do?

Also related: UK Police to take DNA samples of suspects on the street

[edit on 5-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Ringing a doorbell?

So ding dong ditch will call the CSI team?

Whos paying to do this?

there will be a day when they DNA sample your pee for public urination LOL!

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I had my DeoxyriboNucleic Acid taken by a swob about six or so years ago for committing an act of vandalism (i spray painted my name on a bus stop) whilst drunk, not proud of it either! Was thrown to the ground with force unnecessarily, treated like scum (i was wearing my business suit at the time lol), got locked up for the night, questioned the next day and then sent home in plimsolls.

Upshot was, they (the police) tried pinning other crimes on me which i did not commit. I was never found guilty of the other crimes but because the police took so long in trying to provide evidence for things I did not do i ended up paying £3,500+ in court fees (the bus company did NOT press charges) and i walked away with a criminal record for five years. I pleaded guilty to spray painting in the police station and on the first day of court, wasnt happy about having to pay all that money either (as im sure you can imagine). Never had done anything like that before, drunken mistake, better than fighting people whilst drunk which i see all the time in London.

new topics

top topics

join