It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death to America: Iran marks U.S. embassy seizure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Death to America: Iran marks U.S. embassy seizure

www.reuters.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Thousands of Iranians chanted "Death to America" and vowed not to yield to U.S. pressure over Iran's nuclear program at a demonstration on Sunday marking the 28th anniversary of the seizure of the American embassy.

Students burned the Stars and Stripes outside the leafy compound in downtown Tehran that once housed the U.S. mission stormed by radical students on November 4, 1979, almost 10 months after the U.S.-backed shah left into exile.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Things look to be really heating up in that part of the world now (not that they've been particularly cool at any point in recent times). I have to say, my gut feeling is that, unfortunately, war with Iran - certainly at this juncture - seems like an inevitability. The consequences should this happen, however, will be most devastating.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-11-2007 by Brad.T]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Students burned the Stars and Stripes outside the leafy compound in downtown Tehran that once housed the U.S. mission stormed by radical students on November 4, 1979, almost 10 months after the U.S.-backed shah left into exile.

I'd pay no attention to it, the students are ALWAYS out burning and throwing stones at anything Western.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Yes, while the students do seem to be perpetually protesting against anything remotely Western, it's things like this that start to worry me somewhat:

Iranian Military Parade

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
They should be someone to pay attention to. Deals w/ Russia, China, C America(s) for oil/gas as well as infrastructure plans for Mavlev trains, a growing population and economy, NOT Arabic, Farsi, Iran is a rising nation.

These quotes were the most telling: "We came here to show America that it cannot do a damn thing and the Iranian nation will destroy them if they invade our country," said Mostafa Jafarizadeh, 16." And, "We will not compromise with America even for a moment", quoting Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's supreme leader.

Seems like a lot of people were there.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Smells like a 'mediated event to me. Got to keep the anti-Iran rhetoric up. I guess it's about perspective. There are students in your own country protesting against your government. They may not be calling for the Death of of Satan but they are asking for the same thing really.

No to war-mongering.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
To put it in a little perspective...

Iran Air Flight 655 (IR655) was a commercial flight operated by Iran Air that flew from Bandar Abbas, Iran to Dubai, UAE. On Sunday July 3, 1988, towards the end of the Iran Iraq War, the aircraft flying IR655 was shot down by the U.S. Navy guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes between Bandar Abbas and Dubai, killing all 290 passengers and crew aboard, including 38 non-Iranians and 66 children. The Vincennes was inside Iranian territorial waters at the time.

Wikipedia source

And a little further back in history...

-Britain, fearful of Iran's plans to nationalize its oil industry, came up with the idea for the coup in 1952 and pressed the United States to mount a joint operation to remove the prime minister.
-The C.I.A. and S.I.S., the British intelligence service, handpicked Gen. Fazlollah Zahedi to succeed Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh and covertly funneled $5 million to General Zahedi's regime two days after the coup prevailed.
-Iranians working for the C.I.A. and posing as Communists harassed religious leaders and staged the bombing of one cleric's home in a campaign to turn the country's Islamic religious community against Mossadegh's government.

NYTimes source

Gee, that last one almost sounds like sponsoring terrorist activity doesnt it?
Bombing peoples homes?

apc

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So they frequently buy American flags just to burn them?

Normally I'd say thanks for the business, but the flags were probably made in China.

new topics

top topics

join