It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Particular Conspiracy Theory Got You HOOKED??? And Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I know this may not be in the right forum, however, since this IS "General" conspiracy discussion, it seems like the best place for it to me.

So, what particular conspiracy theory was the first to grab your imagination and reel you into the world of whack jobs and tin hatters? What was it about that particular CT that grabbed hold of you and just would not let go?

For me, it was the Kennedy Assassination. Ever since I first saw a Kennedy assassination special on NBC when I was 7, I have been hooked. On that particular special, I remember them talking about the possibility of Fidel Castro being in the crowd at Dealey Plaza that day. A short time after that, I started reading Mark Lane's "Rush to Judgement" and I haven't really stopped reading since.

While I am still no expert on all aspects of the Kennedy Assassination (I believe that would take at least 30 years), I do have a very passable knowledge of it and still enjoy discussing it anytime the chance arises. I must admit that I was ecstatic upon hearing that Jim Marrs was joining the ATS family and I still look forward to a day when he throws down a truly great Kennedy related thread.

I did notice, during my Kennedy research years, that the Kennedy conspiracy has branches that lead to most other conspiracy theories that have been put forth since 11/22/63 and this too fascinates me. Though I personally don't feel Kennedy was a "great" president, it does seem that the country has taken a turn for the worse since that guy in the sewer put a bullet through his head.

So, what CT did it for you?

Jasn

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Being Canadian, I have a slightly different tale. Although JFK played a part, as I'm sure it did for many, for me it was two things.

First was coming across the story of the Avro Arrow in some of my dad's books and the mysteries surrounding it's cancellation.

The next was learning about the FLQ from some of my dads books and living off and on in Montreal during the mid '80's.

And then there was the Iran-Contra scandal. I followed that closely as my mom had been involved with a couple of election campaigns for our local Liberal MP and politics was becoming an interest to me. It also opened my eyes to the corruption possible by Government's and how far they'll go to hide it.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Actually it was when i started researching psychic investigations done by the KGB that i started getting heavily into conspiracy theories, i used to entertain the theory about how the president of america was being mind controlled by someone he didn't even know, on the other side of the world (or vice-versa).

That was back when i was off-my-rocker and filled with narcotics though, so it's pretty self-explanatory.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Throbber

Haha, I understand completely. While I have never done narcotics (nor even trie them), I did go through a longer than I would have liked alcoholic period. During that time, I had some whopper conspiracy theories of my own. In fact, I do believe the reptilian craze has narcotics and alcohol to thank for it's almost viral spreading.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Wow! Two conspiracy theories I have never heard of. Thanks, now I must run and look into them to at least have SOME knowledge of them hahaha. Any recommended links?

Jasn

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
When i was young i always looked up at the stars and felt more at home looking at them then here.
Alien abductions because it always made me wonder why no one wanted to face that there are other races out there apart from humanity.
Alien conspiracy theories.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I'll dig up a couple for you in a bit Jasn. I have some stuff to do in the real world first then I'll post a few.

Google some of the info on wiki for both stories, I just used it as fast link. You''l get some good stuff on both. I'll add some later for you to look at.

Good post by the way

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well, my mom was/is a conspiracy theorist of sorts. She was only really fascinated by the "democrat" side and politics, however unfortunate that I feel that is. I personally feel it's all aspects of our political system, but alas that is for another thread.

The first conspiracy-ish things I remember searching on my own on the internet were after a very dear late friend of mine was talking about these "giant people" found near the Grand Canyon. The same day, another woman was talking to me about how all these elites go to a spot in California and frolic around doing all these weird rituals.
Go figure, these days I would be able to name either one of those off the top of my head with little thought.

A site that kept hitting me in my searches was what now is the archive of ATS. Secret government projects, John Titor, Rex, concentration camps in the US... it went on and on. After a while, I frequented this site and also IDenied (which I was a member of longer.) Especially after Katrina, before I came back to New Orleans, I had a very large amount of spare time on my hands, and a bookstore next to my hotel. Between researching online, and reading books that now constitute a great personal conspiracy library, I came to be familiar with aspects of our life that should never have existed in the first place.

My own distrust of many "organizations" happened much earlier, as an activist on my own accord at a younger age, going to national meetings with high ups/presidents of certain interest groups. I saw the game that was played, and the need to continue their cause, even if it was the sacrifice of the ends. Unfortunately, some of my ends coincide, and I shy away from debating them in public, only because it adds to further conspiracies that would affect myself. :shk:

And now I am here, trying to find a balance like everyone else.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
For me it was the incidents of both my parents dying from oddball illnesses after being exposed to knowledges they were privvy to. My brother died too of suspicious circumstances involving the government. My other brother had issues with the CIA chasing him.

Sounds deliciously intriguing, eh? Not each of them alone, but together they sound conspiratorial. Each incident is indeed filled with oddities. I grew up with this.
Add to that when I was running a gas station and I had one really great guy who came in for coffee every now and then. He always talked about all sorts of conspiracies. He made some great points everytime I talked to him. It wasn't until he showed me self-taken photographs of UN Railroad passenger cars all decked out in white with blue lettering, in a railyard in N. Dakota that I really started listening. I know he has GOT to be in here too.
(Hey Greg, from Libertyville, IL- send me a U2U!!!)

So that's kinda what dragged me to the CT realm.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The Great Depression.

Snowball effect after that, really. My favorite conspiracy is definitely 9/11 after Copernicus showed me part 12 of "Coincidences," where George Bush says "He.. We made sure that the explosives were high enough..." My jaw dropped, subsequently knocking me off the fence I was sitting on for so long.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The Philly Experiment, JFK (for a while), Illuminati is a big one for me and now 9-11 is moving up the ranks.

My all time favorite one though is probable the Templars and their "story".

[edit on 3-11-2007 by -Reason-]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Ah, then you must run and check out my "5 reasons the 9/11 truth movement will ultimately fail" thread.

9/11 was what got me BACK INTO conspiracy theories. I was a diehard devotee to revealing the truth until certain things caused me to abandon it.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by -Reason-

The Philidelphia Experiment is definitely an interesting one. I can't say that I fully believe Al Bielik, but he certainly tells his story with enough passion to have truly experienced it. The experiment, as a whole, also sounds like something the Navy (government) would have gotten up to during that time period.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hmm.

I have never really thought about what or when, before. But now that I sat here for a few minutes...

I think very early on, when I first learned what a "lie" was and first experienced being lied to. From there on out...I always questioned everything. I always thought, "What if they are just lying to me". It caused me to develop a very strong gut instinct and the desire to find out the truth...and has allowed me to have an open mind - yet keep realistic at the same time.

I also have experienced things in my life that made me just go "Hmmm"

For example (will try and make the long story short):

An old long time boyfriend of mine had a twin. I was very close to both of them. The twin was a Marine (sniper) and stationed in Japan. One night my boyfriend got an emergency call that his twin had been shot in the head, while stationed in Japan.

When the twin finally got back to the states and was medically discharged, he told us that he was shot by his own because he knew something. What? I dont know. He never divulged it to us.

One night while we were sitting at a bar (the 3 of us) a guy walks up and sits next to us. He starts talking to the twin and amazingly, he was a former marine and seemed to know a lot of the same people/missions, etc.
They exchanged numbers and were going to hang out again. But the twin was perplexed about it all. I didnt understand why.

Days later, I went with the twin to pick up this guy from the bar at his house. He was waiting outside. This happened a few times. We always went to pick him up and he was always waiting outside. (his car was in the shop, supposevely)

So, one Fri we were all going to meet up at this bar. The twin and I sat for about an hour and the "friend" never showed up. The twin calls him. Phone disconnected. The twin says "something is really wrong". We need to go to his house now. We go to his house, knock on the door. An old lady answers and tells us - she lives there alone.

The "friend" didnt live there. He just said he did and we always just picked him up there.
The twin begins freaking out - literally and said that he is afraid something is going to happen to him. But he wouldnt go into details because he wanted to protect me and his brother. At this point, I started getting scared....and I had no idea why. But his fear was making me afraid.

2 weeks later....while I was at home getting ready for work. The morning news had an alert because a security guard had just been shot at xx Condos and is in critical condition. Suspects unknown, but witnesses said an unmarked car with dark windows.

It was the Twin (they actually said his name on air). He had been shot inches from his heart. The shooters never found. The twin said that they were trying to kill him again. Whoever "they" was. He believed the government. He said the "friend" was ALWAYS asking him about missions he had been on, etc. And he found it very odd and very suspicious.

I was so freaked out...that I distanced myself rather quickly........its been many many years since I have seen or talked to him.

I witnessed some very odd things surrounding all of this. However, I dont know what was truth, reality or strong persuasions based on his fear. I have no idea. I have no idea what was really going on....but something was. I was witness to this guy who magically appeared.....then disappeared....I witnessed my very close friend be nearly shot to death 2 times.

It all left me wondering....and adding to my suspicions of "conspiracy theories".

Every once in a while I do a search to make sure he is still alive.

Sorry this is so long
....Ive never written it out..just told it

[edit on 3-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I believe you.

100%

My brother that was killed? He was killed it a "training accident" in Camp Pendleton, Ca. in 1982. He wasn't shot, or abducted or any "normal" training accident. No. He was the Tank Commander for the first series of M1 Tanks. Due to a electronic guidance problem, the Abrams he was riding in, slid down a sandy embankment and flipped over, killing him and the gunner of the tank. Yes, you heard me. My brother flipped a tank.

I saw the "body" they sent home. It might of been my brother. Funny thing is, a few weeks after my very close brother died, I had a very realistic, lucid dream where my dead brother came to the window of my bedroom and woke me up to tell me he wasn't, in fact, dead, but doing things for the government and he would never be back. He said goodbye and left. It felt like a dream. I haven't seen him since, nor dreamed anything else about him.
Is he really dead? I don't know. But the event took place when I was 13 years old. Long before I started my CT pursuit.

Weird, huh?
Cuhail

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Very interesting story!
I tend to be a huge skeptic when I read things...I admit it LOL
But your story gave me chills...seriously!

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I would also like to make it clear that I am in no way a "conspiracy theorist." I think that word garners a certain amount of negative attention. I don't believe a lot of whacky # I read on these boards, but I do see descrepancies in "official stories," but due to rational thinking, I'm not one to wildly speculate what could have and should have happened.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
When I was 16 I got my first job. When I saw my first paycheck I was really mad because nearly a third of it went to taxes. I was really ticked off. So I started doing research. There was no internet at the time. Only locally run BBS systems. I had a 286 with a 300 baud modem. I found various BBS's and eventually found out about the banking conspiracy known as the Federal Reserve, the invalidity of the the IRS. I then found out about the Bouviers, Rothchilds, Rockefellers, CFR, TriLater, Bilderberg, the Black Nobility and many other very powerful organizations that operate in the background that no one ever hears about.

The truth is we in the US don't need to pay taxes, the current tax code does not require it. The only entities required to pay taxes are those involved in the manufacturing, distribution and sale of alcohol, tabacco and firearms.

I've been researching ever since.

The conspiracy is vast but the ignorance of people is even more so; and that works to the favor of the conspirators.

-Euclid

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I hate to say it but it was David Icke's Shape-shifting reptilians.. I remember stumbling upon an article on the internet about a guy who thinks George Bush is a shape-shifting reptilian from another dimension. Then, i read that he got a standing ovation at the University of Toronto. I said to myself, 'self, who the hell is this guy, i gotta find out more about him.'

So, i looked him up and spent hours researching him. And, i thought that this kindof makes sense! Then i was hooked on all the theories.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Being born without a clue
as to what, why, where, who.

Asking teachers, parents and friends,
but they were busy meeting ends.

thats how I got hooked
to things that have been overlooked.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join