It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOING !!! Greenland Is Rising Because Of Ice Loss

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Some people fail to realize what the planet had to do to get out of the major ice age it had....warm up!

Did humans do that too?

Is it just coincidence that planets around us are warming up as well?

I have no doubt we're screwing this planet up and we need to stop. It's given us everything we've ever needed, yet we're trashing it. That isn't right and I'm all for change to our ways.

But to be ready to jump off a bridge as if we're on the brink of day time temperatures around 200 degrees (Fahrenheit), it's just an unnecessary over reaction.

I mean, we're on the brink of a carbon tax. It's really getting out of control. We allow our leaders to tax us for every little thing, as if that's the answer.

This whole global warming scare is for control. Things aren't as good as oil companies want us to believe, and they're not as bad as our leaders want us to believe. The truth is always right in the middle where bias doesn't play a role.

We need to change our ways, but we're not about to all be incinerated where we stand.

[edit on 11/5/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I really didn't expect this topic to create this much animosity.
I don't think anyone has expressed glee over the deaths of other members of our species. An interest in witnessing an earth changing event is very different from taking joy in the loss of life such an event would have.
Many members have expressed that sentiment better than I can so I gave your posts a star.

reply to post by LaBTop

What you said about a basin was interesting and I took this snip from Wikipedia:

About 81% of its surface is covered by ice, known as the Greenland ice sheet, the weight of which has depressed the central land area to form a basin lying more than 300 metres (984 ft) below the surrounding ocean. Approximately one-twentieth of the world's ice and one-quarter of the earth's surface ice is found in Greenland.
en.wikipedia.org...

I wonder if the loss of this ice, and the fact that the land is rising would prevent the formation of an atol.

Core sample through the ice have shown that this land was once forested and had a diverse ecosystem of flora and fauna.

Scientists who probed two kilometers (1.2 miles) through a Greenland glacier to recover the oldest plant DNA on record said Thursday the planet was far warmer hundreds of thousands of years ago than is generally believed. DNA of trees, plants and insects including butterflies and spiders from beneath the southern Greenland glacier was estimated to date to 450,000 to 900,000 years ago, according to the remnants retrieved from this long-vanished boreal forest. That view contrasts sharply with the prevailing one that a lush forest of this kind could only have existed in Greenland as recently as 2.4 million years ago. The existence of those DNA samples suggest the temperature probably reached 10 degrees C (50 degrees Fahrenheit) in the summer and -17 °C (1 °F) in the winter. They also indicated that during the last interglacial period, 116,000–130,000 years ago, when temperatures were on average 5 °C (9 °F) higher than now, the glaciers on Greenland did not completely melt away.

(see the link above)

I think we can all agree that this event won't occur in one giant slide of the ice sheet, but sections of extreme size will likely have sudden shifts into the sea in the not to distant future.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
An interest in witnessing an earth changing event is very different from taking joy in the loss of life such an event would have.

Yes, it is.

But witnessing an earth changing event that doesn't affect you, and witnessing an earth changing event that kills your family are very different as well.

Like I said, you're viewing it from an outsider's perspective; someone who wouldn't be affected. It's easy for you to have interest in such an event happening because you automatically assume your family won't be involved. We all assume nothing bad will happen to us or the people we love.

But when it does, I'd like to hear you say you'll still have that same interest in viewing the event rather than worrying, crying, and trying to do everything humanly possible to help the loved one of yours whom has been hurt and/or killed by this event you hoped to see.

You are right, having an interest in watching something like that and taking joy in the deaths are two different things. But in order for you to witness something like that, there are going to be deaths involved.

Personally, I think anyone who is concerned about this planet and it's inhabitants, and concerned about the course we're on, would be much more willing to try and stop such an event and make change, and would be more happy to NOT see such an event come to pass, rather than just being able to say "I witnessed that!"

Really, what does that do for you? Being able to see ice fall into the ocean and raise the sea level so that it floods every major city along the coast in the world? I fail to see how seeing that benefits you at all other than saying you got to see it.

If you haven't watched it already, I suggest watching the video of the tsunami that hit in the Indian Ocean, and watching the people struggling to survive, and all of the destruction, the water just over taking everyone and everything in it's path. That's what would happen in every populated area along a coastline if the event you want to see ever happens.

All I'm saying is the cons far out weigh the pros. I'd rather see Greenland's ice stay right where it is than see video of people drowning on my TV.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I feel the same way about a west coast mega-thrust earthquake, a New Madrid catastrophe, or the collapse of La Palma.

We rarely see geological events of this magnitude and almost never in one particular person's lifetime. We are just a fleeting influence on this world when you look at the grand scheme of things and I hope I get to live in interesting times.

I'll go back to the start of this thread to quote something I said.
A west coast mega-thrust earthquake is not something that might happen, it is only a matter of when, and a fact that I have no power to change.

When this event happens almost every living relative I know will be erased from the face of the planet. I will feel the pain of losing them because we are family and I love my brothers, sister, parents, aunts, uncles, and all the children that make up our family.

These people know that they sit on a ticking time bomb, yet they still choose to live within the danger zone and I respect that choice. Every member of my family is very aware of the damage and loss of life associated with the sudden subduction of the Juan de Fuca plate, they even teach it in school. But still, they choose to live there.

As much as I love my family, I would still be awed by the energy release in such an event.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Like I said, we're just on this rock for the ride. Earth is gonna do what it's gonna do and we will have to learn to adjust to survive. It makes me wonder if those civilizations that just disappeared were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Nature can be beatiful and brutal at the same time. It would be a sighting that would go down in history if the ice just slid of Greenland and caused havick around the world. Just don't know if I want to see for myself. You know all those global warming fanactics will be saying I told you so and will try their best to be in power and make decisions for the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Fascinating read. Fascinating the opinions of many who realize the utter destruction of a 250ft wall of water rushing at them at speed of an airliner. I do indeed believe all the rocks in this neighborhood are heating as well. Some kind of Orwellian solution does exist. A giant sunshade in orbit? But we really know so little. Will it do more harm than good? No one knows.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The rise of Greenland may help in modeling what's in store for parts of Antarctica. And, with over 100,000 glaciers, Alaska is also bound to rise ... which may result in a lessened earthquake risk, hmmm.

I'm getting some new ideas on climate change now that I'm starting to read the book by Newt Gingrich on climate change:

Title: A contract with the earth. Authors: Newt Gingrich and Terry L. Maple. Publisher: Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore. 2007. 222 pages.

No, I'm not a conservative, actually more of a political independent. I'm reading it because it occurred to me that humanity's response to climate change is more likely to make sense if areas of consensus are reached across political factions, especially in the U.S.

So far, I notice that the book does not discuss sea level rise, nor Greenland, and neither the Arctic nor the Antarctic, but it does discuss (with genuine concern) the climate threat to polar bears ... you gotta start somewhere.

But remember the saying (which is actually considered to be a curse): May you live in interesting times. The late great science fiction writer Robert Heinlein put it differently -- the greatest achievement during times of great change is to Live Through them.

[edit on 11/7/2007 by Uphill]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

If you too k all the People of the WORLD and put them in TEXAS, it would have the population density of LONDON.

We are not over populated, nor do we need another tax for Global Warming.
Yes, cut pollution, etc.. but this warming IS A CYCLE of the SUN. It's veriifiable.

This is being suppressed, too much money to be made in taxes.

Think of all the Dept's that spend our fiat currency. Have they EVER made ANYTHING
BETTER!?! ANYTHING?
I don't know about you, but I'm still BUYING(?) Bottled?!? WATER?!?
Excuse me but the EPA doesn't enforce anything unless thy get a spotlight thrown on them.
They're not supposed to fix anything. It's all for show.
Look-up Fluoride Dr Hodges Newburgh NY
it's as deadly as lead and mercury and is a prime component of Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

isn't Greenland itself sitting above a 'hot spot', and that's why there's geysers, volcanos all over the place?

I think the standard model is that at a 'hot spot' the molten mantle is closer to the surface of the earth's crust (there's a dome of magma)
and as the crust which is Greenland rises- -so to does the 'hot spot'

~time stamped 4-11-2007 ...forum/thread313001/pg2#pid3673152

both this Above post and another where i referenced a 'hot spot' in Greenland;
www.abovetopsecret.com...=ms/thread320886/pg1#3799512

are proving accurate predictions and deductive insights !
Now the scientists are coming around instead of being led-by-the-nose
with the global-warming climate change (by greenhouse gasses) house-of-cards....

see: "Magma May Be Melting Greenland Ice" ~13 dec 2007
www.livescience.com...

[edit on 4-1-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

There's too many people gathered in small areas.
If we all spread out, things will improve.

You've said a lot of dumb things in this thread but this one takes the cake.

Ever heard of a little thing called urban sprawl?
Yes thats the very thing that pollutes our environment more and more as people need to spend two hours commuting to their jobs, polluting all the way.

Spreading everyone out doesn't work, it makes things worse.
Do you have any clue how many trees need to be cut down, how many wetlands need to be filled in, how many mountains need holes blown through them, how many animals die in traffic as the highways and byways rip through their wilderness?

No you don't have any clue, you are too busy being full of your opinion to see anything.

I'm all for the OP's desire to see some annihilation wave.
There's people dying every minute of starvation, abuse, disease, you name it.

What the hell are you doing about it?
Feeling bad for them? Whining as long and loud as possible?
Great, I'm sure they appreciate it.

Saving their honor on ATS, woohoo lets hear it for the internet hero!

I'm going turn all the lights in my house on now and plug everything in.

Might as well do my part to help some of you people off this planet so you don't cry so much.

[edit on 5-1-2008 by Legalizer]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join