It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan 'set for emergency rule'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Pakistan 'set for emergency rule'

news.bbc.co.uk

Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf is poised to impose emergency rule, local TV channels reported, shortly before going off air.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Thing's look to be getting more and more unstable in Pakistan by the day, not what you really want from a nation that has nukes? God forbid these fall into the hands of a group like the Taliban.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-11-2007 by solidshot]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Emergency rule has now been declared. All private news channels are off-air. The official address will be in about 45 minutes

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
*They* have been trying to off Musharaf for awhile now. This 'martial law' f' n police state speech should be something. There's food crisis' in numerous parts of the world, AID is needed to "developing" countries, let them have their nukes or ban worldwide. India really don't like Pakistan, wonder what's to develop.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The really funny thing is how Benazir Bhutto left in such a hurry for Dubai earlier today. She was supposed to be part of a power sharing deal with Mush' that was in the works. Figured out why she ran for it, now.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Martial law has been declared. Army troops have entered the Supreme Court and the homes of the Supreme Court Justices have been surrounded. Gonna be a bumpy ride in Pakistan today.

Benazir Bhutto is out of the country visiting family in Dubai.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by AncientMariner]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
BBC just reporteded that the Pakistani army has taken control of all TV and radio stations,
and just breaking is that Bhutto is now getting on a plane to fly back to Pakistan.
Off topic-now the BBc are showing a program about the eventual pullout of the US from Iraq. Title of program: "Endgame."

Sure i've heard that somewhere before.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The opposition leader has apparently been detained as well.

Not looking good.

[edit]

The Constitution has just been suspended.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by infinite]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Well I'm a bit shocked.

Yes, Pakistan has militant problems.
Yes, Pakistan has political problems.
Yes, Pakistan courts are ruling on the election.

But still, what brought on this "emergency" all the sudden?

I don't get it.

GeoTV is reporting that the Chief Justice has once again been removed from office. Could it be that he was gonna rule that the election that Mushi won are null and void? Would that be enough to declare martial law? Mushi had already said he would step down as chief of the army if elected president again, so whats going on?

What brought this on?

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think we can assume that musharaf knows something that we don't.
Maybe he has found out about a possible coup attempt or something.
Its hotting up over there,no mistake.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
I think we can assume that musharaf knows something that we don't.
Maybe he has found out about a possible coup attempt or something.
Its hotting up over there,no mistake.

I don't think he suspects a coup attempt. I think its a move by him to try to hold onto power if he believes the Supreme Court was about to rule his recent election win invalid.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This is big news. From CNN's site (yah I know the garbage scowl of the media):

For weeks the country has been coasting in a state of political limbo while the Supreme Court works to tackle legal challenges filed by the opposition that calls into question Musharraf's eligibility to hold office. Some have speculated that a declaration of emergency is tied to rumors the court is planning to rule against Musharraf.

src www.cnn.com...

So it appears as though 'someone' doesn't want to leave office. It will be interesting to see how other countries react, notably the US. With all propaganda against Iran here is a potent, active threat here from a nation who maintains nukes as pointed out by others. Let's see how this unfolds.

brill

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AncientMariner

Aha,gotcha.You could be right.
So Mush himself is kinda having a 2nd coup to keep himself top dog..heheh
sounds about right,I mean it worked the first time ,eh?

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is pretty big stuff. Apparently, the White House advised Musharff not to set up a military state, and we know that Bush has him on a leash. I wonder how he got out of his leash. Something bad is going to happen there, and I bet we ( The United States) will have to interfene soon.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Bhutto ain't coming back, people

www.africasia.com...

Former Pakistani premier Benazir Bhutto will not return to Pakistan from Dubai after President Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency on Saturday, a spokesman for her Pakistan People's Party told AFP.She can't go back to Pakistan now due to the state of emergency," Zubeir Bashir, the PPP's spokesman for the Middle East, said. "If she goes back they would arrest her."

I think it is obvious that this was planned a while ago, since Musharraf pulled this off right after she left for Dubai

[edit on 3-11-2007 by XFoxMulderX]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hey,I know...why don't bushco kill two birds with one stone,get rid of Mush and steal Pakistans Nuke capability to stop it falling into the wrong hands...
Ahem,sarcasm off now.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

hmmmm i wonder if such a similar event might occur next year in the usa

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by XFoxMulderX

Your probably right, but there is a conflicting story posted at Dawn quoting Reuters. It says she is on a plane headed back to Pakistan now, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

ISLAMABAD, Nov 3 (Reuters): Former prime minister Benazir Bhutto boarded a flight back to Pakistan from Dubai on Saturday, her husband said, after President Pervez Musharraf invoked emergency powers and suspended the country's constitution. “(She's flying back) tonight, yes of course,” Asif Ali Zardari told Reuters by telephone from Dubai, saying she was already on the plane.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Yeah, I've looked on other sites, including CNN and MSNBC, and they are saying what Dawn is saying. This is bizarre! I bet the Pakisiani army already has her in custody, and they put this out as a cover story.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I wonder how long Shah Musharraf is going last before an Islamic revolution removes him from power?

Another really good question: What is India doing right now?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join