It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

images from china's "chang'e 1"...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Darn it you caught me, am I wearing a skirt ?, must of been a weekend then.

Yes I had seen the webpage thanks for that, you know I had hoped for more in LO-3-213-H1 it looked as if it was going to yield more secrets than it did, oh well I will have to keep looking when I get time, busy time of year for me though.

As a general comment though the problem with sites like LPI is there is potentially anomalies in those images but all your seeing onsite is the equivelant of thumbnails so unless you suspect they are there you would end up spending a fortune on hi-res prints for no reason.

Pity they don't put all the hi-res stuff up but they probably can't afford the hard drive space.

Sorry about that just my little wynch.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sherpa
Pity they don't put all the hi-res stuff up but they probably can't afford the hard drive space.

I don't think its a question of affordability. It is logical to assume that the raw data is on a computer already somewhere. Its been 40 years..
The full LO dataset consists of 967 medium resolution (MR) and 983 high resolution (HR) frames.

I have 2 terabytes on my server 166.00 for two years That data set would not even dent my space... Maybe I can offer to host them?

Nowadays data storage is cheap... I don't buy for a second that the only copies of the images are on 40 year old prints and negatives...

I like this statement from the USGS

Notes about Image Artifacts

Artifacts of various dimensions and occurrences may be observed in some of the photographs. These artifacts are directly related to the methods of film development, the readout system, the video data, or the ground reconstruction electronics (GRE). Processing performed by USGS does not attempt to remove or correct these artifacts. Examples of such artifacts can be seen in global sub-frames 085H3, 053H3 and 143H3, as well as in very high resolution LO III frame 145M and LO V sub-frame 067H3.

Then on the next page they say this...

[ex[Cosmetically enhanced frames are now available for download. This phase of cosmetic processing removed or minimized the white synchronization read-out dashes found along the margins of the filmstrips where possible. Smoothing filters have also been applied to these frames to reduce the effects of film grain.

The bold is their highlight only its in red
(The color here does not always seem to work)

So lets all rush out and get these "Cosmetically enhanced frames" I am sure we will find them useful

And they could always put them on CD so we could buy them that way

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The situation at LPI is quite mad really somebody pulls a dupe negative, (the original negatives are kept in a cold vault and never used), they are couried over to the lab thats scanning them then they are couried back where they are refiled.

Now that has got to be more expensve than just hosting them or as you suggest putting them on a CD.

Yeah I am going to have to spend some more time over at usgs but looking at image after image as I have done with most of the LO frames can be quite mind numbing, good if you suffer from insomnia though

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
3.5 TRILLION buys a lot of couriers... and space ships and coffee

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I had this thread running regarding the Chang'e 1 photo.
China: Our Moon Photo is not Faked
I'm hoping for additional photos to be released soon, so this can be put to rest....

We know the photo is of nearly the same area as the NASA photo (no new crater in China's photo), but the shadows in the craters do not line up...

Still - The odd part about the whole thing is China's reaction to simple rumors on the internet that their photo was a fake..

"Thou protest too much"

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
see this planetry org article

Chang'e 2: The Full Story

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join