It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Hip-Hop Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

I'm totally with that. Talib Kweli is grossly over rated. I would really love the Blackstar albums if Talib wasn't in them. Haha.. He's just another nerd rapper that throws in tough guy punch lines after cramming run on sentences into a very small portion of time. That mouth moves, and moves, and moves with zero style what so ever. Word play is decent, but it just seems like he's lacking a lot of style when it comes to delivery.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
He's really lacking delivery. I just don't understand why people enjoy his work so much. When you're listening to the Black Star album, it's almost as if Mos Def is holding back on purpose. It's pretty saddening.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

TextThat reminds me, you guys know about RJD2, right? His latest album sucked but Deadringer and Since We Last Spoke had a few good tunes on it:

Smoke & Mirrors
Ghostwriter
Exotic Talk
Someone's Second Kiss
& Iced Lightning

RJ is from my neighborhood. We miss him around Columbus . He used to play all the time, but now I think he's kicking it in Philly.
Blueprint is still about though. Has anyone heard of Soul Position? (Blueprint and RJ)

my hip hop favs.

Jedi Mind Tricks (I have most of thier vinyls)
The Pharcyde (mmmmmm dr-op)
Immortal Technique
Wu Tang Clan
Binary Star
Bone Thugz
Atmosphere
Lyrics Born
Del the Funky Homosapien

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Not enough dudes are into Binary. I really like how light and real they kept their $. I heard they broke up over money issues though.. Ironic.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

They're making a new album together. Should be out sometime in 2008. I completely forgot about these guys to tell you the truth, right after Water World came out. Should be interesting to hear what they come up with next.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Mos Def is my dude, but I noticed on Tru3 Magic that he spit a line like "He said it's all about the Benjamins, don't believe it now, di'nt believe it then." And I can't remember what Binary Star song but it's that exact line, if it's not, it's not far off. Kind of bummed me out.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:30 AM
link   
It's not exactly rare for rappers to take key hooks and reuse them. J Dilla would use "throw your #ing hands up in the air, and wave 'em like you just don't care".

On the other hand, Mos Def's latest work(s) are pretty mediocre and honestly, bad. So I don't know. He's not getting better, that's for sure.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

You're kidding me, right? True Magic was amazing. His rhymes are still disgusting, though not as much experiemental as I've grown to like, but regardless.... # was still awesome!

Whole track, even the jacked line can't be touched.

"Talk about today's mathematics
An eighth, an O, a key
And the caliber on your ratchet"

Dude's the new Jesus as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I don't know man, he just doesn't seem like a powerful image anymore when it comes to his studio work. Everything he does live is mind blowing though. He toured around with Madlib for a few low-key shows, they went on to do some improv after the set... Man! Madlib was doing some very solid drum work and Mos came out of nowhere and started landing some beautiful piano work. He's very talented but I'm just not feeling it through his last 2 albums.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

Even recently I've had True Magic on repeat in my car and at my house. I like his darker sounding stuff a little better than his retropop sounding beats, that's for sure. Who produces his stuff anyway? I know that "Mathematics" song is a Primo beat, but who primarily?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
True Magic had:

Rich Harrison
Minnesota
RZA
Juvenile and XL
&
Preservation

It was Preservation that did most of the production though.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

I'm sure you've probably heard it, but man........

The RJD2 and Cannibal Ox's - The F word.

Probably one of my favorite songs of all time, non-genre specific.

"she was in a love triangle
but it wasn't like my feelings weren't there to make it a square
penny's for her thoughts
she's my very own American Beauty, red petals when we talk."

And the guitar thrown into the beat.

How is your # coming anyway?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Us? Well, we took out MySpace down due to the amount of upkeep it required. It was taking up too much of our time, sifting through all the nonsense. So instead we decided to put up a few YouTube videos to accompany our tunes.

Here's a few:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

We're going to be putting up a few more in the coming weeks and then we'll just let it spread before we get signed.

Hope y'all enjoy.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
^

It takes a while to make the videos, but I'm sure I'll be posting a few more in the next few weeks. Let us know what you think about them, anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join