It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics of Fear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
(Note, this is the second mini article I am writing today. I will not be responding to replies)

In the US, we are told we need to give up our rights. We are at war. We face a threat far more deadly and lethal than any we have ever seen before.

The Terrorists.

They killed 3000 people that day. We will make them pay.

Oh, how they'll pay.

But, we need to give up a few things. Wiretaps, and warrantless arrests are now much easier, because this is a new day, a day where we are at war.

I was watching TV the other day. If I could recall who said the following, I'd tell you. But I simply have no idea. Someone said "For 40 years during the Cold War, we lived in constant threat of Nuclear Devastation. We didn't give up any rights, or grant any executive powers. But now, because of a few thousands terrorists, we're scared?"

How very true. Think about it. With a push of a button, the Soviet Union could have killed us all. 6 billion people. A push of a button, and it could have all been over. Mutually assured destruction. No one would have lived.

On top of that, they had a huge, highly trained military, they had territory and allies all over the world. Guerilla warfare was not invented by the terrorists. The Commies were experts too. They had basically, unlimited funding for decades.

Now, 9/11 was a terrible, tragic day. But no matter what you believe, whether is was an attack made by terrorists, or an inside job, compared to the threat of the Soviet Union, 3000 dead is nothing at all.

All through the Cold War, everyone lived under the swinging sword of atomic armageddon. The whole planet could be doomed in seconds.

Even if the Terrorists had nuclear weapons, and killed 10 million people, it would be terrible, it would be tragic, awful...But compared to what the United States of America lived under for 40 years, the threat is still minimal at best.

All through the Cold War, we did not give up freedom. We did not give in to fear. We stood proud. But now, a few thousand cave dwellers and camel riders, have us shaking in our boots.

Yes, 9/11 was a wake up call. We realized that even we could be hurt. But compared to the Nazi threat of WW2, or the Cold War, they got nothin.

Even if the Terrorists somehow killed 100 million people, they still pale in comparison to the threat of Mutually Assured Desctruction.

It may sound cold or callous to hear me say this. But just let it set in. As terrible as 100 million deaths would be, it is absolutely nothing compared to the end of the world.

Yet, that is what we faced, every day, for 40 years. We were not scared. There was no Patriot Act. Since September 11th, America changed. America became scared. In every major conflict of the 20th century, the cost of blood we paid was well more than 9/11, Iraq, and Afghanistan combined. Yet, even with such a terrible toll paid, we were not shaken.

But now, we're scared. Of what? It's insane to think that we are threatened, by this. So miniscule a threat. That we should give an inch, for a threat so much smaller than what we have faced before. To me, it's insane.

For 40 years, the world could have ended with a push of a button. Yet we were resolute. There is nothing more terrible that we can be threatened with. So why, why now, America, do we tremble in fear?

Ask yourself, why should we be scared? Why should we have limits on Liberty imposed.

Patrick Henry once said "Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Death!" This is what freedom meant to our forefathers. This is what it should mean to us. Now, the merest hint of danger has us running scared.

It is time we find our soul, America. It is time we take back our title.

This is The Land of The Free, Home of The Brave.

The United States of America.

Or will you let that dream die, with Camelot?

new topics

join