It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about getting a motorcycle

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Bikes own.

I can only repeat what some posters have already said about bikes.

Regarding costs and traffic and extra places to go where you can't in a car, bikes rule the roads.

But, getting a 1300 for a first bike is a bit drastic. You don't need all that, seriously, you don't.

Also you gotta take into consideration the type of journeys your gonna make.

Are you going on a long straight road where being comfy on cushion and having foot rests that res half your body too, luggage bags you can put the kitchen sink in which are adorned with panzy poofter tassles and fancy silvery buckles (I could go on)?
Then get a Harley... yes the tried and tested old tractors. There is an expression we use about harleys and their owners which I can't repeat here..
but it goes along the lines of .... cos every has got one..

Or do you want a ride where you can have the muscle in the engine but have the semi comfort with a bit of built in handling and where you can sit at 120mph all the time effortlessly?
My advice, Kawasaki Z series (the recent Z750 is as good, if not slightly better than the Z1000)

or do you want a pocket rocket, full race spec, fairings, sore back side, stiff legs, wrists you'd rather cut off?
Then you want something like this;

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
If your just starting out riding a motorcycle,I suggest you start with a smaller model,a 1300 is pretty big bike to break in on,just ask my son who hopped on a 750 Raptor when biggest he was on was a 250,he put it into a cliff at 80 mph,but I too want to buy a bike when I move to Az,an Aprilia,Ducati or a Buell road bike

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Ive got two websites that I visit sometimes that have alot of motorcycle information one is Motorcycle Advice USA.com and they also have a community forum that has alot of safety info to here is the link for that one Community Forum check under Learning how to ride and Motorcycle Buying tips!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think motorcycles are a great way to go compared to cars or trucks.I think you should go for it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I am about to retire my antique Harley FLT for a better replacement. I'm not selling the FLT for sentimental reasons, but I won't ride it much anymore. It has 335,000 miles on it (not a typo). It has had the upper end rebuilt 6 times, and been completely rebuilt twice. It looks cool as hell, but it simply doesn't have the performance, or reliability that I want anymore.

I have ridden Harleys since before it was popular. I paid my dues. Now I am getting a "riders" machine. I don't care what anyone else thinks of it, especially the "Harley" crowd. My dad owns a Harley repair shop, and he makes a good living working on nothing but Harleys. Have you ever heard of an indepedant bike shop not associated with a dealership that makes its entire profit on only 1 make of machine? Have you ever heard of a Yamaha only shop? A Honda only shop? No they would make NO MONEY. They have to work on all makes, and models to be profittable yet you can make a very tidy sum if you only work on Harleys, says something yes?

I intend to get a Moto Guzzi Norge as soon as I save up the cash. It isn't the fastest. It isn't the cheapest. It isn't the most popular, or the "in" bike to have. That is EXACTLY why I want it. I test rode one, and absolutely fell in love. It is perfectly balanced. Good power, great handling, extremely comfortable, absolutely gorgeous lines, and not everyone and their grandma's loser boyfriend has one. It is still a V-twin, but horizontal instead of vertical in the frame. Sounds awesome, ultimate reliability, much better gas mileage, and it just fits my personality. I will enjoy having people stare at it, and try to guess what it is.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
You really have to look at the safety aspect.

For one, make sure to take the motorcycle training course. You get your license and they teach you alot of common sense about driving/riding a motorcycle that might save your life one day.

Also take a realistic look at where you live and plan to ride every day.
To sum it all up, the fewer cars per square mile the better when it comes to riding a bike.

Car drivers suck. They suck in that they are oblivious to motorcyclists.

I cannot tell you how many people I have wanted to get off my bike and physically hurt because they almost took me and my bike out.
All if not most simply due to their lack of attention and focus.

Riding a bike will make you a better driver though....you really feel the physics and dynamics around you.

I say go for it but most of all , be SAFE !!! And always wear a helmet. ....and leathers...if you can afford it.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Perfectenemy123

Hehe you say now that you only want to get a bike to save money... but as you ride it you will find you can not do without one..

I remember when I got my first bike... it was a Ninja 600.. I got it just to save some gas money driving back and forth to work... then winter came and all I could do was think about hitting the open road...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Perfectenemy123

There are two kinds of riders, those who have gone down
and those who are going down.

If you live in India or Vietnam a small Honda Trail
type motorcycle might make sense. In America
its a form of suicide.
and most big bikes really dont get that great
gas mileage.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
4 IT guys.
3 of them Motorcycle riders, all my coworkers.

1 dead
1 paraplegic, still working here.
1 permanent knee damage, no longer works here (for other reasons)
All from motorcycle accidents.
It's a numbers game, and it's mostly the other drivers that don't pay attention.

If you do it, please be careful....please!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join