It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10m colossal squid netted!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
cool story with pic

giant squid caught

Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni was about 10m (33ft) long, and was the first adult colossal squid landed intact

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Damn, isnt this like the first one ever caught? i think this is old, I remeber the picture from somewhere, but I could be wrong, great find, if its new.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Dude check the date of the story..Anything that old is most likely already here the search function is your friend

Cool story nontheless

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostryder21

I'm inclined to question the validity of a squid story containing a quote like this:

One expert said calamari rings made from it would be like tractor tyres.

That smacks of Weekly World News to me.

Wig

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is already here somewhere.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I didnt know bout this! Awesome! thanks dude! I thought they only got bits and peices of em...

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
reply to post by ghostryder21

That smacks of Weekly World News to me.

How do you figure? When the general public thinks about squid, they tend to think calamari. It stands to reason that a squid of that size would produce gigantic rings of squidy goodness. That sort of statement puts the size of the thing into perspective in an unpretentious way.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Okay, that's fair. Maybe I'm being pretentious.

But it's kind of funny, isn't it? Instead of "the creature weighed in at x, with a mantle length of y and a total length of z", they give us "it would make for gigantic pieces of calamari."

Right? A little odd?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Actually the same "calamari" statement was made about the last giant squid. In fact it was an almost identical statement.

Just bothers me that they have to kill it. I mean, it is such a rare thing, who knows how many of these squid even exist?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Just bothers me that they have to kill it.

I've always thought that giant squids that close to the surface are half-dead already. Am I wrong?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
mmmmmm calamari rings.......

ok now that im hungry,

it states that the boat was deep fishing and caught it in its net, it fought all the way up to the surface.

as for the calamari ring statment, it goes no diffrent then when they use the statement, "as tall as a stalk of corn, or as big as an elephants @$$. its just something to refrence it to the common man. if you got joe in montana going "x to the y to the z? damn i didnt know this was going to include math" it would be beter to say it was as big as a tractor tire and joe then goes "dammmn thats some good eats"

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
I've always thought that giant squids that close to the surface are half-dead already. Am I wrong?

Yea, you're right but I'll bet they were more concerned with breaking records than the well being of the animal.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The BBC picked the story up.. Seems highly credible to me.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Opulisum
Damn, isnt this like the first one ever caught? i think this is old, I remeber the picture from somewhere, but I could be wrong, great find, if its new.

Yeah - this pic is from 6 months or so ago - caught off New Zealand, if I recall..

J.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Just bothers me that they have to kill it.

Mr Anderton said the fishermen had been fishing for Patagonian toothfish in deep Antarctic waters when the squid - which was eating a toothfish - was caught.

“The squid was almost dead when it reached the surface, and the careful work of the crew was paramount in getting this specimen aboard in good condition,” he said.

They didn't have to kill it; it was dead.

If anything bothers you, it should the people that eat toothfish from deep Antartic waters. The toothfish is already in severe decline from overfishing.

The squid was killed by decompression when it came to the surface; its natural environment has a much higher pressure. They didn't "have to" kill it. It died on its way up. Just a part of the process.

There is a reason the swami keeps to rice and beans.

Sri Oracle

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   
This can be new to many of you, but for me it's kind a normal. In fact that squid is quite small.
I lived in Azores when i was young for 4 years, and in that place it is normal to listen fisherman storys about colossal squids 2, 3 times bigger then that one.
In S.Michel Island, if you go to the top of a place called "Lagoa do fogo" (Fire lake), it is a huge vulcano full of water, if you stay there many days and many hours, it will be almoust granted that you will see a fight on open sea between one of that mosnters and a spermwale. I had seen that 2 times.
The fishermans boats hull are covered by a thick rubber protection, because the squids , who have a horrid vision, thinks the boats are wailes and atack them. Beeing so big they have huge hard thorns in they'rs tentaculae, and that thorns get sticked in the rubber protection and do not damage the metal or wood hull of the ships. The fisher mans always have that thorns to sell to turists as momentos...lol
In the same island, in the city of Ponta Delgada, there are a extraordinary natural history museum, with some nice dead exemplars of that huge animals.
Due to the fights between them and the spermwales (cachalotes) it is normal times to times some tentaculae came a shore. The biggest one ever found there was 143 meters long!!
Even for portuguese people this is not too knowed. But go to Azores and walk around the native fishing zones, and the museum, and you will see how much natural this is for that people there!
Azores is a well known zone due to they'r big sea creatures and because it looks that the islands are the top mountains of Atlantis. Between the islands in the bottom of the ocean floor there are many arqueological places with some ruins and huge stone walls.
A place to visit for sure, if you can afford for it.

[edit on 5-11-2007 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

I have been corrected and I should have thought that thru as I already knew that. Just wasn't thinking.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I was watching Monster Quest once and they caught one on camera I think 2000 or 3000 feet in the ocean and it was atleast 160 feet long.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowed Angel

That has been discussed on this forum, including the video. Why you pulled up this thread from months back instead of that one eludes me. In fact the thread is still on the first page, with "Monster Quest" in the thread title.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Umbra Sideralis

Great article.........I had a 1000 meter bell at 2000 feet and had a 15footer jump on it. We had 36" view ports and he hit it as we were looking out shook every one up. Got him off with Hydraulic arm. That was bad enough,

Thanks Jim

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join