It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African Lion Reported Roaming woods in West Virginia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It has been reported that an African Lion is loose n the woods in West Virginia.

www.wsaz.com...

A hunter reported seeing it. Seeing one in the wild like this wil send chills down your spine.
I hope they catch it before it kills someone.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here is the blurb from the news report in case it disappears

If an African lion is roaming the mountains of southeastern West Virginia, Angus Peyton wants it captured, not killed.

Peyton is offering a $3,000 award for the safe and humane capture of the lion.

He also wants the animal to be placed in refuge.

The Charleston broker says he fears someone may try to shoot the lion.

Bow hunter Jim Shortridge swears he saw a male African lion weighing between 250 and 300 pounds at the foot of Cold Knob Mountain earlier this month.

Rainelle-based Tiger Mountain Refuge and Greenbrier County animal control officer Robert McClung have placed motion-sensitive video cameras in that area in hopes of getting an image of the lion.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Its also reported here with more details:
www.alliednews.com...

Shortridge was at the homemade hunting shanty before daybreak, at about 5:30 a.m., and was in the process of transferring his gear to the building when he first heard the animal. His only weapon at the time was a bow that was still in his truck a few feet away.

“He started growling at me and I hollered and it sounded like he was running away,” Shortridge said. “So I put my lunch box down and went back to my truck and got my bow.”

“He started growling again,” Shortridge continued, “and when I went back in the building and sat down, I turned the light on him. He was about 10 to 15 yards away, and he kept walking back and forth and was huffing and puffing at me.”

The story went on to speculate that if it was an abandoned pet that it is possibly declawed and defanged, and has little chance of surving long in the wild.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand West Virginia can get quite cold in the winter and lions need to live in warm climates. So the lion(s) will not be much of a threat because it will be killed by the cold, when it sets in in a few weeks.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wow, what a site to see. I would love to see it! Im obsessed with Lions. Probably because im a Leo

I wonder if they have found it yet? I hope its okay

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Maybe it's one of those rare Panthera Atrox sightings

members.tripod.com...

www.cryptomundo.com...

Supposedly there are all black versions of this cat as well.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Update;
There is now a $3000 reward for the capture of the lion.

If an African lion is roaming the mountains of southeastern West Virginia, Angus Peyton wants it captured, not killed.

Peyton is offering a $3,000 award for the safe and humane capture of the lion.

www.wsaz.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm gonna go hunt for this lion...

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The latest on the hunt for the African lion:

Lion Hunt Called Off

Huntington, WV (HNN) – After some one rewound one of the Greenbrier County cameras and put a blank white item over the lens, the hunt for the rumored African lion roaming that part of the Mountain State has been called off. No additional attempts will be made to capture the animal on film.

No one is saying that the whole story may have been a hoax by some hunters, but, eyes are still open and a reward still remains if a lonely Leo the Lion --- which is an endangered species --- comes out of a cave or forest.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Aw, thats too bad. I kind of hope its a hoax and the poor lion isnt out there roaming around.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Probably just a mountain lion...

top topics

join