It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the draft is getting closer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I was in the reserves didnt have to go did it to prove it to myself that I could do it

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Then I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
No offense taken...youre 16, I understand your feelings
when I was 16 I was mortified about going to Nam, but I knew if I was called I HAD to go...running off to dodge my responsibility has never been an option, not for me or any REAL men...I expect you will probably change views more than once before it comes your time to serve...by the way I DO NOT believe that we will have another draft...not any time soon.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
They do have plans for a new draft, fact is they wont have enough troops to control Iraq and do what we want to do without a draft...and all that # about replacing troops is bull, none are gonna be sent home I suspect.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
They? they who...Now would be a great time for a little evidence.

Oh and tell that to my brother, he just got home...THEY must be decieving me with a Brother hologram??

[Edited on 29-1-2004 by cyberpilot]

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I agree the draft is getting closer with every waking moment. In fact, I believe tomorrow, Friday 1-30-04, there will be a draft. Perhaps two, three, or ten. Most likely they will be a Lite draft, but nonetheless a draft. I am a firm supporter in a draft. I am a firm believer in taking shots for my country, while in a draft, taking the full brunt of such acts as Irish Carbombs. Stand proud and accept a draft if one comes you way!

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
May I ask all those leaping to the defence of the draft, to firstly read this article.

The Bush administration talks about supporting the troops and meanwhile it cuts their combat pay midway through a tour of duty in Iraq, he said. Veterans are being stripped of their benefits and more funds need to be reserved in the budget to support them, he [Howard Dean] said.

www.primarymonitor.com...

So, just as in the past, the veterans are being treated like #e by the Government. The difference now is that the Bush administration aren't waiting for the troops to get back before thowing them away like pieces of trash - they are doing it right now, while the 'war' is still going on. Why in hell's name are people putting up with it ? Do any of those aching to be drafted have any idea what war is really about ? It's not a fecking video game. I've spoken to many people about this, and the combatants all point out that war truly is horrendous.

And then to get back, missing a limb or an eye, given for the 'cause', how are they treated by the Government who sent them there ? Like heroes, like conquering warriors ? ... no ... they are treated like #. And it's not just now. This has been going on for many years. My own grandfather was at Alamein - his foxhole received a direct hit and he ended up invalided back to Britain. And how was he treated ? Was he thanked for fighting for freedom, was he feted as a hero ? ... No. The council told him that he hadn't paid their taxes during the time he was away fighting the Nazi's, and took his business away. Bastards.

So - to Hell with our so-called leaders. If Bush, Blair etc want to send people to fight and die, then lets see them on the front line too. But we'll never see that, will we, gutless wonders that they are.

[Edited on 29-1-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
No one is a coward for not fighting when they don't believe they should fight.

You should be against the draft because you don't know who we will fight in the future, or for what president, or for what reason.

If you want to be the long arm of the international police then be my guest, but some people do not agree with the gonernment as it is their right by the Constitution.

There is something great to be said about those who served with me, before and after me as well.

But I can not justify forcing people to do anything in a FREE country.

Period.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I don't think it would be such a bad thing to get up in the military. If there was a choice I wouldn't mind joining the marines, I get to go home to Beaufort to take basic at Parris Island and I get a lot of useful military training. I'm 19 and a few months ago I was against the draft, now I'm kind of open to the idea. Here is my logic:

All you out there who oppose it (the draft) you could come home after your term is up and put your training to good use. Some believe that there is a civil war looming and I am personally in agreement with this fact after I read about all the things the government is doing to destroy the basic American framework. The government would have a hard time putting down a resistance that was primarily military trained.

We have excellent training facilities here and if our generation was sent to war, it can be determined through simple logic that the worst fighters would be killed off, or at least the selection of high caliber soldiers to fight a resistance would be easier. Just go to war for your country and let the system backfire. It will teach those in power a serious lesson and set an example for history to follow.

Personally I could do with a little military trainging in the use of tactics that I could employ for personal security. If I change my mind, like I often do, I have dual citizenship so I'll just drop my American citizenship and watch you suckers die for some bull#. But I'll be there in the trenches with you more likely than not.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
And if you think that I am a coward, you'd better go take a peak in my service record book.

You can call me Corporal if you like friend...

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
But I can not justify forcing people to do anything in a FREE country.

Period.

Oh! You are under the impretion that the United States is a "free" country? Well it is if you disregard the governemtns efforts to stifle the Constitutional Bill of Rights or work around them/ignore them.

Back to topic. I think the most valuable commentary on the subject is ex-soldiers who are in opposition to the draft. IMO, no one in the governmental body should be writing/voting on this legislation unless they served in an hostile conflict. Of course this is not the case, nor will it ever be thanks to our "free" country based on a government of officials we voted in, but this just shouts HYPOCRISY at the top of Washingtons lungs.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberpilot
They? they who...Now would be a great time for a little evidence.

Oh and tell that to my brother, he just got home...THEY must be decieving me with a Brother hologram??

[Edited on 29-1-2004 by cyberpilot]

Yes, thats it..a "brother hologram".

If you are too lazy to search, try

www.bushdraft.com...
Yes, this site is a little biased, but the actual information is true. Also it is well known we dont have enough troops in Iraq to control it at the level the govt. wants to...just because your brother is home doesnt mean that other people are coming home, my friend's brother is in army reserve and has been home for quite some time, he could be called up soon. Even people enrolled in ROTC at the university where I live are being called up.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberpilot
I cant believe my eyes, you boys are willing to live here and enjoy the freedom and wealth of this great country, but you wont defend her?? go to canada or somewhere and stay.

Who's defending? It's our country that's doing all the attacking and invading...

Also, giving back to the country is sharing and giving to others, and teaching others what you know in my view. Not killing people for it..

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I've said this several thousand times, but I will reiterate my point again. I am opposed to the draft due to this war that we are currently fighting. I am opposed to the draft because I gave up the life of violence. I am not opposed to service when it would actually be needed, but as long as the UN is using Amerikan troops as expendable personel, I can not agree to serve. I would take up arms and fight VOLUNTARILY if the citizens of this country actually were fighting for their freedoms. In the case of going in front of the draft board for this war, I would march my ass up in there and tell them how it is--I disagree with the premise for this war, I disagree with the occupation of Iraq, I disagree with the actions taken here in Amerika as a result of the "war on terror", I disagree with the UNs use of Amerikan troops. When the fight is right, I'll join up voluntarily.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
ok, my mistake.

This "supposed" free country.

hehe

Yeah, my favorite type of people are non-combatants who seem to know what combat is like and who should go.

I'm pretty sure that anyone FOR the draft is either:

-done serving
-can't serve
-or is serving

otherwise they think it's #

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Shoktek...that site is not a little biased...its speculative propaganda, pure and simple...I asked for evidence, anyone can speculate...and no I'm not too lazy to search, you tell me theres gonna be a draft...if you want me to believe it, its up to you to convince me...not me to convince myself.
Personally I dont think there should be a draft, but if there is, I think those chosen should consider it a honor to be called upon by this country.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Have you people lost your minds? Honestly, the draft ain't gonna happen anytime soon. the military is down on people, sure, but we ain't run out yet. And for whoever said the troops won't be coming home, thats pretty funny. I'm coming back in april. But they're probably lying to us right?. LOL .Or like Cyberpilot said, they just send our holograms home. My wife will never notice. LOL

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Thankfully, the military didn't accept me back in 2000 and nothing with me has changed. If they try to draft me, I will either be put under concitious(sp?) objectors or a guy with plenty of deferments.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
I am 18 and there is no way in hell I would go into war. I would move to Canada.

Bad news for you, the Canadian Gov back in the 80's promised the US they would turn over dodgers if/when the issue ever came up again.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
To all the people saying "You enjoy these fredoms, but you won't fight for them, blah blah blah" I say this, The fredoms that we enjoy are not there because Bush put them there, and killing Iraqis isn't going to grant us any more fredoms. Why call it fighting for fredom when the man that is starting these war(s) is doing his damndest to take it (our fredom) away? I'm not going to go and kill a bunch of people so the MIC (Millitary Industrial Complex) brass can fatten there pockets. War for wars sake is a bad idea. If Bush gets re-ellected I am sure that we are going to end up in another war AND, the draft will be put in place. BTW, I am 22, and single, so I am right in the "prime" category for being drafted.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join