It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YF-23 Black Widow ( Western Museum of Flight )

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 09:09 AM
link   
A beautifull air fighter.

aircraftstories.free.fr...

jra

posted on Dec, 10 2002 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I love that jet. it's a damn shame that it didn't win against the yf-22. i think the 23 is so much better. just looks sweet too.

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Gotta admit, it looks sweeter than the YF22... (Sorry Dad!)---he works for Lockheed, hehe...

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Gazrok & jra, I agree.

But I don't know wich one was the best one ? The F-22 or the F-23 ? It seems that the F-22 won only for a money reason but that the F-23 was better.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
Gazrok & jra, I agree.

But I don't know wich one was the best one ? The F-22 or the F-23 ? It seems that the F-22 won only for a money reason but that the F-23 was better.

It is a good looking plane but i thought that it was political reasons not money reasons.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My, do I love that aircraft. Perhaps we will see a reincarnation of it as the FB-23.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Whats that big bump on the fuselage? Don't they take care of the aircraft?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
It sure is a beauiful fighter... And the F-14 in the background ain't bad either...

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dead steve
Here is a silly question.

What is stopping some one from grabbing a chunk of Ram coating and mailing it to some other country?

Dead Steve

Even if they did, from what I've heard, it's almost impossible to reverse engineer it. That was one of the things brought up with the F-117 that was shot down. They can see what it does, but it's incredibly difficult if not impossible to reverse engineer. One of the nasty things about RAM, at least the early stuff, was that if you had a relatively minor problem, like an engine fire (and I mean minor in the sense that most planes turn off the engine, fire goes out), in the F-117 the RAM would catch fire, and once that went up, you weren't getting it out short of landing and having specialized fire fighting equipment used on it.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I love this aircraft more than any aircraft.

If there was one aircraft i'd marry it'd be the F-23

I sincerely hope that the FB-23 will fly some day...

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What I find a little sad is how badly this aircraft has been allowed to deteriorate. This is a key part of American aviation history and it is showing obvious signs of neglect. Shameful.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The US Navy wanted the F-23 as a Naval ATF replacement for the F-14, At least someone tried to save it, Shame this fighter lost.

Is the windshield smashed a bit? It does look like it has been somehow cracked.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
The US Navy wanted the F-23 as a Naval ATF replacement for the F-14, At least someone tried to save it, Shame this fighter lost.

Is the windshield smashed a bit? It does look like it has been somehow cracked.

Wrong Aircraft, you're thinking of the thing with the A-12 Avenger.

The YF-23(Never designated F-23) and YF-22 were exclusively part of the ATF competition between Northrop and Lockheed Martin. The YF-22 won out for many reasons, the YF-22 was the better "Master of none" aircraft, meaning all around it was the better choice, due to political, economical, and also the performance of the craft. The YF-23 was better in many aspects, but in the end, they decided the margain wasn't sufficient enough for the money.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
too bad they couldnt have them both be used

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
check it out on local.live
east view

west view

north view

south view

you'll also notice an F14 and what looks like an F18 but the tail looks a little different

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Intersting but how old are these pics?

The reason i ask, is for the last year or so the YF-23 has been back at Northrup for an overhual and renovation. Ive been tot he area a few times and it has been "Out"

Northrup field is right next door BTW.

It begs the question as well: Why did they need the a/c for a year? And where is the 2nd aircraft that was at the Edwards Flight Test Museum???? and cannot be found?????

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
As I figured. Those pictures are old:

From the website

on loan, will be back on display in June 2006.
www.wmof.com...

And the F-18 in the background is really a YF-17 the plane that flew aginst the YF-16 for the USAF before the Navy picked it up.

[edit on 2/11/06 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
yeah its pretty but always looked to me closer to the SR-71 than a fighte! The YF-23 lost but I feel that they studied it rather close and put some features into the F-22a.

The design of the FB-23 cools like a true bomber as the yf-23 looked more like a bomber than a fighter than the F-22 the fb-22 looks like a mirage2000 (i think thats the plane i am thinking about) not a futuristic bomber design.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yeah this should have beaten the raptor just because it looks so cool.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What is this

And this is?

Wounds?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join