It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Tech creates robots that think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This should be in a "New Technology" forum, but part of it goes here. Facinatig article about a scientist who first tried to "kill" his creations then made them more advanced.

Long link here

Thaler, too, is engineering independent robots. A glossy, black, plastic cockroach named H3 could be the prototype for swarms of bunker-busting robots that could seek out, explore and use collective intelligence to defeat an enemy target. The U.S. Air Force has contracted Thaler to create such robots.

Robots, including Mars rovers, have been programmed with artificial intelligence before, Thaler said. But those robots require human engineers to program in leg movements and rules for getting around obstacles. Each unique encounter requires new programming, new rules, and time.

H3 gets no tutelage from Thaler at all. A sonar beacon beckons the robot, and H3's legs begin to flail. Every time the robot makes a movement that carries it closer to the signal, it learns the value of the move. Within a few seconds, the cockroach coordinates enough good moves to scuttle toward the signal.

[Edited on 28-1-2004 by Netchicken]

[Edited on 28-1-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
well then those robots aren't too smart now r they considering the fact that they can't even repair themselves...

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
You mentioned the AI on the mars rovers, I assume it's used for the hazard navigation system?

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
heh when I reread the article it said that the Mars rover was NOT using his system. So I don't know what system they use, I edited my post to take my error out.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Gotta wonder what kind of tech these "cockroach" 'bots are gonna use to eliminate the enemy... it's likely gonna be a gruesome sight.

top topics

join