It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the real difference between Atheist/Agnostic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Basically, it seems atheist and agnostics are the same. I don't see any difference. However, I do not believe in god or jesus christ. Mary in my opinion was just a whore that had a baby, and the three kings were her pimps, and Joseph was just an un-lucky guy that got cheated on way back in the day.

And she doesn't know which one the baby belongs to. However, I guess Atheists, believe in science to prove in god, and agnostics just aren't sure if there is one or not. Atheist really isn't a religion, and neither is agnostic, but really who cares?

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
No, there is a difference.

Agnostics are unable to know whether god exists or does not exist.

An atheist -- me being a de facto atheist -- assumes that in the absence of evidence, god does not exist and lives life according to the evidence.

The similarities are that if there was any real, concrete evidence for the existence of a deity, both camps would revise their opinions.

Atheism is a stronger stance than agnosticism.

There are degrees of atheism from weak to de facto. Weak atheism being practically synonymous with agnosticism.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Weak Athiest
Lazy Athiest
Subdued Athiest
Chilled Athiest
Moderate Athiest
Talkative Athiest
Verbal Athiest
Stressed Athiest
Angry Athiest
Gorilla Athiest
Extremist Athiest
MajorMalfunction

That's how I like to remember it!

MonKey

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
ChiKey I almost choked on my breakfast!

Where does Dawkins fit on your continuum?

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Theist - Agnostic - Athiest
.................^...................

It's a see-saw that's balanced perfectly. Athiest sit on one side while Agnostics hover near the middle refusing to let either side weigh more.

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
An atheist...assumes that in the absence of evidence

*cough* The stars look lovely tonight. Don't you think?

[edit on 31-10-2007 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well then chikey monkey, that pretty much sums it up right there I guess? Lol. Gorilla Atheist and Major Malfuntion aye? What's the difference between the two?

[edit on 31-10-2007 by jca2005]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Now, now dbates, you know that the existence of the universe does not count as evidence of a creator.

Let's not open up that can of worms this early in my day.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Now, now dbates, you know that the existence of the universe does not count as evidence of a creator.

Let's not open up that can of worms this early in my day.

Lol, I want to open a can of worms now! Just to watch you squirm around.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Ahh, that is choosing what the evidence is. You have no evidence that God does not exist. You just choose to believe such. Just as I choose to believe God is there. That, is the will of a free mind.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
Ahh, that is choosing what the evidence is.

I was just giving MM a light-hearted nudge. I don't think we want to go there in this thread. That would drag the entire thing off topic.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
An atheist believes without a doubt that God does not exist.
An agnostic believes that there is not enough evidence to prove anything either way and as such the arguement is irrelevant. No-one will truly know until they die.

Me, I am an avowed agnostic.
I live my life by a set of values and morals that I am comfortable with.
I do not intentionally harm anyone, (unless they deliberately harm me or my loved ones).
I treat everyone with the same respect and dignity that I expect from others, (unless they do not treat me the same way).
I try to help anyone where I can, whether they are more or less fortunate than me.

I believe that if there is a God, he'll recognise that I'm not a bad person and that I've tried to lead a decent, honourable life.
I very much doubt that if he's that omnipotent that he wouldn't be such a great egotist.
If there isn't a God, well, I've lost nothing in trying to be a decent person.

As I said before, it is truly irrelevant if he exists and there is absolutely no proof at all, either for or against, in Gods existence.

[edit on 31-10-2007 by Freeborn]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
An agnostic isn't necessarily a fence sitter. Many agnostics believe there is a God but choose not to try and fit God into a box labeled under some organized religion.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
An agnostic isn't necessarily a fence sitter. Many agnostics believe there is a God but choose not to try and fit God into a box labeled under some organized religion.

wow snowflake took the words right out of my mouth.. i fall under the agnostic category.. i think something or someone is doin' something im just not to sure who it is or what exactly is goin' on..

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
An atheist believes without a doubt that God does not exist.

Not true. We don't see any evidence for a god and assume he does not exist based on the evidence.

Most atheists still understand that there could conceivably be some evidence put forward that shows the existence of such a being, and would re-examine their opinion on the subject should it come in. But we are also fairly reasonably certain that no such evidence will come forth.

For the sake of easy communication we do say things like "there is no god." But we're also rational in most cases and will reexamine the evidence should any real evidence arrive.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Agnosticism is related to knowledge, basically about knowing stuff.

Atheism is related to the non-belief of theistic positions.

A person can be both an atheist and an agnostic. Similarly an individual can both be a theist and an agnostic.

Thus, an agnostic theist would believe that a god exists, but not know so.

And agnostic atheists would not believe a god exists, but not know so.

Most atheists actually fall into this postion, even Dawkins. Hence, Dawkins is almost certain that gods do not exist, but he doesn't know so.

You could further separate agnosticism into weak and strong. I assume this would involve making strong claims about never being able to know about gods/godesses.

You could also be an ignostic. Here you would basically say, I don't know what the h£ll you mean by god, so how can I reject, accept, or know about such a thing. Which I think has some merit.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I believe that there is a chance that God exists.
I also believe that if he does then "he" won't be such an egotistical entity that demands constant worship and that "he" won't judge me on my faith but in my acts and deeds.
I feel no compunction to live my life by a set of values that I don't believe in just because someone else's interpretation of "his" wishes demands that I do.

I also have yet to see any evidence either way to prove or disprove "his" existence.

It is therefore irrelevant to me if God exists or not.
I will continue to live my life in accordance to the values and standards that I set myself.

Therefore I am agnostic.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Gnosticism relates to possession of knowledge.

Agosticism relates to the lack of knowledge.

I have no knowledge of Gods existence therefore I am Agnostic.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Gnosticism relates to possession of knowledge.

Agosticism relates to the lack of knowledge.

I have no knowledge of Gods existence therefore I am Agnostic.

Not saying I disagree with you, however if this is the definition of Agnosticism then absolutely every person on Earth is Agnostic as there is not one single induvidual whom has knolwedge of God's existance or non-existance. In which case the term Agnostic is rather a redundant and meaningless one.

I also feel I need to point out that having deluded your self into beliving you know God exists does NOT equal true knowledge. It is simply a delusion (mental illness).

new topics

top topics

join