It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Devestating hole in Internet Explorer could be unfixable.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

The possibilities are endless, and since both spoof issues appear to be unfixable, it must surely place a big question mark over Explorer�s viability as a browser.

All in all, it does not look good. Not good at all.

The hole is simple. You click a link to download a .jpg, .pdf, etc... and what you could get is an executable html document that could contain a virus.

The problem is massive and it seems the hole may not be able to be resolved leading to the extinction of Internet Explorer.

However what is more worrying is that this hole could easily be combined with another Explorer spoofing problem discovered in December.

The previous spoofing problem allowed Explorer users to think they were visiting one site when in fact they were visiting somewhere entirely different. The implications are not only troublesome, but Microsoft�s failure to include a fix for the problem in its January patches has led many to believe it cannot be prevented.

If the same is true for this spoofing issue, then it will only be a matter of time before someone who thinks they are visiting one website and downloading one file will in fact be visiting somewhere entirely different and downloading whatever that site�s owner decides.

Article Here................

Previous Internet hole that is still un patched

Here is a Demo of the Hole........

[Edited on 28-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Oh we could only hope. Microsoft's use of explorer is so shady! You MUST have it on your computer if you're running Windows.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I made a demo of one flaw just for kicks on my website a while back...it allows a person to place a .hta file anywhere on your computer simply by visiting a web site. It ran through activeX, but setting internet explorer security to higher than low blocked it. There are probably other holes in the browser we have yet to find

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
WOW....this is going to get serious with the popularity of IE.

Spoofing is going to have to be addressed in some fashion.

I did the test with IE6 and , yes , it happens !

I wonder if Netscape has a similar vulnerability?

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is another example of why I would like to avoid Microsoft in the future. Instead of releasing solid software, they do half-ass jobs and then either make patches to fix their buggy undertested product, or create a new version that we have to buy.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
See, the problem is IE will still be a very popular browser. It comes with every Windows OS. If you want another, you have to download it...through IE. Many cost money now...Plus, the general masses fear installing new software, especially off of the internet. No, Microsoft's unfair business practices win again...

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I will be sticking to Linux once I install the new hardware on my other computer.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Downloading a new browser isint that risky, as long as you stick to places like mozilla.org, opera.com, or for the linux buffs sourceforge.net. If there are md5 sums of the file you are downloading, check them to make sure the file hasnt been tampered with. I personally detest IE for its lack of tabbed browsing and how suceptible it is to holes. Maybe in a few years SuSE and Novell will unseat MS as the major desktop OS
They already are pressing on RedHat very hard for the top spot distro. As for

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
"Lindows" is making some progress, and coming packaged with some computers. It is a step towards the wrong direction.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
"Lindows" is making some progress, and coming packaged with some computers. It is a step towards the wrong direction.

I couldnt have put it better myself. Every single person who i know that has tried it, says its the worst of both worlds and buggy beyond belief. A few more years of development of Wine (windows emulator) and the need to boot into windows on a dual boot machine will be non-existant.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It's microsoft of course it's gonna have problems! For example: Windows XP= extra problems

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Seems like every other day you hear about a new vaulnerability in a MS product.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Explorer is the slowest, least secure, and least stable browser for the PC. The only reason not to switch is that you didn't know you could.

Of all the browsers that are available the ones that really stand out are:

Mozilla Firebird

Mozilla

Opera

All are free, but there is a banner ad with Opera unless you pay and register.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I use Opera most of the time, or Netscape. I hate IE, always have.

top topics

join