It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi dam 'at risk of collapse'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Iraqi dam 'at risk of collapse'

news.bbc.co.uk

The largest dam in Iraq is at risk of an imminent collapse that could unleash a 20m (65ft) wave of water on Mosul, a city of 1.7m people, the US has warned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
All of the billions of $$'s invested in so called reconstruction withing Iraq and they didn't think to invest any of it in something that could potentialy save huge numbers of lives? I guess it was just more important to keep the Haliburton stockholders happy and give their directors an improved bonus?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
The largest dam in Iraq is at risk of an imminent collapse that could unleash a 20m (65ft) wave of water on Mosul, a city of 1.7m people, the US has warned

d00d that is so cool. Well not for the Iraqi's but it sure as hell might help stop those insurgents for a while in that city, lol. It might just stop anyone in that city for a while. Well. Depopulation has to start somewhere. lol.

Im sorry i sound so mean and inconsiderate. I'm sure to be devasted though if it does actually happen. But when it does, at least it'll sure as hell be a huge news story...

[edit on 30-10-2007 by DaRAGE]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
in the name of politeness i will re-edit what i put - i rather strongly disagree with the above poster and the blatent disregard for human life.

[edit on 30/10/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

wow i didnt know there were people on this forum
with such a fudged up mind thinking the pottential death of half a million people is so cool, you people are just as bad as the fantics that call for death to america and the west.

on topic
seeing as the US and our goverment in the UK didnt plan for anything post war, things like this are bound to happen. sick but acceptible to some as shown by the above poster (above Harlequin)

atleast the pockets of the people who have shares in this war will still have deep pockets for their blood money

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

WOuldnt you know.. a big wave of water.. that kills Thousands(?) or evacuates a city.. make it EASIER for insurgents to gain access to ... weapons/money/anything in a building that they want ot go and steal....

and it would cause CHOAS ... even more than now.. lol

and think about it... No matter who it is... Iraqi American Canadian European Russian Austrailian or any other countrian i forgot.... they don't deserve to have Thousands (?) of people DIE due to a faulty danmn..

i believe your post IS VERY immature...

(sorry if i was not polite in any way.. ive had a long day.. if anyone would like me to reword ANYTHING in my thread i will do my best to try just U2U me..)

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Most of the money that has been spend in Iraq has gone down the giant sink hole known as corruption or been spend on fighting the war itself. The other main concern should be security with the enemy under real pressure for the first time the Dam could become a target as the various insurgent groups look to adapted there tactics to the changing strategic situation.

It might even be better to demolish the dam when water levels are low and start reconstruction a fresh.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Originally posted by DaRAGE

d00d that is so cool. Well not for the Iraqi's but it sure as hell might help stop those insurgents for a while in that city, lol. It might just stop anyone in that city for a while. Well. Depopulation has to start somewhere. lol.

That is so cool? Well not for the Iraqi's? But it sure as hell might stop those those insurgents?

DeRAGE, let me respectfully sugges that you do not know what is going on is Iraq. Insurgents are Iraqi's. We are there stealing their oil and they want us out. So you want to drown them? What can you be thinking?

"Depopulation has to start somewhere?" It does? Do you mind if we start with you? What can you be thinking about?

Let me respectfully suggest that you don't have the slightest idea what is going on here on planet earth.

Im sorry i sound so mean and inconsiderate. I'm sure to be devasted though if it does actually happen. But when it does, at least it'll sure as hell be a huge news story...

Let me respectfully suggest that I am embarrassed for you and your post DeRAGE.

I'm not sure if I genuinely appreciate your post.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This is great news for the contractors, now they get to rebuild a dam and a whole city!

I betcha something makes it fall soon. they are just putting this out in the open so no one will scream it was done on purpose, they have established it as a problem ahead of time so if and when it does fall, regardless of how, they will have a legit excuse.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Im more interested in why we've publically admitting this structure is so vulnerable and or weak?

I wonder what % of mosul and surrounds is Sunni?... or anti-Iranian?

Maybe its not Americans whom are going to be convinced to strike Iran with a black op, maybe we're going to use the Iraqi's to fight the war for us.

all we need to do is convince them Iran is responsible for **** events.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Im more interested in why we've publically admitting this structure is so vulnerable and or weak?

From the source .

The dam has been a problem for Iraqi engineers since it was constructed in 1984.

It was built on water-soluble gypsum, which caused seepage within months of its completion and led investigators to describe the site as "fundamentally flawed".

It would seem that the problems with the Dam were already well known. Clearly this isnt a case of the media leaking details that should remain secret for security reasons.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
So?
I dont imagine every joe knew this just of the top of his head..
likewise.. when your dodging american, sunni, shiite, alqaeda and all the other nationalities bullets, bombs and missiles...
you probably lose track.

I look at this more as a 'refresher' in potentially catastrophic aspects of terror, than the iraqi's duley noting that the dam needs repairs.

They obviously knew about it, and are working on it, so why bother telling people?
Fear maybe?

I mean, if we discovered the walls around the greenzone were seriously weak in a certain area, we wouldnt advise it to the public while we were discussing idea's to fix it .. would we?

that sort of thing would be a terrorists fantasy!

[edit on 31-10-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I suspects that the locals would have some inkling about the dams problems . People generally know about the infrastructure in there area including roads so at some point word about the dam would have gotten out. Otherwise Agit8dChop I would normally agree with you.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
wow i didnt know there were people on this forum
with such a fudged up mind thinking the pottential death of half a million people is so cool, you people are just as bad as the fantics that call for death to america and the west.

d00d, its 1.7 million potential iraqi's first off. Not half a million but 1.7 million. Secondly when i heard about the tsanami that ripped through indonesia and the pacific region, i didn't shed a tear. I've lost my empathy for people half way around the world that i dont even know. I was brought up watching tv containing wars, murders, corruption, suicide bombers etc on the news as many people have. But to be quite honest with you, I wont shed a tear for people when they die, but i go on laughing and just say to myself, well, thats the end of them. Either thats it, they are gone forever, or they are off in some spiritual world doing whatever, or getting reincarnated or something. Life moves on or it dont. People gotta die some day. Lifes cruel.

Originally posted by johnlear
""Depopulation has to start somewhere?" It does? Do you mind if we start with you? What can you be thinking about?"

If thinking on the bright side of life. Sure if a 20 meter wall of water was heading my way by all means have a laugh at my expense. As far as im concerned the rest of the world can kill themselves, just as long as australia stays fine.

Originally posted by Sad Lil Alex
"and think about it... No matter who it is... Iraqi American Canadian European Russian Austrailian or any other countrian i forgot.... they don't deserve to have Thousands (?) of people DIE due to a faulty danmn.. "

Of course not but if its going to happen and its not happening to you, why not have a laugh about it instead of having a cry. I dont know about you but i believe in an afterlife, so whether they live or die makes no difference to me. Of cours its not nice to die due to a faulty dam. It should definately be fixed. I'm sure it wont break and they will be fine.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Report: Iraq dam could collapse, kill 500,000

The USA removed Saddam and his infrastructure. Doesnt the USA have an obligation to replace the infrastructure that they removed? Not just the hardware such as roads etc., but the people, procedures, and inspections to make sure disaster's like this can be avoided.

If this happens while the USA is in control and 500,000 die, it will be a PR disaster, not to mention the humanitarian one. We couldnt handle Katrina recovery and evacuations, I think there is little to no hope that we can appropriately prepare for this dam breaking.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

the US does and so does britain as we played a hand in this invasion
if this does happen the blood is on the hands of both countries,

wont bother with derage, i wouldnt just laugh at his expense if it was just water, a stray bullet or anything else would still make me laugh
seeing as he has no consideration for human life,

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
According to the article" 27 million US funded reconstruction project to help shore up the dam", SIGR found multiple failures in several of the 21 contracts awarded to repair the dam". Who are the contractors? Apparently it is serious," the Corps later told US commanders to move their equipment away from the Mosul flood pain". The rest of the article basically explains that the measures are only stopgap and how are concrete retainers going to stop the erosion of a water soluble foundation? Sounds like the same logic applied to the levees in New Orleans where they didn't think the worse case scenario could happen. An evacuation plan for that many people would be a nightmare considering who is in that city faction wise. Its too late to say that the dam shouldn't have been built there but the river was there before Mosul was and I'm assuming this is a hydro dam. Maybe the money would be better spent on a nuclear eactor for power generation "sarcasm". I just hope it doesn't let go. Thankyou.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

[sarcasm]Wow, over a million people dieing, that is most likely the most cool thing I've ever seen in my live'. I like people dieing.[/sarcasm]

d00d, its 1.7 million potential iraqi's first off. Not half a million but 1.7 million. Secondly when i heard about the tsanami that ripped through indonesia and the pacific region, i didn't shed a tear. I've lost my empathy for people half way around the world that i dont even know. I was brought up watching tv containing wars, murders, corruption, suicide bombers etc on the news as many people have. But to be quite honest with you, I wont shed a tear for people when they die, but i go on laughing and just say to myself, well, thats the end of them. Either thats it, they are gone forever, or they are off in some spiritual world doing whatever, or getting reincarnated or something. Life moves on or it dont. People gotta die some day. Lifes cruel.

And that SOMEHOW makes it COOL for people to die?

Ignored.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Wow, dam.

I hope it doesn't come down.

Although, if one wanted to cause chaos in the region, it looks like they just got a nice target.

I hope that they are guarding this stucture with the upmost care...

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
Report: Iraq dam could collapse, kill 500,000

The USA removed Saddam and his infrastructure. Doesnt the USA have an obligation to replace the infrastructure that they removed? Not just the hardware such as roads etc., but the people, procedures, and inspections to make sure disaster's like this can be avoided.

I wouldn't have batted an eye at this if it hadn't struck me as a little funny. The problem is that the West doesn't work like the East does. It's been the trouble all along - we're not working well with them because we can't understand them and they can't understand us. Obligation? Sure. Is it going to happen, EVER? Not IMO.

If this happens while the USA is in control and 500,000 die, it will be a PR disaster, not to mention the humanitarian one. We couldnt handle Katrina recovery and evacuations, I think there is little to no hope that we can appropriately prepare for this dam breaking.

I can only hope that if the worst case does occur, the people of Iraq won't act like the idiots of New Orleans. I firmly believe that they had a hand in the failures of the government by being ignorant and selfish. Remember, half the cops just disappeared and people were raping and killing each other in the Superdome, in front of other people!

I'm sure the Corps of Engineers does its best. And I echo the hope that this dam is being guarded vigilantly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join