It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Community-Associated (CA)-MRSA, antibiotic resistant staph infection,

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
And that my friend is the definition of a carrier well done!

Unless microbiology has changed in the past 25 years then S aureus is still found where S aureus has always been found and so by definition carried by humans and also be definition some of these will be MRSA. This merely refers to what the bug is resistant to as a means of characterisation.
People are confusing infectious with the results of "opportunistic pathogenicity", they are not the same category but have the same (in gross terms) net effect.i.e an infection.

In the UK a fair percentage of all nosocomial infections (hospital acquired) may in fact be identified as being initiated in hospital, but are in fact given to the poor infected person by the visit of auntie Dorris or uncle Bert. Not necessarily by the hospital staff.

Washing hand of course helps, cleaning floors helps, in fact generally speaking removing bacteria is far preferable to eliminating them through the use of gross poisons or toxins.

Disinfection is or was my area of specific expertise and an area I both studied and worked in actively for many years. We have not yet seen the walnut resistant to the sledgehammer (bugs and disinfectants) but unless we start using these technologies more wisely and soon -we will. Now that is a time to be worried, MRSA will be as nothing compared to what may /will happen then.

Enjoy.....

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I know about MRSA colonizing in noses, and I know the human body is a carrier for damn near every virus and bacteria imaginable, I was responding the fact that someone being diagnosed as a carrier for MRSA is absurd, and I have never heard of it. Being diagnosed as a carrier for an bacterium would be like saying deer are a carrier for ticks.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
No problem, however you are using "diagnosed" and carrier in the same sentence as if they have a joint or linked meaning and they don't.
People may be tested and or confirmed or cleared of being a carrier but diagnosed is a phrase used to describe the illucidation of a disease state and carrier is not a disease state as there is no disease if you are a carrier, that is the whole point!
As a point of interest there are more bacterial cells on you and in you than mamalian cells that make up the entire human body. So what you say is correct, the breadth of human commensal flora (naturally non pathogenic - in most cases) is enormous, and normally totally harmless.

There are some individuals however who "carry" nasties on them and in them to no ill effect for themselves. I myself carry beta haemolytic streptococci, the fact of which I discovered in a microbiology practical at Universtity many years ago.

Discovered to be a carrier is a much more accurate phrase, diagnosis is the wrong word in the wrong context.

By the way I hope your research is successful, good luck......

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I guess I was just taking it out of context. I have never heard of someone being told they are a carrier of MRSA before.

I have, and personally know someone who had it colonize in their nose and had no infection.

I think the OP was trying to get at the fact he would be contagious to his patients because he was a carrier of MRSA, which would be impossible, in many ways.

As far as my research, I am done with that project now and onto more 'nasty' things.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
You should know that medical professionals who are discovered to be MRSA carriers in the UK have to undergo specific treatment regimes to rid them of it before they can return to routine duties.
Imagine an MRSA carrier on a surgical recovery ward... Ooops......

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
In case this has not been posted yet:

Blue light kills mrsa
blue light

"Blue Light Kills MRSA
Blue Light -- Without UV -- Kills Drug-Resistant Staph Superbug
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDFeb. 4, 2009 -- Blue light -- not including dangerous UV frequencies -- kills MRSA, the multidrug-resistant staph superbug.

The finding comes from Chukuka S. Enwemeka, PhD, and colleagues at New York Institute of Technology. Their study was funded by Dynatronics Corp., which makes the blue-light device used in the study."

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Uh, there is treatment for MRSA....

Vancomycin is one of the few antibiotics still effective against hospital strains of MRSA infection, although the drug is no longer effective in every case. Several drugs continue to work against CA-MRSA, but CA-MRSA is a rapidly evolving bacterium, and it may be a matter of time before it, too, becomes resistant to most antibiotics.
People need to calm down

for persons who have allergy to the approved treatments... alternative medicine is possible to clear MRSA. I had a staph infection and began taking Oregano Oil tablets and it corrected the staph infection AND an e.coli stomach infection also that had been bothering me. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to conventional medications and whatever the crappy unusual side effects are - I will have them. However, within a week on oregano oil the staph infection cleared up and the e.coli also. Just an FYI. I just followed the instructions for the tablet form for daily dosage. Also, I read up that using tea tree oil solution (you would have to research but I think it was 1 part tea tree to 5 or 10 parts carrier oil) for wounds that are not deep.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I'm jumping on the 'carrier' thread here; my fiance was diagnosed with MRSA after a hospital stay last June but after his lesions cleared up he's had no re-occurrence of his. About 3 weeks ago, I went to bed with an open wound/burn on my leg (didn't think to cover it since our household had been free of MRSA for months)... my wound continued to worsen with redness, swelling and my wound got uglier... went to the dr who gave me an antibiotic which didn't work, back again, different antibiotic and a culture and today a 3rd antibiotic and told it was MRSA.

I originally asked what the probability was that someone who had no active case of MRSA could transfer and she said 'rare' but I'm guessing mine came from him contact with him.

Maybe it wasn't from him but seems too coincidental. Anyone found any homeopathic remedies that help with the pain?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Look up on using Tea Tree Oil solution on google. I am not sure of the 1 part tea tree oil to whatever part carrier oil. Also, check with your doctor as it may not be recommended for deep sores.

Try taking oregano oil (oil pills) to see if it will help. Look up "natural or alternative antiseptic or antibacterial properties".

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
MRSA is being used to murder people just look at my true story of the war on terror.. am denied antibiotics for my MRSA while our government and there families make money with my intellectual property.. the true story of the war on terror.....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
MRSA could be used to do mass murder of people who have something another group wants....

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
MRSA isn't a big threat as of now ....the Drug of Choice was considered to be Vancomycin ...now we have Vancomycin resistant SA ....but we have some drugs like linezolid , quinepristine daflopristine that are very effective against the bug ...i think there are far more dangerous infections that should be addressed ... for example TB , Malaria ....rather than MRSA ...the MRSA is basically a campaign by some pharma companies to sell their rarely prescribed drugs. You need to be a really bad doctor to let your patient die of MRSA.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Ayn ended up dying from an antibiotic staph infection.

She was a pygmy goat and got an infection on her ear that went systemic despite penicillin, tetracycline, a sulpha drug and everything else the vet threw at the infection. Nothing worked. We had a necropsy done to determine cause of death and it was an antibiotic resistant staph infection

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Forgive me if the stuff I write here has been covered as I didn't read all of the replies here. Nevertheless, I felt I should add my 2 cents having only recently left a lab where I was working on synthesising a sugar based vaccine against S aureus.

Staphylococcus aureus is (and has been for a little while now) one of the most prevalent etiological agents for a wide array of infectious diseases. These afflictions may range from nosicomal infections (mentioned already I think), such as urinary tract infections, endocarditis and pneumonia, to other non-human diseases such as ruminant mastitis. Methicillin and multidrug resistance in S. aureus is fast becoming a common sight in infected patients. As such, the requirement for additional control tactics such as vaccines is becoming increasingly necessary. Unfortunately, host relation and the mechanisms contributing to pathogenesis of S. aureus infection is a mostly not well defined, complex and multifarious process, the clinical presentations of such often varying between patients. Furthermore, many staphylococcal products have redundant functions. Thus, if one of these compounds were to be targeted in the production of a vaccine and thereby be eliminated, its loss may be easily recompensed for by other molecules boasting the same functionality.

One step in the development of S. aureus virulence that has more recently become of interest is in the genesis of biofilms, also referred to as ‘slime.' Subsequent to their initial formation, these biofilms undergo a series of distinct phenotypic modifications, with the mature biofilm consisting of a sessile collective of cells embedded within a matrix of extracellular DNA, proteins and polysaccharides. An unfortunate consequence that is known to arise from the establishment of these communities is that they posses an inherently increased protection against host-mediated AB-independent phagocytosis, and can help facilitate resistance to a diverse range of antibiotics.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

The superbugs that overcome (or even eat ) our antibiotics drift down from the upper atmosphere on dust particles from burned - up meteorites of the Perseid Meteor Shower after August 12-13 of every year just two weeks before schools and colleges open up for the Fall Semester. Pneumonia is from this meteor shower which used to be a comet ( a dirty snowball in space containing all sorts of photochemically synthesized biochemicals which become aminoacids as this stream of micrometeorites orbit the sun. This Perseid meteor Shower is when the earth intercepts this "ring" of particles around the sun. Back in the 1950s and 1960s this seasonal outbreak was just expected in the Fall. But , presently this movement of huge populations into smaller spaces as compared to Summer Recess "space" amplifies the outbreak of i.e. Lyme Disease from outerspace( it's not bacteria alone that mutate inside the body-it's bacteria mutated in outer space( or even brought from another planet that was pulverized sometime in the past). So, we have to fight a completely new bacterium each year that enters a body already having living ,dormant bacteria from previous infections making a resistant -to -antibiotic bacterium.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Vancomycin is one of the few antibiotics still effective against hospital strains of MRSA infection, although the drug is no longer effective in every case. Several drugs continue to work against CA-MRSA, but CA-MRSA is a rapidly evolving bacterium, and it may be a matter of time before it, too, becomes resistant to most antibiotics.
People need to calm down

Yes Vanc will work against MRSA...but......

What about VRSA? The super bug that is Vanc resistant?

Vancomycin resistant Staph Aureus. [ VRSA ] This one is resistant to Vanc.

DH

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope

People need to calm down

Yes Vanc will work against MRSA...but......

What about VRSA? The super bug that is Vanc resistant?

Vancomycin resistant Staph Aureus. [ VRSA ] This one is resistant to Vanc.

DH

Typically, Vancomycin is very much a last resort as far as drugs go. It's only used when other antibiotics or other forms of treatment fail. It's fairly toxic to the kidneys, if I'm not mistaken.

There's a huge push to develop alternative methods of targeting and eliminating S aureus infections, as I mentioned in my first post. There's a lot of work in vaccines that are looking quite promising, though there isn't anything available at the moment.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Well, from what Im hearing lately, they are just summing them all up as a staph infection that is constantly mutating and less MRSA or VRSA. Makes sense I suppose.

My sons best friend came down with what they believed to be some virus affecting his adnoids. In 5 days he was sent to Childrens Mercy because of a staph infection in his lungs. That caused the infection to spread through every organ in his body. He was there for 6 weeks. That child put up one heck of a fight, and is now out and doing well. Still not 100% but doing well.

I hope this doesnt become more common.

Thank you everyone for keeping this thread up to date with all the information you have.
edit on 4-12-2011 by mrsdudara because: grammatical error

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The truth is that many of today’s viruses, bacteria and parasites are becoming immune to modern day medicine.
What has work, and what always will work is the back to the pre 1940's approach of dealing with these bugs and infestations and that is: Colloidal Silver, but NOT just any colloidal silver will do.

You have to have colloidal silver in atomic size particles, which is extremely hard to accomplish. But has been done.

Colloidal Silver atoms comes in 3000 to 15000 PPM.

Here are two examples of what it can do:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

So in order to kill Staph, MRSA, and even HIV you have to have atomic size particles of the well know bacterial killer: Silver.

Silver has been used since the Time of the pharaohs to kill bugs from the water that they drew from the nile, and or from wells.

The first used silver vessels, placed the water in the silver vessels let sit for a few hours and the water would be rendered safe to drink or cook with.

Silver was used prior to 1940's consistently to deal with bacterial infections, as so stated in medicinal books.

Why has modern pharmacology forgotten about this powerful, and time proven viruses killer, the answer is that they have not, but they dropped it because it was no longer patentable, and new antibiotics that were patentable replaced it in the 1940's.

So, the answer to germ warfare, man made viruses, and or mutations of viruses is in Silver.... atomic size particles of silver.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Professor Dumbledore

First I have to say I love your username, I'm a complete Harry Potter geek. I kind of feel like we're in book five now sometimes, ha

You're completely right. You seem farther along in your studies of biology etc than myself but I have an interesting personal story. My great-aunt had 7 kids, so if one of them came home with some bug it would be hell for her... but her solution was to keep a giant jar of penicillin, and if you so much had a sniffle she made my cousins take one! 2 of them had such bad yeast build up later in life they needed help conceiving a kid. And yeah people have no idea how important it is to finish the cycle of antibiotics, you'll need a stronger one next time and as we are seeing this situation could end up nasty

Thank you for the info OP, I actually have a weird spot I'll be sure to keep an eye on :/ right after my health insurance is gone for awhile too... lovely...

And everyone take their vitamin C and Echinacea

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join