posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:10 PM
You know, the problem is is that bacteria are becoming immune to antibiotics through natural selection, and this is because we are in a society that
is "overprescribing" medications, and the people are failing to take all of their meds.
What I mean is that bacteria, if exposed to the medication, begin to become resistant to the drug by natural selection (those bacteria that survive
because they have a gene that codes for an enzyme to break down the antibiotic survive and produce offspring that are also "immune" to the drug),
and if they are not all killed (because someone forgot to take all the recommended amounts of medication from his physician), they just keep leaving
generations that are invincible against the drug; thereby increasing the population size that are resistant to the drug and rendering some medications
useless. It has happened. Natural penicillin that was founded years and years ago was used A LOT for common bacterial infections. With the
overprescribing of the medication, today it is hardly useful at all in its natural state.
We recently did an experiment in my biology course in which we made weakened strains of E. coli resistant to ampicillin. My colonies turned out well.
But the point is, this just goes to show how bacteria can become resistant to drugs. Had we not overprescribed on drugs, and had the people taken all
the recommended amount of drugs to completely kill all colonies of bacteria, we wouldn't have such problematic epidemics today.