It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Community-Associated (CA)-MRSA, antibiotic resistant staph infection,

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
CDC - Community- Associated MRSA Information for the Public

Recently, the news has been filled with information and reports of the new “Superbug”, Community-Associated (CA)- MRSA. An antibiotic resistant staph infection that seems to be spreading like wildfire. Today, my children came home with notes in their bag informing all parents of this new concern, along with an invitation to a district wide meeting with a Dr. to go over any concerns, and all preventative measures that we as parents can take to keep us all healthy. I am located in Missouri, right smack dab in the middle of the country. If it is here, it is everywhere. It is a concern that everyone especially those here on ATS have been talking about. I remembered reading about and discussing this very thing over the past few years, here on ATS. So far, I have found threads discussing this “Superbug” dateing as far back as 2004. I started this thread to have a place that links them all together for any and all who are searching for information on this new threat.

If you are just now hearing about CA-MRSA, it is a staph infection that is resistant to all first line antibiotics. It affects people of all ages, healthy or not. It is a nasty infection that can turn lethal quite rapidly. It is suggested that if you suspect you have CA-MRSA you see your DR. immediately. If the medication they give you does not start to work with in 2 days, it is imperative that you return to your Dr. immediately. The link at the top of this page is quite informative, and I highly suggest everyone to take a look.

I would also like to keep this thread as a record of where all it is affecting . If you have heard of people in your area who have CA-MRSA, please let us know so that others in your area who might read this can be aware.

Here is a list I have put together so far, of threads here on ATS that hare discussed CA-MRSA. I will add more when I find them.

Pandemic Watch 2007

The Evolution Current Event Thread has this link to a 2004 article on about MRSA New Scientist

is this the new terrorist biological weapon

Super bug “MRSA” Now Transmitted Sexually

Superbug Epidemic in US - Now threatening Canada

CDC warns Superbug could kill more than AIDS

[edit on 29-10-2007 by mrsdudara]

[edit on 29-10-2007 by mrsdudara]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
New strain of Staph called ‘Super bug’ By Aaron_Justin 6-25-2007

21 Schools closed after teen dies of staph By Modern Academia 10-16-2007

Staph infections from Florida waters By jrod 10-22-2003

Staph Infections Super bug By RedGolem 6-25-2007

That’s No Spider Bite: Antibiotic Staph Infections Now Very Common By loam 8-16-2006

Staph Infections Spreading By MJW2314 9-29-2004

Staph Strain Infects More Healthy People By FredT 9-29-2004

Superbug Germ kills 3 in Chicago By dgtempe 9-22-2005

Hey, That’s not a spider bite. It may be a dangerous widely spreading staph infection! By lombozo 8-17-2006

MRS Super bug By Marky 12-16-2004

SCI/TECH: Evolution Before Our Eyes: Super Bacteria By SkepticOverlord 3-2-2004

Flesh-eating germ kills woman in 3 days By airtrax007 3-10-2006

A “wart” gone wrong… By OkamiZaku 6-1-2007

Dirty Money Just Got Dirtier By WyrdeOne 9-2-2005

MRSA Breakout By Tom_Proctor 10-19-2007

New Superbug confounds doctors By Kelter 9-30-2004

Superbug Brought Back By Iraq War Casualties By JohnnyAnonymous 11-8-2006

EDIT: to add names and dates
[edit on 30-10-2007 by mrsdudara]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I can't believe there is not one single reply or flag on this thread. The news reports just keep piling in about MRSA.

We all need to keep an eye on this outbreak, something is up for sure.

Boston School Shuts down for MRSA

School custodians across the region are stepping up cleaning efforts in their battle to keep buildings well scrubbed, sanitized, and free from an antibiotic-resistant strain of staphylococcus that is showing up in classrooms.

Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus - known as MRSA - has been reported in a handful of schools south of Boston, with the most recent case last week. The outbreak prompted administrators to take preventive measures against the potentially dangerous bacterial infection, which is far more common in nursing homes and hospitals.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Thank you Realtruth. I feel it is very important. This was in our local news paper today

For those of you in the Kansas City, Missouri metro area:
The Examiner

Area school districts with incidences of staph infections include Independence, Lee's Summit, North Kansas City, Richmond, Piper and Shawnee Mission.

If you hear of it in a certain area, please post it. You never know if there is an ATS reader in that area who has not heard of it.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There ARE first line antibiotics that affect MRSA and CA-MRSA, it's just that the B-lactam, and other antibiotics, which many are, don't affect it nearly as well as they affect most other bacterial infections. Combinations of antibiotics appear to be the best treatment for any MRSA infection right now.

CA-MRSA has been around for 20 years or more, it's just that it's becoming more common now. The CA-MRSA isn't what kills, it's when it combines with sepsis or pneumonia, or with PVL, which causes significant tissue destruction and illness.

CA-MRSA is what they call SCCmec Type IV, which is resistant to B-lactam antibiotics but generally not resistant to multiple types of antibiotics like HA-MRSA. Some CA-MRSA can also carry genes that include resistance to erythromycin and potentially clindamycin.

I'm not trying to say that CA-MRSA isn't deadly, or that it's not dangerous if you catch it. But it's not the super deadly killer that's going to wipe out massive sections of population.

www.infectiousdiseasenews.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Zaphod58, I understand that there are many things that can prevent CA-MRSA from becoming deadly. One of my concerns is people letting it go for too long. To be perfectly blunt, the economy sucks right now. Many people are not spending the money to go to the Dr. unless they or their kids have a serious problem, like pneumonia, sepsis, etc. A relative of ours let his go - not long mind you - but ended up having his knee operated on and the infection washed out. He was in so much pain. I would hate to think of that happening to a child. It is spreading like wild fire. I think that it is important to stress if you even think you or your child has it, you go to the Dr. and get the necessary antibiotics. Treating it sounds easy enough, but I do worry about those who just dont have the funds to go to the Dr..

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Here is another one.

Staph Infections.......MRSA cases growing By BlackProjects

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Excellent thread

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Uh, there is treatment for MRSA....

Vancomycin is one of the few antibiotics still effective against hospital strains of MRSA infection, although the drug is no longer effective in every case. Several drugs continue to work against CA-MRSA, but CA-MRSA is a rapidly evolving bacterium, and it may be a matter of time before it, too, becomes resistant to most antibiotics.
People need to calm down

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Good news on the fight against Deadly Staph Infections (MRSA)...

ScienceDaily (Dec. 4, 2007) — One type of over-the-counter product for topical wound care is more effective than others in killing methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, or MRSA, which is potentially deadly and in recent years has moved from its historic hospital setting to a much broader public concern.

Science News

Soap and water is still the best medicine for keeping cuts, scrapes, and minor wounds from getting infected. However, scientists at OSU compared three types of antibacterial compounds to determine which one was more effective at treating four strains of MRSA. The study found the benzethonium chloride product killed the MRSA bacteria more rapidly, and was effective against all four strains tested.

The article notes that the compound is not a "cure" in itself but rather greatly reduces the amount of bacteria. Generally it takes a large number of bacteria to produce an infection.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Jim Humble's MMS appears to be very effective against this also.

www.miraclemineral.org.

download the free ebook which is very interesting and MMS is broad spectrum too.

It is also very cheap and do it yourself.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by esecallum]

[edit on 12-12-2007 by esecallum]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You know, the problem is is that bacteria are becoming immune to antibiotics through natural selection, and this is because we are in a society that is "overprescribing" medications, and the people are failing to take all of their meds.

What I mean is that bacteria, if exposed to the medication, begin to become resistant to the drug by natural selection (those bacteria that survive because they have a gene that codes for an enzyme to break down the antibiotic survive and produce offspring that are also "immune" to the drug), and if they are not all killed (because someone forgot to take all the recommended amounts of medication from his physician), they just keep leaving generations that are invincible against the drug; thereby increasing the population size that are resistant to the drug and rendering some medications useless. It has happened. Natural penicillin that was founded years and years ago was used A LOT for common bacterial infections. With the overprescribing of the medication, today it is hardly useful at all in its natural state.

We recently did an experiment in my biology course in which we made weakened strains of E. coli resistant to ampicillin. My colonies turned out well. But the point is, this just goes to show how bacteria can become resistant to drugs. Had we not overprescribed on drugs, and had the people taken all the recommended amount of drugs to completely kill all colonies of bacteria, we wouldn't have such problematic epidemics today.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Professor, you are correct. I do not think Dr.'s are all to blame though. Since day one, I have been very clear with all my Dr.'s on how I feel about medication. I dont want them medicated unless they absoultly need it. I asked question after question. They admitted several times that antibiotics for this or that would only have them kick what ever it was a few days earlier. They told me about how things were becoming resitant to antibiotics and why 11 years ago. I usually opt for them to heal on their own and ask for advice on how to boost their immune system. I now know several tricks not only for boosting their immune system while they are sick, but to keep from getting sick in the first place.

We did have a bit of a scare here a week ago. My 9 year old boy had a paper cut on his little finger. It was a week old paper cut, so we didnt bother covering it with a bandaid or anything. Thought nothing of it until he woke up and int was twice its normal size, purple, painfull, and his wrist, elbow, and armpit hurt. Because of everything I have read here, I took him directly to the Dr. and had the conversation about "if this antibiotic does not work in two days bring him back immediatly". Luckly it was just a typical infection.

Education is key to everything.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
As i pointed out in my recent thread, oil of oregano is showing great promise in being an effective treatment for almost all types of staph infections.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Why haven't any doctors looked into why MSRA is not resistant to probiotics. I read this article about how doctors in china were taking cordyceps mushrooms during the SARS outbreak to keep them selves from getting it so i thought to my self if it works for that then maby it will work on MSRA. (i work in a hospital where MRSA is unavoidable) I got a blood test and urine test to see if i was a carrier and in deed i was(no symptoms being a carrier). So i started taking the Cordyceps mushroom supplements i ordered at my local herbal store and began taking them for a month and found that a month later i was nolonger a carrier.... it took 6 months after stopping the supplements for the MRSA to return........... How i love chineese medicine!!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I have personally seen what MRSA can do. I worked for a company as a manager and was disturbed when a few employees started having these boils that would not heal. This was before it hit the MSM. These were not your run of the mill pimples. They were large, open, draining wounds. If I knew what I know now, I would have sent them to the doctor as a work related injury, and called the corporate office. That place would have been sanitized, and the employees cared for. I left the company a few months after the infections started appearing...so God only knows what happened.

I found a great website and they discuss MRSA and some alternative healing techniques. www.earthclinic.com

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I dont know what i have, apparently my doctor doesnt either.

I have gone thru 2 separate doses of antibiotics and i have been sick with what feels like a brand new flu for 3 months now.
All my doctor tells me is that this latest strain is "lingering" for several months!

I hope its not this MRSA- although i do know someone who has it but i dont have contact with this person.

If anyone knows what i should do next, by all means, let me know if you have experienced something like this.

Mrs Dudara, this is an awesome thread

Good job!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by the basset hound

Since most of antibiotics are molecules found in nature and "played with" chemically i definitely think that there are natural compounds that can help. However several things are important - antibiotics can kill bacteria, not viruses. SARS is a virus.
Also , probiotics are basically a different bacterias that we all have right now (about 3kgs, i would like to add) and who are neutral to us or even help us get certain nutrients that we cannot. The only way for them to influence "bad" bacteria is to compete with them for food (but usually food is different) or location (which is also usually different). The reason to give antibiotics with probiotica is to replenish those neutral bacterias which are also wiped out by antibiotics.

For MRSA in general - since it is a conspiracy forum, i think that there are firms who hold a "secret" antibiotics for major outbreaks to grab tons of $. But still the only real longterm answer is to regulate antibiotics prescriptions heavier (which might cost lives however) and to "force" pharma companies to invest much heavier in researching antibiotics. It is a long war, and we are loosing ground.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It is so funny you talk about antibiotics, they are commonly over perscribed and when you take them you are also killing off the good stuff in you body which is why if you have ever taken one you most likely have a candida yeast over growth of the colon and why women commonly get yeast infections. As most antibiotics are a derivitive of something found in nature there are other things also found out there that will play the part of the antibiotic and not cause the harm of them(resistance and yeast overgrowths). The conspiracy part of this...........(and i may be going out on a limb but there is an ample amout of evidence to back my claim)...............MRSA is all in your mind you see, if you think it's going to hurt you it will, as it may not help your cause you can live with it peacefully as I do. When you give fight to something seen as bad it becomes stronger as you will give it more of your focus and energy. When you live harmoniously with it, you seem to win by not even fighting with it at all. In this world we live in everything applies to everything, weather it's being fought or living harmoniously together. It's the way you can see Philosophy in medicine and medicine in religion and religion in diets and diets in philosophy. And sure you ask how can diets relate to philosophy? Well "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" thats a philosophic statement.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Actually, MRSA is not so deadly. 85% of the medical staff (Physician, Paramedic, Nurse and patient) have MRSA... The problem is when combined with some disease like COPD, Pneumonia, Big infection, older people and young child, the risk of dying is increase.

But there is no real problem with it, i've seen patient with Pneumony and MRSA and they still living well. It's a combination of factor that will kill you... not only MRSA.. I surely have it and i'm still sleeping well at night.

We should be concern about a lot of other disease than MRSA. Like SRAS and H5N1. Those are really dangerous.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join