It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney Marks Pope for Death?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Always controversial, Vice President Dick Cheney (rumored to be off the 2004 Bush ticket) surpassed new levels in juxtaposition yesterday in first meeting with Pope John Paul II, an ardent Iraqi War opponent, then charging off to pump up the US troops at Aviano Air Base to the tune of "Rocky".

"Yo Lynne, Gonna Fly Now"

Earlier at the Vatican, Cheney and the Pope were said to share a quiet, short, sober exchange of both messages of peace and gifts.

John Paul gave Cheney a set of 20 silver medals with reproductions of masterpieces from the Vatican and presented Lynne Cheney, the vice president's wife, and daughter Liz silver rosaries and medals.

Cheney in return offered the Pope a glass dove, seemingly in the spirit peace, then was off to greet the "Sky Soldiers" of the 173rd Airborne Brigade no more than 15 minutes after receiving a red carpet reception at the Vatican.

AP.org

Beyond the obvious snub of only granting the leader of the Roman Catholic Church a mere 15 minutes to urge increased respect for international law and cooperation, the symbolism of the gifts seems rich. One may conclude that glass, being fragile, is an appropriate medium for conveying the nature of peace. But is that how the spiritual leader was intended to interpret the offering?

Though the traditional symbol of peace is a dove bearing an olive branch, a dove in spirtualism is actually the symbol of the Holy Spirit, crucified and risen. Both pagan and Christian religions use the emerging dove imagery as 'rebirth' (with some showing the dove emerging from a fish, as in the story of Jonah, who's name means "Dove"). The symbol most certainly takes on this meaning of the triumphant Holy Spirit for the Pope as Easter approaches.

But why glass? Surely the US could afford a more precious medium or metal for a gift of this magnitude? So it must have a deeper meaning. At a minimum glass implies fragility, which may certainly be said of Peace, but there's also an implicit warning with glass to handle or tread with care. Is there an implied threat, even tongue in cheek?

Easter, Death, Peace, Fragile... (cough, cough) Shut up already old man!

Not exactly a horse head in the Pope's bed, but it all takes on more meaning if the Pope should expire between now and Easter doesn't it... or for that matter "get on board."

What suits this theory most is the gift the Pope chose for Cheney... 20 some "pieces of silver." I wonder if "Judas" really is leaving the Bush ticket for "health reasons."

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Judas did his deed for thirty pieces of silver. It appears to me you are reading an awful lot into it...

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Who is taking orders from who here anyways?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blacktron
Judas did his deed for thirty pieces of silver. It appears to me you are reading an awful lot into it...

Of course. But if you can't read symbolism into The Pope and religion, you pretty much can't read symbolism.

I don't know exactly how many silver pieces Cheney got. He got 20 and his wife and kid got some. But if you're the Pope, don't you think of these things at all?

Some obvious thought went into Cheney's gift for the Pope, though it's certainly open to interpretation. You think the Pope giving silver pieces is above the possibility of symbolism? I don't know. It's just a strange gift on both sides.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
why must people make something out of nothing?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I guess "deny ignorance" is a lost cause in this thread

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Right, the government and the Vatican just pull gifts out of big bags in the basement. No thought whatsoever goes into them. After all, the Pope and President are up front people, straight shooters through and through... they always say what they mean, and never use allegory or symbolism to make points.

Man, I've never heard such a pragmatic approach to political and papal interpretation.

Anyway, if I was Cheney's daughter Liz(with the public knowing she supports her gay sister Mary), I'd be offended by getting a gift of rosaries from the Pope since that's the tool of prayer for forgiveness. But I guess the Pope didn't mean that either.

So imagining you are Cheney, and just gave your war opponent the Pope a glass dove, and he gave you and your controversial family 20 some (maybe 30) silver pieces and a roseary, you wouldn't even wonder what that means or make any connections? Lucky you.

[Edited on 30-1-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
"I don't know exactly how many silver pieces Cheney got. He got 20 and his wife and kid got some. But if you're the Pope, don't you think of these things at all?"

actually RANT, I don't think the pope thinks about these things. Have you seen the pope lately? I don't think there's much goin' on upstairs.

though I do see your point...

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JuanBond
actually RANT, I don't think the pope thinks about these things. Have you seen the pope lately? I don't think there's much goin' on upstairs.

Then you may be surprised to learn (Dum, dum, DUM!) I am, in fact, THE POPE.

top topics

join