It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Light In Our Sky?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomProctor

Originally posted by ..AuStRaLiA..
i guess u can't see it from australia?

Yep you can. I know a lot of Australian amateur astronomers who have gotten images of it.

oh cool thanks will have a look tonight!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I've been talking about this for a few days now.

Obscure Comet Brightens Suddenly

I've got some good pictures of it too.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Saturn is so light, that if it was small enough it would float in water which makes it more likely for earth to be turned into a sun as its heavier.

The opposite is true. Fusion requires light elements such as the hydrogen and helium which constitute Saturn's atmosphere (although preferably different isotopes thereof). The idea of Earth becoming a star is even more far fetched as even in the cores of the largest hypergiant stars no element heavier than iron can be produced; only supernovas posses the incredible energy required to fuse the heavier elements.

That is not to say that achieving sustainable fusion on Saturn is likely however, for reasons already noted in this thread. I would say the whole idea is absurd, but I still remember the mysterious black spot that appeared on Jupiter shortly after the Galileo probe impacted in 2003 so I'm keeping an open mind.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by sonicology]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think that this comet was blown up. Here is why I think this.

Comets always start ejecting material behind the section that faces the sun. In order for the Holmes comet to look as it does now, it would have to have exploded. I spent about an hour tonight with a telescope looking at the comet.
It currently has the beginings of a tail. The core is off center to the bottom right. The off center amount is not more than 5% from center. The tail formation is starting to get brighter to the top left.

Ejecta in front of the core is 45% or more which should not be possible. Something has to have forced material at a high velocity in order to be that far ahead of the core.
From the reports of the size being larger than Jupiter, which I don't believe, the distance is still far to great from the center to be natural.

Second from studying the image taken 5 days ago of the size compared to the surrounding stars, the comets debris field is now approx 30% larger and is still a sphere.
October 25

October 27

www.spaceweather.com...
With the recent crashing of a probe into a NEO, it is possible this was a military weapons test which was launched months ago from an unknown source.

I would not put it past the military testing what a nuke would do on a comet that has no chance of hitting earth. Now the question is, will parts hit earth now that the comet is broken up?

----------------------------------
URLed pic - stretching page

[edit on 30/10/07 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I live in Southeast Iowa, and I've been looking outside for it everynight, and I just can't seem to find it. If anyone could help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Polaris is the north star, use that as your reference. The comet is visible at sunset.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by robwerden]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This is really awesome, some stories I've read say that this is "proof" that we live in an electric universe. How this is proof, im really not sure and Im not sure if they are sure lol..
In any case, its very interesting..
check it out

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

--------------------------------
URLed pic - stretching page

[edit on 30/10/07 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Could this be the proof that has been sought of the "electric universe"? if it is hollow shells and has neon gases trapped in it could the brightness be due to a neon light effect?: I have not seen any spectral analysis photo's so I don't know it's chemical composition, but it seems plausible, maybe it built up enough static electricity and finally "lit up"

Edit to add, yes I am aware that neon is one of the lighter gases and would dissipate under normal circumstances but with multiple "shells" it's possible

[edit on 30-10-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
its not aliens or the government...

one of the links posted earlier said this..

Comet Holmes flared into visibility on October 24th. What happened was that its tiny, solid nucleus puffed out a huge cloud of dust, and the dust is being lit by sunlight.

At first the dust cloud appeared so small to the unaided eye that it looked like a bright star. Day by day the cloud spread out wider, so that by last weekend the “star” was starting to look like a tiny, round disk. Since then the disk has been getting a bit wider every night, as the dust spreads. Its overall brightness has not changed.
]

[edit on 30-10-2007 by turbokid]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   

some say it will grow to be as big as the moon, hard to imagine, but I'd love to see it.

As big as the moon? Who are the "some" that claim this? I'd think that would be on the major news channels at this point if that is true...and IF it is true, and I see something in the sky as a big as the moon, I will believe 110% beyond a shadow of a doubt that Nibiru has returned.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I felt this picture was absolutely beautiful for some reason. Maybe its the kid pointing to the stars...

Picture from from Oct 29

Page six with pictures from SpaceWeather is up.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Do you mean **gasp** it could be natural???
That just makes too much sense to be true.

How the hell did they ever allow you on this site?

I'm not sure to be honest. I actually do believe in UFO's (I've seen two) AND ghosts (have seen/experienced several things like that I can't explain), and am aware of countless other paranormal phenomena and have a very open mindset and believe anything is possible, but at the same time I can't grasp the mindset that everything is paranormal and has an unusual explanation.

I guess they let me post here because my avatars are cute

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I'm not sure I understand what is going on here...

This comet has been around for over 100 years? Where is it headed?

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebox
I'm not sure I understand what is going on here...

This comet has been around for over 100 years? Where is it headed?

It has an orbit around the sun. Right now I believe it's close to mars.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
This is really awesome, some stories I've read say that this is "proof" that we live in an electric universe. How this is proof, im really not sure and Im not sure if they are sure lol..
In any case, its very interesting..
check it out

[image link removed (too large)]

This I don't think is true. It's Distance is nowhere proportional to Jupiter. I bet it's cloud is as big as half of Jupiter though, no doubt. The core itself looks as big as earth, which isn't good if the OP is correct.

[edit on 10-30-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Tom_Proctor

Its between mars and jupiter.

Comet Holmes orbit

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Although this comet is very interesting, i think we should keep in mind that what its doing has been seen before. Not only that but there are other comets in orbit that have had sudden increases in brightness by large amounts for no apparent reason aswell.

A little research removes a bit of mystery from the situation i think

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 7seven

No other comet has brightened a million times over night as far as I know.

I found a video of it. But I think in this video, the strange increase/decrease in light over time must be the camera guy adjusting the intake of light or something.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Tom_Proctor

Sorry, i forgot to add the text from the APOD website that was at the bottom of the image.. it is what it would look like IF it expanded near Jupiter.
It was late and I was tired lol..
Image source

Explanation: Go outside tonight and see Comet Holmes. No binoculars or telescopes are needed -- just curiosity and a sky map. Last week, Comet 17P/Holmes underwent an unusual outburst that vaulted it unexpectedly from obscurity into one of the brightest comets in recent years. Sky enthusiasts from the northern hemisphere have been following the comet's progress closely. Pictured above Quebec, Canada, the coma of Comet Holmes has been noticeably expanding over the past few days. In the above picture, an image of Jupiter has been placed artificially nearby to allow for a comparison of angular sizes. Jupiter has been scaled to the size it would appear at the current location of Comet Holmes. How Comet Holmes will further evolve is unknown, with one possibility being that the expanding gas cloud that started from its recent outburst will slowly disperse and fade.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

ok granted its unusual, but i suggest theres a simple explanation for the sudden increase in brightness, as people have suggested maybe a release of gas from the comet or something? bascially im trying to point out that the theory of NASA shooting rockets at it seems too far fetched for me. Nor do i believe its planet X, however i wouldnt rule out the possibility of its existance. Just my opinion though, very interesting story will keep an eye on it

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join