It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

650,000 would die from bird flu, says Govt.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hello I advise everyone in the world quit their jobs learn the forex market, sell your cars, do not be consumers, grow and eat only organic food and prepare for future, QUANTUM VIRUSES AND NUCLEAR WAR are coming.

Source:650,000 would die from bird flu, says Govt.

650,000 would die from bird flu, says Govt.
David Harrison
Last Updated: 1:05am GMT 29/10/2007

It is a grisly scenario: 650,000 deaths, with bodies piled up in shipping containers before being buried in mass graves all over the country.

That is the nightmare envisaged by the Government in what it describes as the "very likely" event of a bird flu pandemic.

The alarming prediction is contained in a confidential Home Office document drawn up to help councils and other organisations deal with a catastrophic outbreak of the deadly H5N1 strain of the virus.

It says that an estimated 650,000 people in England and Wales could die from the virus in a "reasonable worst-case scenario" – more than double the 320,000 estimated in the "prudent worst-case scenario".

[edit on 29-10-2007 by K-illuminati]

Posting Work Written by Others

[edit on 11-15-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
wow.rather numerous deaths. is this just in the U.S. alone? I commend you on your findings but what's the site?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Way low k-ill. The stadiums will be funeral pyres for the millions dead. 'Bring out out your dead', but I'm not dead yet! Really, it's just a bad cold! I'm feeling much better now TY...boink.

[edit on 5-11-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Eh, 650,000 isn't that many people. That tsunami wiped out something like 300,000 or so in one day. Drop in the bucket, really.

Besides, that estimate is based on some very implausible scenario where a mutation of the virus happens that is particularly deadly and stays that way. But everybody likes a good doom story.

Doom!

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
If you guys read the article, it says 650,000 in England and Wales. No mention of the US or anywhere else.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have to agree with Nohup here in that this sounds like a scare tactic not based on current trends with Influenza A H5N1 research. There is really no way to predict how many deadly infections would occur, especially when the argument surrounds the family of viruses found in Orthomyxoviridae which can alter the glycoproteins found on their lipid envelope. Not only can they rearrange and change Hemagglutinin binding factors on the surface, but they can also alter the Neuraminidase enzymes to reassemble and bud at faster and slower rates. This means that by the time a worldwide human infection occurs H5N1 will likely alter its genetic structure enough to be slightly discernable from its forbearer, such as mutating it's 5th glycoprotein of Hemagglutinin (H5) into a 7th protein (H7) thus continuing antigenic drift.

Currently, Influenza A and all serotypes infecting humans currently such as H1N1, H3N2, or H1N2 all bind with the sialic acid receptors on human cells that only have 2' or 6' Alpha receptors. H5N1 and all Avian subtypes, in contrast, currenly only bind with 2' or 3' Alpha receptors. This also points out that slight mutations in Hemagglutinin are responsible for the largest amount of cross-species infections because of the high rate of errors produced during Influenza A transcription. My current guess would be that although the virus shares the possibility to infect humans on a large scale it would also take some evolutionary modifications to its RNA Polymerase enzyme to establish a virulence that would rival the casualties inflicted by other Influenza viruses such as H1N1 did back around 1918-1919.

Although H5N1 does have extremely high virulence (50%-60% from what I last heard) it would be a leap of faith to say large numbers of humans would die from a Panzootic infection that has yet to fully show how many mutations it can make once established.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Motherf0ck what the government tells us.

new topics

top topics

join