It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What "animal" is this?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Ok, at first it looks similar in texture or material as jellyfish or medusas, but i never had seen a "tubular" one and so huge. Any body have seen or know what kind os animal is this?

www.youtube.com...

I would love to know if this is a kind of huge sea worm, or a exotic tubular kind of jellyfish.
Cyas

[edit on 29-10-2007 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Looks like a jelly to me... Those comes in thousands of different shapes, so it is inevitable that we cant recognize it immediately.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Could very well be an unusual Jelly. There are TONS of different types, and not all have been discovered yet. Plus, when out of the buoyant realm they live in, they tend to take on shapes that are gross exaggerations of how they appear in their native environment.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I would love to see this one in all it's explendor in the water. I love Jellyfishes, they are so beautifull and so deadly at the same time.
I have lots of books and movies about them, but i never seen anyone as i sayed before so "tubular". Amazing animal indeed.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I would put my money on Cestum veneris AKA venus' girdle AKA Comb Jelly. See:
Family Cestidae
Wikipedia Ctenophore
Image Search

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
I would put my money on Cestum veneris AKA venus' girdle AKA Comb Jelly. See:
Family Cestidae
Wikipedia Ctenophore
Image Search

Thank you very much Gemwolf, Great links. I also belive then it is a big Venus girdle, too similar yes. The one in the movie can very well be flat instead of tubular.
In fact they say in one of your links:

"This family does not sting as the Cnidarians do, rather they emit a gooey glue substance from the tentacles that sticks to their prey long enough for their long arms to enclose it and push the victim into their mouth."

What explains why the guy filming touch it with his fingers so easly

They are in fact wondrous/fantastic creatures.
Thx mate

[edit on 30-10-2007 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   
When I lived in the Pacific Northwest, we frequently squished jellyfish with our hands, and never heard (at 11 years old) that some were poisonous. We stuck our toes in the sea anemonies. Snapped kelp like whips. But I never encountered this ever before. I guess that it is some kind of jellyfish.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by addvantage666
When I lived in the Pacific Northwest, we frequently squished jellyfish with our hands, and never heard (at 11 years old) that some were poisonous. We stuck our toes in the sea anemonies. Snapped kelp like whips. But I never encountered this ever before. I guess that it is some kind of jellyfish.

As stated before it looks a "venus girdle"!
Weird & beautifull animal indeed.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
its a fresh water sea worm and they are rare like only a 100 of them left
not kiding

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
just a lot of good photoshop and video editing. sorry man thats all it is

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Very cool. Venus girdle . . . love to learn new things. Thanx

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aether

Err... Have you read through the thread?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
yep whats ur point? please don't response with wanna be quirks.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Aether

If you read the thread then you would have clearly seen that it's a real animal - and not “photo-chopping”/video editing... ?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
lol so what is it genius lawl gg

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Draco87
not kiding

So fresh water AND sea water? interesting. Like a salmon.

Here is a video of a Veuns girdle (among other jellies).

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis
Ok, at first it looks similar in texture or material as jellyfish or medusas, but i never had seen a "tubular" one and so huge. Any body have seen or know what kind os animal is this?

www.youtube.com...

I would love to know if this is a kind of huge sea worm, or a exotic tubular kind of jellyfish.
Cyas

[edit on 29-10-2007 by Umbra Sideralis]

looks like aqua-man took a dump to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Draco87
not kiding

A fresh water (Sea) worm aaaa right.

Somebody must have neglected to tell it the Sea was saltwater hence the reason it beached itself.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I see a bunch of Jacks and tiny brown Jellies swimming with the Venus Girdle in that video. I would assume that the video stikkinikki posted was filmed in the Caribbean/Tropical Atlantic. Those small brown Jellyfish are extremely numerous around the Bahamian Islands, which is also where the Original OP posted video is claimed to have been filmed. I am very familiar with South Florida, The Keys, and The Bahamas, yet I have never come across such a creature before. I've seen 10 Foot Hammerheads washed up, and in the water, had my brushes with Great Barracudas, and seen some truly amazing things, but this Venus Girdle is new to me. Cool Thread

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Cool video. I assume the venus girdle is what you see about 25 seconds in.

The other jellies that have the defense mechanism of creating fake eyes seems to have a very poor results.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join