It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What is reality? And if there is a definition who defined it? Is it science? Politics? Would it be truth? But what is truth? We know they go hand-n-hand but can we even define them? Wouldn't truth be the opinion of the person who believes it? And isn't reality real to some, in ways that aren't to others? So if reality and truth form us or define us and we cannot define them than can we even define ourselves? And on that note how can you know what you stand for if you don't know where it is that you stand? So answer me this friends-what is your reality and truth? And lastly I ask you which is the more important of the two? To tell you what I believe, Truth and Reality do not go hand-n-hand...for me.

[edit on 28-10-2007 by The Phantom]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
WOW!!

Man, You inspired me to a 'tune' dude, playin on my guitar; and just using what you wrote there.

You my friend have a thoughtful and poetic mind

You yourself defined reality pretty well in what you wrote just then. The "perception" of reality is a FAR greater power.

The fact that our mere observations effect proberbilties; screams volumes.

Who knows what 'collective consciousness' is capable of.

Im reading a book at the moment called:

The Holographic Universe

By Michael Talbot

The Holographic Universe

Considered together, Bohm and Pribram's theories provide a profound new way of looking at the world: Our brains mathematically construct objective reality by interpreting frequencies that are ultimately projections from another dimension, a deeper order of existence that is beyond both space and time: The brain is a hologram folded in a holographic universe.

An EXTREMELY interesting book, and I HIGHLY recommend it.

Good thread, and thought stirring words my friend.

Peace

AoN

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply and star AoN (I'm assuming that was you.)

It's nice to hear i inspired you to a tune.. good stuff.

and i just wanted to add, i think you're right about collective consciousness

unfortunately i don't think we'll ever see the day of human cooperation on a global scale.. probably not even anywhere close..

again, thanks

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Ah. I would call this solipsism. Which is basically the belief that the mind is the only thing exists. For instance, how can I prove that I am not the only thing that exists, and you, this website, and the entire world are not just figments of my imagination? There is no easy answer to your question. Reality is whatever we take it to be. And I agree, Truth and Reality are completely different things.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Solipsism? Cool.. I learned a new word today.

You're right, neither you nor I or anyone for that matter can prove that everything is just some twisted elaborate thought process of some sort.

Reality is whatever we take it to be, i agree with you.

Thanks for learnin' me that new word

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Anytime. I picked that word up from a friend the other week, actually.
Look it up if you want.

top topics

join