It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The: Learn about planets/universe post.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Ok, I've seen a lot of stuff recently about planets and life on other planets, solar systems and such like that. So let's start a thread about planets, solar systems. Whatever, where we will try and gather as much information as possible, about this subject. I'll start with a few websites...

Here is a catalogue of Planets discovered outside of our solar system: www.obspm.fr...

The number is at Global statistics: 87 planetary systems
101 planets
11 multiple planets systems

Alright, now let's see if I can't find something about mars...

Mars exploration past and present and future: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Here's a planetary factsheet that is way too technical for me: nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Now, I have gotten the ball rolling. Here is some things I know about mars but it is limited. Mars has a crust much thicker than earths, almost by 200 times as thick. Because of this thickness and the consequently cool crust, Mars's water most likely has seeped deep beneath the crust of the planet. Also due to mars's apparent lack of geologic activity, much oxygen and water has been locked away in limestone, where as on earth limestone subducted beneath a tektonic plate is melted releasing the necissary chemicals. It will take more than 1000 years to terraform mars to be like earth.

An interesting thing I know about Jupiter is its 1 mile wide lightning bolts, and also due to its hydrogen atmosphere and larger circumference, you can literally see thousands of miles, on earth you can see only about 100 at most?

Anyways, post what you know, and see if we can't get a GREAT ARCHIVE and TREASURE TROVE of scientific knowledge about planets and solar systems, and the universe in general.

Sincerely,
no signature

join