reply to post by pepsi78
Are you kidding me? That's depopulation? You still started with 2 people and ended up with 8.
You also assumed that the original 8 children won't be taught by their parents to ignore depopulation efforts, and have 5 or 6 or 10 or some
outrageous number of children themselves.
It might seem far-fetched, but that's exactly what would happen in 3rd world nations. Industrialized nations would still see people ignoring the
effort and having 2 or 3 children. At 2, there is no population decrease and at 3 there is an increase.
Why would people refuse to obey?
1. Religion - Both Islam and Christianity instruct people to reproduce. Some branches even oppose birth control!
2. Necessity - You'll have to read through the thread to figure that one out. Long story short, some peoples' ways of life require large families
3. Rebellion - Tell people they can't do something, and a large portion of them will do it just to be "bad."
4. Rights - Some people will argue that it is their right to reproduce. Without getting into a debate about what makes something a "right," we can
still conclude that there are people in this world who will do whatever they feel they have a right to until they no longer have the ability to do
5. Politics - Whatever position one side takes up, another will oppose. Always.
6. Indifference - Self explanatory.
7. Nature - It's human nature to reproduce. People will do it until the end of humanity, whether you try to stop them or not. Always, Period, No
Seven's a lucky number and I'm tired, so I'll stop there.
And for the record, a "crapload" is, among other things, however much verbal diahrea one can spew while advocating one of many steps into turning
the earth into a militant dictatorship.
[edit on 9-11-2007 by mattifikation]