It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Not Even Halloween Yet!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
When I was a kid, Halloween was just on Halloween.

Not anymore! The Piedmont Merchant's Association had a Halloween fest this morning. My daughter has been begging to get into her costume since I got it off Ebay over a month ago. She was thrilled to finally get to wear it ...

My son was cute but didn't understand why I put him in a hoodie:

They must have gotten three pounds of candy today alone. And we still have to go trick or treating on Wednesday.

I really liked how the dentist gave tooth care stuff, including floss and toothpaste.

My kids will only eat chocolate, so guess who gets to clean up the Sweet Tarts and the Skittles? Good thing I'm in the mood to store fat for winter anyway.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Aw MM how cute...
Lotsa candy wow...
I can't see you daughters face, but your little guy is simply adorable!!!
Great costumes!

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
You know whats even weirder MM is that we are getting Halloween stuff happening here in Australia.
It is not a cultural event that we have ever celebrated before, and nor should we imo. Now my kids school is organising Halloween events for the kids.

Why we are celebrating an American event like this is beyond me. The kids get enough junk food as it is.
Anyway hope you guy's have a good one. BOO.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
AD, that boy is my little love. Even though he's sick and giving me a hard time today. At least he'll say "moo" when prompted, so the costume is a good choice for him.

Mojo, Halloween is probably the best thing from America you guys will ever get down under. There are worse things than trick or treating. I hope it grows on you -- my best childhood memories are of Halloween festivities and activities.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Id prefer it if we would celebrate our own cultural events with a bit more gusto rather than borrow another countries. Thats just me though.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wow Mojo! I had no idea you guys did not celebrate Halloween. I'm with MM on this one, when I was a kid, it was the best day of the year.
A few years back we lived on a farm. I decorated the entire driveway with hay and pumpkins, and our front porch with cornstalks.The best though, was that we turned our garage into a Haunted house.Cobwebs, glow in the dark creepy things, fake eyeballs in jars,skeletons etc...
Lots of sound effects too.It was a blast and the kids loved it.
Where we live now it's a no go.Kids in this city would just as soon swipe your decorations as beg you for candy.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Its heading that way that we will end up celebrating it eventually.

Nothing against you guy's but it really irks me that we have to continue to Americanise our culture here, we have enough in our own history to celebrate but it seems now its all about baggy pants, baseball caps on sideways, celebrating Halloween etc.
Id rather see my kids dressing up as Ned Kelly or some of our famous explorers.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Not offended, mojo, I can see your POV for sure.

It's not just happening in AUS though. In this city we end up celebrating a lot of Mexican holidays like Dia De Los Muertos and Cinco de Mayo. At my daughter's private school she learned (and did rituals and celebrated) all sorts of international holidays such as Ramadan, Diwali, Hanukkah, etc.

I think it's not so much the Americanization of Australia as it is the globalization of every country.

I really missed Halloween when I was in the UK. I'm actually glad that it is the American holiday that's going abroad. It could be worse.

[edit on 27-10-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I can understand the kids learning about Ramadan and Hannukah etc because we are a multi cultural society and they are religious festivals, its the festivals/events that do not add anything culturally that i find bothersome. But hey, maybe im just turning into a conservative old grump.
Maybe its because i dont want to fork out more cash for lollies since weve just had 4 kids birthdays in the past 6 weeks and xmas is fast approaching. Perhaps im turning into scrooge.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I vote Scrooge! LOL.

Halloween is part of American culture. So it's just US you have a problem with, hey?

So much for being on your crush list.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Noooooo..i'm sure my kids would love Halloween, it just worries me that it may be one more nail in the coffin for other purely aussie events. I think your right, Scrooge seems to be the best fit for me.

Maybe it's just that the Americanised stuff seems more prevalent. I guess the European and Asian cultural events are embedded here because that is where our major immigration influx came from, it seems normal to have those European and Asian influences. I guess i could handle Halloween if we could just get rid of some of the more negative US influences like gang culture, crap fashion, barbie doll icons etc.
Please dont hurt me.
You know i love you guy's.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I could do without the gang culture and crap fashion myself. But Halloween ... don't be messin' with my holiday, yo.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

My bad. I think ive hijacked your thread quite enough anyways.

Guess im being a bit hypocritical anyway considering how i have entered into the Halloween Short Story contest.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Mojo, I'm all for stream of consciousness on BTS anyway. The thread theme was Halloween. No hijacking occurred.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I couldn't help but notice that inflated rubber glove in that first pic.

For some odd reason it made me want to cry.

Cute kids!!

Have a safe and happy halloween!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The glove is a trick I learned to keep my son quiet while I'm at a doctor's appointment. He loves his udder-shaped balloon, and it lasts longer than a regular balloon. Plus it usually keeps him entertained long enough to finish my appointment.

Don't think I haven't considered how to attach it to the front of his cow costume.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Ok stream of consciousness thingy again MM.
What in the world possessed the first person to look at a cow and decide to pull on the dangly things and drink whatever comes out.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Lactation is lactation. I don't think it's much of a leap from mom's milk to a cow's.

I don't get how they discovered cheese. But I'm grateful. Cheese is one of the pillars of my diet.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

did someone give them a tooth brush in their goody bag as well :p
also whats up with that deformed fruit

and i thought Halloween was 31 or something like that?
so how comes trickle treating early

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The "fruit" is a gourd. Painting and decorating gourds and pumpkins is part of the tradition, better in my opinion than opening up a pumpkin for carving because I hate that smell. Gah.

Halloween proper is on the 31st. But the littlest kids get special events the weekend before in a lot of places, because the night proper can be a bit intense for them.

I like to go to the events like this one because all the treats are given out by local merchants at their stores, so you don't have to worry about poison or razor blades.

The dentist gave my daughter a toothbrush, floss, toothpaste and a sticker in a goody bag. Much needed on a day like today.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join