It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any guitar players in here?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by IrishLass

i would...go take a few lessons...learn proper hand position. get some real time feedback.
take some notes on the open chords.

get the basics down and then you can build yourself from there.
of course lots never took a lesson but if you have a chance to get a few in, why not you know...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If anybody can tell me how to post pics I would appreciate that....

I have

1991 Gibson Les Paul Special (AVATAR: At Grand Canyon jammin out by myself)

2006 70's reissue Fender Staratocaster cream with maple neck and large headstock (Think Hendrix @ Woodstock)

Ibanez RG (something) great lil metal axe.

5 string bass

Acoustic (classical)

I record at home, Logic Pro, M-audio, Line 6 Roland etc......

:w:

[edit on 8-11-2007 by Steff]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I been singing and playing the Blues in beerjoints, bowlingalleys, BBQ shacks and small festivals for 20yrs. Both solo and with groups.
Mostly I play slide in open tunings, G usually,
with a square neck dobro.
6stg strat thru a SS fender amp.
My current focus is the upright bass, playing with a Django style jazz band, with a houseband gig in a small bar.

You gotta love it, cause there sure ain't no money in it. We just finished 3 sets for $50 from the bar, $24 in tips, free beer and a Hamburger.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 9-11-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Steff

First you need to upload the image somewhere on the Web - like ImageShack for instance - so that it has a URL.

When you open your posting page, you'll see a row of buttons at the top. The one in colour that shows a computer monitor and colour palette opens a dialogue box when you click it. Paste the image URL in the box and click OK. You're done.

If you're fussy like me, you might want to preview it so that spacing between image and text is consistent and tidy.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Self-taught guitar player here. Acoustic to be specific. Been pickin' for quite a while now. I have a Takamine and a Martin. Love to play as much as I can, but I recently have been humbled. Fellow acoustic pickers should appreciate this guy....hell every guitar player should be inspired by this guy.

Check this out!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This is the style of music I am currently involved in. I'm barely hanging on.
And I'm just playing bass fiddle.

[edit on 10-11-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yeah, you gotta love Tommy Emmanuel.
Tommy Emmanuel - Angelina

Tommy Emmanuel - Those Who Wait

[edit on 10-11-2007 by Topsy_Kretts]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
robot guitar

this thing can tune itself..where's the ai so it can play itself too?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm a guitarist and a violinist, although I also dabble in Banjo, Mandolin, Lute, Oud, and Stringed Bass. Just like whaaa I do the Gypsy Jazz Django thing, and here is a picture of the music room in my house:

Take care, and it's always nice to meet a fellow player.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Sweet Jazzerman...Is that 2 Selmers I see?

Here's my new strat, and one pic of my playground......Not much but it makes me happy

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Nice steff, even though I never play my strat I do have an affinity for them as far as solid body electrics go...and I particularly like your white/cream colored one...is that a 70's style headstock?

My instruments are...

-Manouche Modele Jazz (the Selmer with the small oval hole)
-Gitane D-500 (one of the first one's built by Gitane)
-Agile AS-920 (the archtop in the picture)
-Homemade Strat (using a '62 reissue neck with Mahogany body, vintage pickups with cloth wiring, etc.) This is one of 5 Strats that I have built, and the only one I currently own. I sold one I built for some $2,500 on eBay a few years back.
-Early 19th Century violin (probably made around 1810) that I restored myself.
-Another as of yet unidentified violin

Unfortunately I have now sold my Banjo and Mandolin for offers that I couldn't refuse, but hope to be buying another of each soon.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
nice......I always wanted one of those Gitanes, but was gonna settle for the 250. I would never have taken your jazzbox for an Agile? Nothing against them, just never tried them. I used to have an Aria L5 model.....So sweet. I used to tour with jazz bands in Europe (straight ahead real book swing/bebop).......If you have not heard them, I reccomend a couple of Swedish guitar players

Check out

Andreas Öberg.........SICK Django style player as well as fusion and jazz

Ulf Wakenius.........SEE ABOVE

Of course Birelli Lagrene......Saw him at Royce Hall here in LA awhile back

Sylvain Luc....................Another very tasty player.

EDIT FOR: Yes its a 70's reissue with the big headstock

[edit on 13-11-2007 by Steff]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Right here! I only just started playing, but guitar ROCKS!(quite literally actually, lol) I have a cheapo Squier Strat and an SX custom acoustic, just learners guitars basically.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
12 years and still jammin'

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I play guitar, piano/keyboard, write, and sing...

But my forté is drumming.

Applying some of the fundamental rudiments of drumming to strumming/picking is wise - just change RLRR LRLL to UDUU DUDD for the paradiddle for example...
R= right
L= left

U=Up
D=Down of course...

Learn drumming rudiments. This will get you closer to your Wylde fantasies.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prozac Heart
Right here! I only just started playing, but guitar ROCKS!(quite literally actually, lol) I have a cheapo Squier Strat and an SX custom acoustic, just learners guitars basically.

There is nothing wrong with either of those guitars if they are adjusted properly so that they are as easy to play as possible. Learn how to adjust them yourself.

www.projectguitar.com...

Welcome to the majic world of wire and wood. Rock on!!

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I've been playing for about a year now. I love it.
Right now I'm learning the intro for Crazy on You by Heart

My instuments are:
Electric Guitar - Ibanez
Acoustic Guitar - Alvarez
Banjo - Mastercraft
Bass - Epiphone
Keyboard &
Harmonica

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzerman

some nice stuff you got there,i get damaged guitars on the cheap lol.

have you noticed much variation between different woods in terms of resonance and pitch?.

you seem like a technical and well financed guy,have you ever considered constructing your own stringed instruments?,

i want to dig a large pit in my back garden,encase it in sheet metal, then stick on an array of piano strings.....
.... and summon the seraphim!!.

give it a try!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Great to see a thread dedicated to the guitar! I started playing when I broke my foot about 5 1/2 years ago. I was fortunate to have a good friend who turned me onto it as a means of keeping myself from going crazy with boredom sitting at home. Luckily for me I have fairly long fingers and good dexterity, which made it a lot easier. Both of us are into metal so it was easy to find songs to play together. We started off slowly with a little (cough, choke) Metallica, and quickly progressed to better things, like Tool and Mudvayne. He was quite amazed at how quickly I picked up on it. Just goes to show if you're into learning something, you will find it much easier. We formed a band later that year and, as he is more rhythm based, I took up playing lead. This was better for me as I like to shred more than play chords. My main gear is a B.C. rich Platinum series Bich into a Digitech RP100A, Boss V-wah modeling pedal, and Kustom amp. I like the heavier things, so this setup is great for me. I plan to buy an Ibanez Xyphos next, and would like a Mesa Stiletto stack to plug it into. These are both wishes at this point, but christmas is coming...

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Present and reporting for duty.

I've been playing for the last 5 years or so.

/tn.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join