It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-air

page: 1

join
share:
TL

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
What is the best known anti-air? How does it stand versus the F-22? The reason why I say "known" is because obliviously countries don't just go "hey look, we just made this anti-air system, take a look at it's specs/design etc. so you can copy it!".

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TL

your going have to narrow your field here. Are you talking SAMs or radar guided guns ect?

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The best anti-air weapon would be a nuclear bomb right on the airfield. Following that, dedicated fighter planes are pretty good at bringing down other planes.

TL

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I mean any type (except nuclear bombs
) and I meant ground units.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Well, for short range stuff, a bullet fired straight at a turbine blade damages them pretty badly, as does a genade in the engine or water in the fuel tank.
srz

Basically, this is the best link you could read: List of antiaircraft weapons

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
That isa very simplistic question. You should try to understand how an integrated IADS would work.This should help

p076.ezboard.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TL
What is the best known anti-air? How does it stand versus the F-22? The reason why I say "known" is because obliviously countries don't just go "hey look, we just made this anti-air system, take a look at it's specs/design etc. so you can copy it!".

It's all so speculative. However, it is worth noting that the Royal Navy (British) merrily tracked US stealth bombers in the Gulf War 1, much to the surprise and annoyance of their "brothers in arms".

We have the appearance of a new generation of naval ships some which field radars whose performance can only be guessed at, especially when coupled with the missiles... The S1850M long range radar on the Type 45 is supposed to be capable of detecting stealth targets and this radar is the type fitted to other European warships. This should not be seen as a surprse as these new ships are meant to counter current and futuire threats, some whicn may be stealthy (i.e. stealth missiles). Stealth missiles are already around - take Stormshadow for example.

So, beyond the hype, I don't actually think that stealth is as invulnerable as we are led to believe in the medium term. Perhaps the US knows this, which is why they are not investing in too many F22s - what's the point if in a few years an would be doing the same as an F15! Oh, controverial!

Regards

[edit on 27/10/2007 by paraphi]

new topics

top topics

join