It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember the story about an Israeli warship being hit by Hezbollah missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What has ever come of it? Was it ever determined that it was of an Iranian origin? The stories seemed to quiet down really fast about it. Is there any additional info, or takes on it? VID LINK

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Isn't surprising. That kind of thing has been going on since the established state of Israel in 1948. They instigate a situation and throw their own people in the line of fire, once retalitory action is executed, they run home, crying to momma. Momma being the most effective military in the world.

I think Hezbollah had thrown a punch that landed too hard to react. Like when the bully gets punched out by the nerdy kid in every disney movie from 1984 - 1997. The ship was also reported by media outlets before the strike from Hezbollah, saying it was launching unprovoked missile strikes in the region. That was heard by enough people that Israel and the U.S. had no other choice but to walk home with it's forked tail between it's legs.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lecter

If I remember correctly it was an probable Iranian guided missile that hit nearthe edge of it's range. The Israeli Capt. of the vessel hit did not follow some of the proper procedures and that help the attack succeed. He did get reprimanded.

No big coverup. Payback time will come soon enough. One thing that Israel doesn't do is forget.

Hey my memory is pretty good still.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
censored

[edit on 26-10-2007 by Lecter]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

The Israeli military has alleged that Iranian military advisors from the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) had assisted with deploying and readying the missile launcher.[7]

Why would they need any help readying anything? Islamic fighters have been using their enemy combatants weaponry against them for centuries. These loose links are a pathetic attempt at further demonizing Hezbollah and Iran. It could be a United States Stinger Missile that they were all about handing out at the truckload during the Soviet conflict in Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues

Why would they need any help readying anything? Islamic fighters have been using their enemy combatants weaponry against them for centuries. These loose links are a pathetic attempt at further demonizing Hezbollah and Iran. It could be a United States Stinger Missile that they were all about handing out at the truckload during the Soviet conflict in Afghanistan.

Doesn't seem like you read very well. The weapon in question was either a C-802 or a Kowsar, both Chinese missiles that are in the Iranian inventory. For the Kowsar they might have need tech help with it, hence the Revolutionary Guard reference. Those are not Israeli missiles as you seem to imply. Iran's Revolutionary Guard is well know for it's training and support of Hezbollah. Stingers are infrared surface to air missiles. You are taking vauge guesses and very inncorrect one's at that. Please explain why these are "loose links" as opposed to your .........evidence????

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Only remember reading a small peice about this before it vanished from the new's, iirc it was stated that the anti missile defences on the ship were jammed and that it couldn't defend itself before the missile hit.

Isreal's sale's of tech to china comeing back to haunt them?

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

You know what? You're absolutely right. I usually stick to my guns and went out of my "comfort zone" on this one. I have no concern for weapons or weapon systems other than my handguns and rifle. I have no real knowledge outside of point/shoot. I did do some reading, however and had come across a few interesting points..

From the Sheffield to the Stark, through countless exercises countering a C-802 class missile – this engagement is about as bread and butter as you get. On the easy-to-hard scale; the C-802 is on the easy side.

... So maybe not so difficult to use, because of the common form of engagement and the fact that the technology has been in the region since the early 1990's? Also the fact that Iran has it's own version of the C-802 since then and have been sold through out the region as said "Kowsar." I don't think you would need help deploying or using that kind of technology when it's been in the region for 15 years and now have a local manufacturer that develops the system in their own dialect.

The Times says that "while Iranian missile supplies to Hezbollah, either by sea or overland via Syria, were well known, officials said the current conflict also indicated that some of the rockets in Hezbollah’s arsenal — including a 220-millimeter rocket used in a deadly attack on a railway site in Haifa on Sunday — were built in Syria."

It's been "well known" that formal and informal dealings within Lebanon from Iran and Syria were pretty common. Who's to say they didn't get the weaponry from Lebanon, or even Syria for that matter? Because it was an Iranian missile, or a Chinese missile, initially bought by Iran and sold Formally to Syria? Why would it be Iran's responsibility for how the weapons are used, unless it's using them directly? You see what I'm saying about "loose links?"

In 2005, Iran exported around $100 million worth of military hardware. Its defense industrial base has grown significantly and today manufactures a range of systems and platforms, from small arms through shaped explosive charges and rockets to helicopters and aircraft. However, it is not the loss of this rather insignificant source of foreign currency -- Iran exported an estimated $63 billion worth of commodities in 2006 -- that will cause Tehran to wince if the sanctions are approved by the U.N. Security Council this week. Rather, it is the loss of a key foreign and national security policy tool.

It's a guessing game with even similar weapons floating around Tajikistan, Azerbaijan and Algeria, maybe the other 37 nations that have done arms deals or military services with Iran in recent years. The reason it dropped off the airwaves is because, it was a poor attempt at linking Iran to the attack on "The Spear." The unconvincing link between the attack on the ship to Iran ended up being just another development in the war between Hezbollah and Israel. Cut and dry, black and white.

Looks like we didn't take the bait. Don't worry, I'm sure AIPAC has plenty more.

Info
Info
Info

top topics

join