It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I could really use some advise from anyone who might now what to do about abuse at the work place.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hi, I have worked for this huge company for almost 4 years. I have recently been diagnosed with what is called PTTD (Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction). What that means is that I live with severe foot, leg and lower back pain.

After my podiatrist and my family doctor wrote notes restricting my duties at work I have had nothing but trouble from managers. Still making me walk all over the place on the cement floors and doing jobs that are not in my job description.

Now that part has ended because I think they finally looked up the descrimination laws but now I am dealing with a new kind of harassment. I will be working an 8 hour shift and I get told I must go to lunch after only being at work for 2 or 3 hours and then I do not get my last break of the day. I have been wrote up for missing work and the reason for missing work was because I couldn't walk to get into work.

I have had a manager tell me that she has asked all of the managers about my work performance and not one of them has anything bad to say about it. This tells me that she is looking to find a reason to fire me because it is not time for my review or my yearly raise.

I am being told that I must follow certain rules that are not being forced on anyone else in the building. One rule in particular is leaving at the end of the night. I am the only one who must walk to my vehicle with another person. Which means that I must wait for someone to be available or is leaving also so I can go home.

There is much more but I would like to know anyone's opinion on this much.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated. I am so frustrated that I am not sure I can deal with anymore abuse from this business.

Thanks.

P.S. I tryed to find the general chit chat board but I didn't see it, has it been removed? If this post belongs in a better place than here then please move it and let me know, thank you.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'd try to find out which of the managers is the instigator of all this new trouble and ask them for a meeting. Explain everything you've said here and tell them that enforcing rules on you and no-one else is causing you stress. Emphasise that you're already in physical agony but you're doing your job correctly as you've always done and that you NEED YOUR JOB. Also, if you suspect (and it sounds like it to me) that one or some of your managers are a bit on the sly side, beat them at their own game and take a recording of the meeting. (Secretly of course). You never know, what gets said at the meeting might come in useful to you in the future. Watch your back and good luck.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN

Record
Record
Record

Dates, times and exactly what was said and happened....

Than after you have some substantial info. take it all to your local employment office...

They have the ways, means and facilities to deal with this kind of crap.... You definitely DO NOT have to put up with this stuff...

I would also call an attorney and do one of their free counsel sessions. Find one that specializes in work place ethics. They are all over...

Good Luck

Semper

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Wow, that's a tricky situation and I do feel sorry for you, really, but one has to look at it from the employer's point of view as well, and the law will. Was your affliction work related?

Now....

I am being told that I must follow certain rules that are not being forced on anyone else in the building. One rule in particular is leaving at the end of the night. I am the only one who must walk to my vehicle with another person. Which means that I must wait for someone to be available or is leaving also so I can go home.

That sounds a little confusing. Is that for your security or what?

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
You may also want to visit your Human Resources department - there may already be a procedure in place for registering complaints, requesting a review of policies and procedures being forced upon you etc.

Sometimes, just knowing that an employee made a visit to Human Resources is enough to get them to back down - they don't want to lose their job just as much as you don't want to lose yours.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Keep records of everything, and make copies. Names, dates, names of witnesses, anything that might have bearing upon this situation. Do you have union representation? Go to the shop steward if you do, and to your human resources department, and think about legal representation. From your description, this is borderline illegal if not outright.

Best of luck.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yes, as another poster said, you must follow your company's guidelines for registering complaints....go to HR.

If a company does not KNOW what is occurring to you then they cannot remedy the situation.

Now, let's say you advise your HR about the hostile work environment and they STILL do not act upon or investigate your claims.....well, then they could hold themselves out for liability. If this company is as large as you say, they certainly have seen this scenario before.

One question....did your injuries arise from work-related activity? If so, then you may have a work comp claim....

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hi everyone, thanks for the input. I have to be getting to work soon so I just wanted to say that this issue has already been taken to the HR and she is part of the problem. The manager of the store says that I am being over emotional even though this harassment is documented by me with dates and times and the issue that I was harassed. Managers are saying that they are investigating the issues but the people harassing me are lying to them and they are believing them and not me. I am thinking that the managers are in on this situation.

I will write more tonight after work especially if more happens. I have tons of stuff documented and I am ready to sue the crap out of this company. My disability is not my fault and I hate having it, but to be treated unfairly only because I am aloud to have a stool to sit on when I need it is absolutely uncalled for. I am so upset.

Now I must go back there. Yuck.
I will keep you updated and anyone else with any info please help me out with ideas.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Oh ya.. one more thing.. there is no union. And what I mean by a big company is that there are retail stores all over the USA.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Well now after writing down a comment that the manager said to me, I have been documenting almost everything. Anyhow tonight the manager snuck up behind me and asked me if Iwas sleeping. I said no and she said so your just taking notes? I said yup.

When it was time for my lunch that same manager said that this girl was coming over for my lunch to take over my area and asked if the time was ok, this was after she snuck up on me when I was documenting what was going on.

They can't fire me cause I am good at what I do. So they are trying to make me quit. This is so illegal and I have to find a way to prove this.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am about all of this.

Anyhow, thanks ATS for letting me blow off some steam here and giving me some of your advice. I do like my job and I will keep plucking away at this and pray that management will soon change.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Stari

Where do you live? What country?

^ dont bother answering that... just read USA.

Can't offer any advice at all as it is outside the country I live.

You would of course, have agencies -> Employee advocates?

all the best with it!

[edit on 27-10-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What is the rationale about making you wait for someone to walk to your car?

ISTM, that once you're off the clock, they can't -make- you do anything. In fact if waiting, standing around, for someone else to go to your car, if that causes you pain (hint) it's illegal and actionable if they try to tell you it's required.

If you're not having luck with specific complaints, you could consider filing a complaint with your state OSHA.

Good luck!

[edit on 27-10-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Do it wisely like Semperfortis said. Log everything daily, and dont let anyone know you are keeping a journal on what is done or said to you.

I know what its like to have to stand in one spot for 9 hours and i have very bad arthritic flareups that consume me with pain. My employer doesnt want to hear about it. Period. So i stand in pain, i could get a doctors note and sit on a stool, but i constantly hear them badmouthing those who DO sit on account of foot problems.

I wish we would adopt the European way and sit at registers- i understand its done in Europe and people dont think of you as a lazy slob.

Keep doing a good job and if they fire you, you show your LOG to your attorney. Good luck

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Keep records of everything no matter how minor it may seem. Dates, times and any witnesses. If you can get the order that you must wait for some one to walk you out in writing; if they are requiring you to do so they have to pay you for the time you spend waiting. Get it documented from your doctor that you CAN do your job with minor accomodation which they are required to do. Is this medical condition work related? If so you have an even stronger case. Above all seek legal counsel.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. These cases are tough but as a shop steward I've won them before there are laws protecting you and an attorney is your best bet.

[edit on 27-10-2007 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
They say that there is a policy that states no one is aloud to leave the building at the end of the day without another person leaving at the same time. This is supposed to be for safety reasons. But I am the only one any of these policies are being enforced on. And that only started once I gave them 2 doctors notes stating that I can no longer stand on cement for 8 hours I was to be provided with a stool. They used to make me walk to the back of the store to get one off the shelf and then at the end of the night put it back on the shelf. Finally I purchased the stool and now I have to put it away in our electrical room at the end of the day which is close to the front of the building.

Also... there is only one thing with my job that I have problems with doing because of the pain of walking, and that is at the end of my shift I have to take back all of the broken items to the recieving area which is located at the back of the store. Every day I do my best to help other employees out with putting carts away taking payments and answering phones.

The other day I asked one of the cashiers if she was done with her job and if she would mind running my cart of broken items back to recieving and she said sure. The person in charge of the registers saw her and stopped her, after whispering to her she looked at me and shrugged her shoulders and said she was sorry but she is not aloud to help me.

I stopped him and asked him what that was all about and he said in a very mean tone that it was my job and my job alone and no one is ever going to help me with it again. You see before the notes they used to help, we all used to help eachother out all the time.

When I went to the manager she said she will look into it (a common initial answer from her), she was sure that guy had a good reason for it. Then she said to me that he had other things for that girl to do and It is my responsiblility to do that job no one elses. So I pointed out that I spend my day helping other employees with carts, taking payments and answering phones so why can't they help me out at the end of the day when I am my sorest? She said that I am a very generous person and just because I am so generous doesn't mean they are going to help me out.

Since that incident I have been sitting on my butt doing nothing but my job. I am soooooooo pissed.

This is harassment in hopes that I will quit.
This is against the law and I have to come up with a way to prove it.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Stari. This is undoubtably harrasment, and very actionable, your next step should be a lawyer. Take all your notes and go. Just be prepared for it to get even worse...

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Just be prepared for it to get even worse...

I know this is what I must do. I am in the process of condensing all of my data. I would write it all down on scratch paper and bring it home and put it next to my printer or on my bookshelf so scraps of paper with this data is scattered everywhere. I need to condense it all.

I have to explain something though, I understand that it WILL get a whole lot worse and I am not sure I can handle it. I guess I just need to complete my compiling of data and then get to a lawyer.

You guys have been a really big help and giving me lot's of encouragement. Thanks to everyone who has taken a few minutes to post thier thoughts and opinions.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 has loads of data which will help you out. I trust you are familar with this site? My wife and I refer to this everytime we move or I change work places.

Keep us up to date. Your ATS/BTS friends are here to support you. Right folks?

www.eeoc.gov...

If you have a disability and are qualified to do a job, the ADA protects you from job discrimination on the basis of your disability. Under the ADA, you have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity. The ADA also protects you if you have a history of such a disability, or if an employer believes that you have such a disability, even if you don't.

Reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a qualified applicant or employee with a disability to participate in the job application process, to perform the essential functions of a job, or to enjoy benefits and privileges of employment equal to those enjoyed by employees without disabilities.

An employer is required to provide a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant or employee with a disability unless the employer can show that the accommodation would be an undue hardship -- that is, that it would require significant difficulty or expense.

It is also unlawful for an employer to retaliate against you for asserting your rights under the ADA.

If you think you have been discriminated against in employment on the basis of disability after July 26, 1992, you should contact the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. A charge of discrimination generally must be filed within 180 days of the alleged discrimination. You may have up to 300 days to file a charge if there is a State or local law that provides relief for discrimination on the basis of disability. However, to protect your rights, it is best to contact EEOC promptly if discrimination is suspected.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I could really use some advise from anyone who might know what to do about abuse at the work place.

Personally, I am all for it. As long as it is not sexual harassment. Ocassional beatings, tacks on chairs, buckets of water over cubicles, stealing staplers, urinating in the coffee, deficating on the boss's desk, calling the police and telling them you saw your co-worker on America's Most Wanted and having him picked up during the course of the business day, etc.....

Good clean fun!

new topics

top topics

join