It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what does patriotism mean to you ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Here in New Zealand patriotism is linked more to the Haka rather then the flag even thou that is the case Kiwis still have a lot pride in there country no matter where they are in the world. Personally I subscribe to the more traditional view of patriotism because of my Australian up brining. For me patriotism has been pride in ones culture and country rather then supporting a certain political party or troop deployment . I don't anyone outside of ATS who connects patriotism with the support of a war or political party.

The mustard cuts both ways the Greens are the only party who oppose the NZDF presence in Afghanistan and they aren't accused of being unpatriotic and in return they don't criticize the job that NZ soldiers are doing .

I welcome any input from other members.

[edit on 26-10-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
You've defined patriotism just fine. Patriotism isn't blindly supporting a certain party that might be in power in any given moment. It might be giving that party a halfway decent chance before condemning it as warmongering, or corrupt or whatever the current craze is.

No, your definition works for me.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Patriotism:

"Patriotism is voluntary. It is a feeling of loyalty and allegiance that is the result of knowledge and belief. A patriot shows their patriotism through their actions, by their choice."
(Author: Jesse Ventura)

I love my Country.

Even with all of Her faults, I love Her.

I will support Her no matter what.

I will never belittle Her just to be politically correct, or to "fit in".

I will never criticize Her in front of strangers. (Foreigners)

If I see Her straying from a righteous path, I will quietly work to correct Her.

I will serve my Country as long as I can draw a breath.

I will defend Her no matter what.

I believe in Capitalism, Conservatism, The Free Market and The Founding Fathers.

Just because others criticize my Country and me for supporting Her, does not make them right and me wrong.

I am a Patriot

I am

Semperfortis

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Amen, my friend. You said it better than I did. I plead I wasn't quite awake yet

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
To me, it means having allegiance to your country of birth or a country chosen by you to reside in and be a citizen of.

It means taking up arms, if need be, to preserve the country of choice, against enemies REAL, not imagined. Giving your life for the love of your country is the most noble thing a person can do.

It also means to me, preserving the good, the good that makes you happy to live in said country. It also means if the country goes to hell in a handbasket, raising up and DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Our forefathers set up a system which gave us the right to do so. Liberty and justice for all.

When a president wishes to change all that is free and good and has worked for hundreds of years, it is PATRIOTIC to question it, critizise it and rebel- and get things fixed. In my opinion, those of us who post here and are against the POTUS are the epitome of patriotism.

Love it? I love this country more than anything and that makes me patriotic.

We the people SHOULD have the power to fix what's broken- why dont we?

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I have a simple question.
If patriotism cant be tied to a political party how can it be tied to an economic system or political ideology ?
In terms of the Free Market doesn't that make anybody who lived before Reagan unpatriotic ?
I can understand connecting Capitalism with patriotism because it is more of a culture then an economic system. But connecting patriotism with an entire political ideology is or would just create divisions amongst society. When you connect patriotism to a political ideology that's when politicians and people start using there country's military personal as political pawns.
Apart of patriotism for me is that people can hold differnt beliefs without there loyalty.

Sure I will always speak out if I think that someone isnt getting a fair go or if I don't agree with an idea but if I connected patriotism completely to my political stance I wouldn't speak to an Aunt of mine who is heavily involved with the Labour Party in Queensland.

On another I'm not sure if remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice on ANZAC day is a cultural thing or patriotism.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Xpert,

That is what Patriotism is TO ME.....

It is a personal thing and will vary with each individual....

Also,

The free market, conservatism etc, are all things that I believe have made this country great, not specifically elements of patriotism..

Read my post,

It says.. I BELIEVE

Semper

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
patriotism is knowing when to yell your country that its wrong... no matter what. not matter how many people are against you

"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move.""
-Captain America

that's what patriotism is

"I'm loyal to nothing, General.. except the Dream."
-Captain America

patriotism isn't about a flag or a government or a military or a nation, it's about what the nation was founded on.

[edit on 10/26/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Xpert.

We all view the meaning of patriotism through our own eyes so naturally enough our views almost never appear in lockstep.

Patriotism is love, simply put. That love shouldn't be, nor can it afford to be, blind. Because that love will be used against you by the unscrupulous amongst us. I'm not just referring to America here, throughout history love of country has been used to raise the rabble for any number of nefarious reasons. So patriotism can never be blind, nor deaf, nor dumb; speak out when you feel it necessary, fight in whatever fashion is necessary...always realizing you might be wrong, and the other guy/gal might not be.

I will not allow my patriotism, or love, to be used against me without my consent, I try to think before I vote, before I comment, before I act in any fashion that may, or may not, affect my country. I'm only one man, but if we all thought this way, many do, many don't, our little ol' world might be a better place for our grandchildren, or in my case, grands nieces and nephews.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As an American, patriotism means that I believe in the values and principles of my nation and that I am willing to lay down my life in defense of those principles so that others may live free.

Moreover, it means that I strive to be a good citizen who understands our system of government and who respects the laws and institutions of my nation and that I actively participate in causes that further the greater good, such as voting, corresponding with my legislators and other officials to let them know where I stand on the issues of the day, and donating my time and money to the causes in which I believe.

It means that I will respect the will of the people in matters with which I may disagree, because I understand that every individual cannot have things his own way all of the time and because I know that there are legal means at my disposal to address my grievances.

Patriotism means that I care enough about my nation to learn about its history and those who dedicated their lives to the principles by which I live and that I have pondered and appreciate what it means that there are those who suffered hardship and even death to make my way of life possible.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

[edit on 2007/10/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Originally posted by xpert11
I have a simple question.
If patriotism cant be tied to a political party how can it be tied to an economic system or political ideology ?
In terms of the Free Market doesn't that make anybody who lived before Reagan unpatriotic ?

xpert11

A primary definition of patriotism does not include political or economic constructs. Patriotism is more of a social contract that forms a legal system.

Originally posted by Semperfortis
If I see Her straying from a righteous path, I will quietly work to correct Her.

Semper, I enjoyed your entire post, but this one line stood out for me. I disagree with the prevalent viewpoint that says we must be ready to loudly criticize her at the drop of a hat. There are times when we need to go that route, but not as a first step.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
It means that I will respect the will of the people in matters with which I may disagree, because I understand that every individual cannot have things his own way all of the time and because I know that there are legal means at my disposal to address my grievances.

Very nice Grady.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In terms of warfare, patriotism means that the individual feels a sense of allegiance to his country, that it is his duty to protect it.

In terms of peace, patriotism means that you can do whatever pleases you, as long as it does not infringe on any of the laws of that country, although you may feel a sense of compassion for the nation's society.

In terms of Business and Politics: Patriotism means not giving in to those bloody foreigners.

In a grander sense, Environmentalists could be said to be Patriots of Earth.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Patriotism means love of my country and devotion to her ideals. But that love and devotion must never ever be blind. To truly love ones country also means seeing not only it's strengths but equally important it's faults. It means celebrating and preserving the strengths and actively working to correct the faults. We are all equally responsible to act in a fashion that further improves our country's strengths and eliminate it's faults.

[edit on 28-10-2007 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This country was founded on discontent with the status quo. If it were not for the revolution we would still be part of the British empire. It was also founded on the relatively radical Englightenment idea of democracy. This early democracy was not perfect; only landed white men were allowed to vote. The American people gradually expanded that right to include men who did not own land, men of color and finally all women. Today only a few people would challenge that right. That is just one example of ways in which the country has changed in response to the will of the people.

Patriotism includes the necessity for all citizens to be informed on the issues of the day and to make intelligent decisions about what must be changed. It does not mean blind allegiance to the status quo, anymore than it did for the (here's that tired old term again) "founding fathers." In the Constitution a slave was considered 3/5 of a person; almost nobody would advocate that today. It does not include allegiance to any particular economic system. Capitalism is not mentioned in the Constitution.

In the early days the colonies were very different from each other in terms of their economic base, their size and the royal charters on which they were originally founded. All sorts of compromises were made at the Constitutional Convention in order to get the different colonies to work together. After the Constitution there were differences between the ideas of Jefferson and Hamilton, the Federalists and the anti-Federalists, and other issues and disagreements. There was no time in American history when things were static, when there was no conflict or controversy.

Patriotism, therefore, can and often does include repect and affection for the country and the willingness to defend it. But it has never required absolute agreement.

[edit on 6-11-2007 by Sestias]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I think it is worth bringing the fact that some shop owner flow the Mexican above the Star and Stripes and a veteran took down the Mexican flag.
I wonder if he would have gotten away with that a generation ago without being mugged ?
See this thread for more on this matter.

new topics

top topics

join